what

From behind the veil

Assorted ideas and short theories

Post by what on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:49 pm

I'm writing a plot guide for the game, which I hope will be something new and entertaining even for longtime fans. In this thread, I'm going to jot down ideas I want to include, discuss them with you brilliant darlings, and maybe learn a few new things.

I will only use material others create if I receive the author's permission, and the author will be credited.

To kick things off, I want to note that the game progression reflects the story rather neatly.

1. Mary learns she will die. This is a period of confusion and dread sets in.
2. The Sunderland home life rapidly deteriorates as Mary begins her slow decay.
3. James' attempts to cope fail and he turns to drink.
4. Eventually, Mary's condition forces her to be hospitalized full time.
5. It becomes too difficult for James, whose depression is making it hard for him to function. Mary also is badly depressed and terrified and lashes out at her husband. Deeply hurt and feeling hopeless, James stops visiting Mary in the hospital.
6. James' depression becomes even worse, to the point where he is a prisoner of his situation. He has lost all his happiness, his freedom, and his life.
7. Mary is released from the hospital, on the verge of death. They are not home again, but their lives are over and there is no hope. James kills her.
8. James takes her body to Silent Hill, their special place, intending to die by driving into Toluca Lake.
9. Before he does, in a moment, he creates the fiction of the letter and the hope that Mary is indeed still alive.
10. He learns the truth and his delusion vanishes.

All of these events correlate to what you actually do in the game.

1. The player learns that Mary died three years ago, leading the player to wonder how he got a letter as they progress toward town along a dark and increasingly menacing trail.
2. It becomes clear that something is very wrong in Silent Hill. The player makes their way through several deteriorating apartment homes.
3. At a certain point, the player escapes one apartment and into another, even worse and waterlogged.
4. James takes Maria to the hospital. They stick together at first, then he leaves her behind.
5. When they meet again, Maria yells at him. This segment ends with James running away from Maria and leaves her to die.
6. James quickly finds his way to Toluca Prison.
7. Escaping just brings him deeper. Maria returns, but dies soon after. James kills Eddie.
8. James rows across Toluca Lake. The contents of his letter vanish but he finds the Lakeview Hotel intact and begins to search for Mary.
9. Before he does, the content of his letter vanishes..
10. He finds 312, watches the tape, and his delusion vanishes. The hotel reveals its true form.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:02 am

^ This ties things together very well. I am also inclined to mention Eddie's line in the prison "Killin' a person ain't no big deal. Just put the gun to their head...pow!" This is worth mentioning, as far as where Mary dies in this timeline.

I do feel that the Labyrinth could make an appearance on your list as well.

You get lines like "How do you know about that! Aren't you Maria?" and "I'm NOT your Mary" as well as the fact that you have a solve a puzzle named "Free the Innocent Man"

Using the other characters, as far as what they say and how they correlate with the progression of the story is also a great way to ties things together. Mentioning how that timeline relates to each the locations and the interactions with the characters could help in giving the plot guide a lot more depth if you choose to do so.

BTW, I have no issue if you choose to use any of my material.

Silent Wanderer

Children of the Korn

Post by Silent Wanderer on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:54 am

I have some objections which I can't, of course, say are ...objective.

Mostly this:
what wrote:10. He finds 312, watches the tape, and his delusion vanishes. The hotel reveals its true form.

How do we know that's the hotel's "true form"? I mostly viewed it as a physical manifestation of the emotional situation. What I'm saying is, it seems to me we can't really say that was the hotel's "true form [state]". As much as I could say that it's unlikely the labyrinth/prison actually existed in a "normal" Silent Hill. It, again, seems to me like a manifestation of an "emotional abyss". Which again creates implications about what is the nature of the fog world and what each character sees. May I remind you of the phrase "they look like monsters to you"?

Also, what about the graves? That leads me to a few other thoughts about the destiny of the characters, too. And how a lot of what's happening could have been set up. Could we say that the town "selfishly" used the other characters to get to James? (Which again could debunk my own theory about the "moral values" the town seems to hold; Or in any way, that it doesn't hold any and does what it "has to" to make a point, although that still leaves holes as to how it picks its "victims" - Which again could point to the other theory that the town maybe has a moral system but the characters can also use its power depending on how strongly they feel about things; or that maybe the town reconsiders some things based on how the "story" is shaped - I know I probably gave you a headache, albeit a pleasant one :roll: )

And about the apartments... I don't really see the connection you make there. Is it about the hotel?

