F'sghost

Assorted ideas and short theories

Post by F'sghost on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:18 pm

Whats so hrd to figure out, guys? Jim had Mary in the trunk. He drank a lot (as do I) to forget past actions. Saw a random blank paper and "saw" Mary's writing on it (never got to that point, haha). Saw three facets of his own life getting their business done in there (Laura, Eddie. Angela). Then had to decide what path to follow. Mary's would been like Cybil in SH1, all of it over and over again. Laura's would be self forgiveness, of some sort. Water is just Jim doing the "morally correct" thing. And if you ask me, Rebirth makes no difference whatsoever from the Maria ending.
Stuck in a loop on SH. Old hat stuff.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Before you get snippy, some of us have been discussing and theorizing about this game since before there were really huge communities in which to discuss and theorize. We've had this figured out for years.

I also fail to see how the Maria ending is at all comparable to the Good+ ending of Silent Hill. The ending in which Cybil lives is not only nearly impossible on a level of narrative cohesion- it also carries out vastly different implications. There's also evidence to suggest that James didn't even really forget what he did until he came to town, not that he drank himself into amnesia.

And unless James is a complete sociopath, the Leave ending is completely impossible to see as one of self-forgiveness. His life as he knows it is over, and he'll have to start from scratch.

We're talking about the narrative consistencies between whether Rebirth can lead into Maria and In Water or not, please try to keep up.
Last edited by Disrupticon on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:47 pm.

F'sghost

Post by F'sghost on Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:34 pm

Well, that's what been obvious to me since 2001. I won't get snippy, why should I? We'll just have to agree to disagree, that's all.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:55 pm

Disagree about what, precisely? Because from what I can tell you came storming into this thread for no other reason than to nitpick. Nitpicking which wasn't even wholly correct, either.

In fact, this thread didn't even begin as one of speculation over Rebirth's precedence into other endings, it began as an organizational file for a plot guide that Ryan has expressed an interest in writing for a few years now. Ryan asked me if I'd be interested in contributing not terribly long ago, and thus I fielded some ideas that could fuel some discussion.

If you're going to come into a thread with guns blazing, at least try to pretend you're following along.

Thank you.

F'sghost

Post by F'sghost on Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Wow. Take it easy, fella. I've been around, dunno if as much as you but I don't wanna start anything inflamatory in here. Who knows, maybe your asessment is correct. I was just stating a moldy old opinion. No nitpicking, honest. In fact you guys give a lotta fresh new views on the whole shebang, and that's really cool. Thank you guys for actually keeping this relevant.
And sorry if I rub ya the rong way. Didn't mean to. My apologies.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:57 pm

Didn't rub me the wrong way at all, and if my tone sounded somewhat incendiary then that's probably on me. Some of us tend to take a pretty surgical approach to this kind of thing, and sometimes come off cold whenever someone else comes off a certain way.

It's fine.

Anyways, memory is failing me right now so maybe someone could help out here, is it ever outright expressed that James has a drinking problem? Or is it even a suggestion at any point? I know Ryan extrapolated upon it in his novelization but I've not much more to go on than that- as I don't have the game with me.

I imagine circumstances such as the ones he found himself in would lead to such a scenario.

MisterY

The lies and the mist are not they,but i

Post by MisterY on Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:16 am

About the endings... I think if InWater is the outcome, then Silent Hill would
will be pointless if you think of it he came there to die in the first place, so
he came there, and then he witnessed a unexpected situation wich coughts
his attetion that there will maybe a more nicer outcome for him, only he dont know this
for sure yet. so... i think he wish for the most beautifull outcome there is...
then it should be the Rebirth, to bring mary back to life again, couse he cant be happy without her(Not It!!!)
so the outcome will be more or less the same, if thats true, then i think the leave ending
and the InWater(Ofcourse dohhh) should get deleted of the list, couse he can get the
leave ending if he find a way to accept it, and i think the only way to accept it.
is to find a way thats more beautifull then his love. wich cant be. the maria ending may
supports this, couse the maria ending suggest he doesnt find a way yet, and have to
go Silent Hill several times to finally come to a conclusion.

Somebody have ideas about this?
Demon Slayer

F'sghost

Post by F'sghost on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Drinking problem ---> inspect the liquor boxes at Heaven's Night

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed May 11, 2016 12:03 pm

MisterY wrote:About the endings... I think if InWater is the outcome, then Silent Hill would
will be pointless if you think of it he came there to die in the first place, so
he came there, and then he witnessed a unexpected situation wich coughts
his attetion that there will maybe a more nicer outcome for him, only he dont know this
for sure yet. so... i think he wish for the most beautifull outcome there is...
then it should be the Rebirth, to bring mary back to life again, couse he cant be happy without her(Not It!!!)
so the outcome will be more or less the same, if thats true, then i think the leave ending
and the InWater(Ofcourse dohhh) should get deleted of the list, couse he can get the
leave ending if he find a way to accept it, and i think the only way to accept it.
is to find a way thats more beautifull then his love. wich cant be. the maria ending may
supports this, couse the maria ending suggest he doesnt find a way yet, and have to
go Silent Hill several times to finally come to a conclusion.

Somebody have ideas about this?

All I can say about this is James has no idea what will happen when preforming the ritual. Given Silent Hills nature, I highly doubt he'll get Mary back.

Previous

Return to Silent Hill 2