tankgirl2810

Immersion Evaluation of Video Game Experience

Post by tankgirl2810 on Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:57 am

Hi everyone,

As part of my honours thesis at the Queensland University of Technology was looking for people over the age of 18 who have played The Walking Dead Season 1 or Silent Hill 2. We want to understand how player agency and moral gameplay decisions can affect immersion.

You will also be asked to answer questions about your experience (in both a survey format, and
an optional interview format for some).

If you are interested in taking part in this study please follow this link:https://goo.gl/forms/Xo8U285ekWcKQ0bV2.

Please contact me via email at nicoletta.tancred@connect.qut.edu.au if you have any further questions. You will be provided with further detail prior to participating to ensure your decision and consent to participate is fully informed.

Thanks!
Please Note: If you could share this to people who might be interested It would be really appreciated.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:46 am

Greetings and Salutations tankgirl2810.

I completed the survey. Give us an update on your findings.

tankgirl2810 wrote:Hi everyone,

As part of my honours thesis at the Queensland University of Technology was looking for people over the age of 18 who have played The Walking Dead Season 1 or Silent Hill 2. We want to understand how player agency and moral gameplay decisions can affect immersion.

But as far as immersion goes what you are really missing here are more questions about the narrative itself.

The narrative and atmosphere (which includes both imagery as well as the soundtrack) of a game such as Silent Hill 2 is the real reason why people get as immersed as they do during a playthrough. Especially the 1st time you play the game.

Below are just a few examples...

Paying close attention by how the above cutscenes play out, as far as them adding weight to the narrative, and ultimately setting the tone as far as a "moral compass" is concerned is of the utmost importance when we are talking about immersion as far as Silent Hill 2 goes.

tankgirl2810

Post by tankgirl2810 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:18 am

Otherworld wrote:Greetings and Salutations tankgirl2810.

I completed the survey. Give us an update on your findings.

tankgirl2810 wrote:Hi everyone,

But as far as immersion goes what you are really missing here are more questions about the narrative itself.

The narrative and atmosphere (which includes both imagery as well as the soundtrack) of a game such as Silent Hill 2 is the real reason why people get as immersed as they do during a playthrough. Especially the 1st time you play the game.

Below are just a few examples...

Paying close attention by how the above cutscenes play out, as far as them adding weight to the narrative, and ultimately setting the tone as far as a "moral compass" is concerned is of the utmost importance when we are talking about immersion as far as Silent Hill 2 goes.

Hi There.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm focusing the immersive qualities provided by making active decisions in gaming. comparing the Walking Dead Season 1 with Silent Hill 2. Both are heavily narrative driven and I wanted to solely focus on how the choices and how their outcomes can influence the game.

As far as questions on narrative, I have a certain number of this I am able to do and maintaining this focus allows me to not go too far out of scope. Still thank you very much :).

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:58 am

tankgirl2810 wrote:Hi There.

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm focusing the immersive qualities provided by making active decisions in gaming. comparing the Walking Dead Season 1 with Silent Hill 2. Both are heavily narrative driven and I wanted to solely focus on how the choices and how their outcomes can influence the game.

As far as questions on narrative, I have a certain number of this I am able to do and maintaining this focus allows me to not go too far out of scope. Still thank you very much :).

No problem.

I just want to point out something else. (I hope you don't mind)

The choices and how their outcomes influence the game are all tied to the weight of the narrative. Making active (emotional) decisions all depends upon how immersed you are during that time.

Questions about how connected you feel to the characters and their plight is key. Narrative and atmosphere play crucial roles here.

You may want to consider that going forward.

Good luck.

Tabris

Post by Tabris on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:15 pm

I filled everything out etc etc.

This sounds fun ~

tankgirl2810

Post by tankgirl2810 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Thank you so much!!

Return to Silent Hill 2