It would also be interesting if we discussed this thing about getting rid of someone. It could tell a lot of things about our own approach to these things as humans (feelings vs morality), especially when the game puts you in the shoes of a judge in the "game" that Otherworld brought up. It seems to me that it indirectly tells you to think twice before judging James. Or consider the implications of your judgement on your actual life. (Which is not directly related to the game's story but I feel it's one of its implications)

I don't really buy this either:
what wrote:8. James takes her body to Silent Hill, their special place, intending to die by driving into Toluca Lake.

Takes her body to Silent Hill? Where has that been proven? (Maybe it has and I missed it, not sure about that). (Unless you want to present it as a theory that is)

Intending to die into Toluca? That's one of the endings. It's plausible but can't say I really believe it to be the case that that was his main intention or thought. And it kinda contradicts the multiple endings [that it could be any of them]. (I know there are reasons to do that in SH1, so, yeah...* Here's a fitting example; mostly the #5 post.) You could still say that it may have been a thought he gets more driven into as the story goes on. I feel he would "grow" into that as the story progresses. Again, you can say quite a few things here.

* I've actually seen a theory that "there might be [is] a reference to James in SH3 by Douglas":
During the car ride, Douglas and Heather discuss the rumors of Silent Hill, and Heather's past as Alessa Gillespie. Heather also recaps the events of the first Silent Hill. Douglas mentions he went to Silent Hill once on a missing person's case, which may possibly be a reference to James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2. Douglas sits silently in the car, listening to Heather's feelings about her father's death.

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Douglas_Cartland (Video)

Which, nevertheless, seems like a total stretch to me. Anyway, he talks about a "missing person" which doesn't necessarily mean a dead person. Or James for that matter. Whatever. (Can we say we really know what his intentions where or when the illusions start to kick in?)

Just some thoughts I made reading your list... I'm not necessarily denying anything but there are many paths you could explore.

(P.S. I apologise if something I've called my own theory here has been said before in a similar fashion... I just mean they're thoughts and bits I've put together. Probably just put together in my own way.)

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:45 am

The "they look like monsters to you?" line is specific to Silent Hill 3. As Claudia is responsible for the look of the "monsters".

BoLM quote:

Missionary
Area: Apartment building
Character: Humanoid monster that obeys Claudia and carries out her commands
Metaphor: "Missionary." Cult member transfigured by Claudia's power, to Heather's eyes the appearance it takes is that of a monster.

The main constituent of the otherworld differs in each work of the series. <- BoLM quote as well.

BoLM quote:

[Silent Hill 3]
The shift to the otherworld that occurs in the shopping mall, among other places, has to do with Claudia. As she recovers her memories, Alessa's influence grows stronger.

^ This otherworld is completely different than the one seen in Silent Hill 2.

BoLM quote:

[Silent Hill 2]
Regarding James, who escapes from the crime that he has committed, elements from the depths of his consciousness are manifested. What the power of the town causes to appear before him is an otherworld that is a combination of his delusions and his desire for punishment.

In Silent Hill 1 and 3 there are people with unique abilities that can manipulate the towns power. In Silent Hill 2 elements from the depths of James' consciousness are manifested by the towns power itself. That is what causes the appearance of the otherworld that is a combination of his delusions and his desire for punishment.

So In Silent Hill 1 and 3 you are experiencing an otherworld (rememeber you are Harry and Heather) because of another persons with unique abilities.

In Silent Hill 2 you are experiencing James own delusions manifested by the towns power itself with no other outside influence. What you get is a much more personal otherworld.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:52 am

How do we know that's the hotel's "true form"? I mostly viewed it as a physical manifestation of the emotional situation. What I'm saying is, it seems to me we can't really say that was the hotel's "true form [state]".

Lakeview Hotel burned down a year prior to the game's events. There's a schedule in the employees lounge dated from "one year ago". This would have been what the hotel had looked like when the inferno was extinguished.

May I remind you of the phrase "they look like monsters to you"?

Vincent was talking about the cult members transfigured to look like monsters through the use of black magic on Claudia's part- specifically the Slurpers and Missionary. The rest were conjurations of Alessa trying to kill Heather.

