Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

What 'Silent Hill 2' Gets Right About Mental Illness

Post by Otherworld on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:41 pm

What about Eddie? I was kinda bummed that he didn't get a mention. He was very intrinsic to James' realization of his own capabilities. He also appeared to have some mental or social disorder, which likely made it easier for him to fall into such a cold-hearted and isolated place as a response to the mistreatment from his peers.

I always felt able to connect to all three of the "tortured souls" on a mental level, so I tend to have a sympathetic feeling for him, at least more so than what I usually see from others talking about him.
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:17 pm

>rapes monsters as embodiment of sexual frustration

>"accurate"

No, it is not accurate. This isn't a reason people rape and besides that I am not entirely sure you could construe it as rape.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Great article. I think Eddie was not included because the intention was to highlight James mental illness and his relationship with Angela. Eddie and James got a different relation, they didn't share deep thoughs, they just talk under the surface and James only realizes about Eddie's mind in the prision. But Angela really interact with James, causing the transfer of her monsters to he, as daddy. At this point, Angela's illness matters to the story and the game.

The author could mentioned Eddie because there is a point when James told him - you can't kill people just because they laught (or something) - to kill because an awkward motive caricaturated, and than he feal real bad after to kill him, even with a rational reason. Situations that fit with James reality, he murdered his wife by (initially) stupid reasons and than regretted, even (in his mind) with rational reasons. So Eddie matters less, but matters to James endeavour.

But I agree with the author about the extreme well made stories about James and Angela illness.

Return to Silent Hill 2