Silent Hill 3 also follows different internal logic than 2 did.

Takes her body to Silent Hill? Where has that been proven? (Maybe it has and I missed it, not sure about that). (Unless you want to present it as a theory that is)

Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle states that. . .
The real reason James came to Silent Hill was to take his own life in a
place of memories. If this is the case, could Mary's body be in the car!?

It's also pretty obvious that he has her body with her, given that he's taken a liking to the idea of necromancy in one of the game's endings. And as Lost Memories is the voice of Team Silent. . .

Intending to die into Toluca? That's one of the endings.

This was his entire motivation. He clearly finds the idea of suicide unfavorable, but plenty of people that are suicidal do. This is also affirmed in Lost Memories: Silent Hill Chronicle.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:17 pm

Silent Wanderer wrote:I have some objections which I can't, of course, say are ...objective.

Objectify!

Mostly this:
what wrote:10. He finds 312, watches the tape, and his delusion vanishes. The hotel reveals its true form.

How do we know that's the hotel's "true form"? I mostly viewed it as a physical manifestation of the emotional situation. What I'm saying is, it seems to me we can't really say that was the hotel's "true form [state]". As much as I could say that it's unlikely the labyrinth/prison actually existed in a "normal" Silent Hill. It, again, seems to me like a manifestation of an "emotional abyss". Which again creates implications about what is the nature of the fog world and what each character sees. May I remind you of the phrase "they look like monsters to you"?

I used it as a term of convenience mostly, because fuck typing long posts on a tablet. It would be better to say that it the post-312 Lakeview Hotel is a lot more representative of its true state than it is before James gets to that point. What this spot might actually look like to the objective observer is really anybody's guess. Clearly, neither version of the hotel is 100% realistic (the final boss areas make that obvious). The Lakeview Hotel burned down about a year prior to the game, but the face of it James sees after his revelations looks to have just recently been extinguished perhaps moments ago.

Which brings me to an incidental point. It is while making his way through the destroyed hotel that James encounters Angela for the final time, and a final peek into the world she sees, the way she says she always sees it. We leave with the impression that Angela is doomed. Perhaps she is doomed to waste away and die. Perhaps she is doomed to not die and instead ascend forever through the inferno. Angela never had her own Room 312 moment. Her flames will never be doused, unless presumably, she is herself doused.

Also, what about the graves? That leads me to a few other thoughts about the destiny of the characters, too. And how a lot of what's happening could have been set up. Could we say that the town "selfishly" used the other characters to get to James? (Which again could debunk my own theory about the "moral values" the town seems to hold; Or in any way, that it doesn't hold any and does what it "has to" to make a point, although that still leaves holes as to how it picks its "victims" - Which again could point to the other theory that the town maybe has a moral system but the characters can also use its power depending on how strongly they feel about things; or that maybe the town reconsiders some things based on how the "story" is shaped - I know I probably gave you a headache, albeit a pleasant one :roll: )

I don't personally believe the town has any morals, agency or will. On the contrary, I feel that it is simply a machine that James' own darkness has turned on and is fueling. James is judging himself, punishing himself. The guide is going to go into considerable detail on how this works and why it happens.

And about the apartments... I don't really see the connection you make there. Is it about the hotel?

I have two list items for the apartments because there are two distinct apartments. One is falling apart (the disintegration of the Sunderland marriage), the other is falling apart and is waterlogged (James takes to drinking to cope with what is happening, and all it does is make a bad problem worse).

It would also be interesting if we discussed this thing about getting rid of someone. It could tell a lot of things about our own approach to these things as humans (feelings vs morality), especially when the game puts you in the shoes of a judge in the "game" that Otherworld brought up. It seems to me that it indirectly tells you to think twice before judging James. Or consider the implications of your judgement on your actual life. (Which is not directly related to the game's story but I feel it's one of its implications)

I absolutely agree and I think this is elemental to the story. There are some really meta concepts at work in this game, and I think one of them has to do with what sense one makes of the moral concepts.

For us, Team Silent created our otherworld, defined its rules, set up the scenario and gave us a lot to think about, but Team Silent consciously chose not to go beyond that. They defined four basic outcomes to the scenario and made it so that each of them makes sense and is a valid outcome of the progression of the story. Team Silent does not play the game for you, and Team Silent does not moralize for you. Team Silent says, here is this guy, he's here to do a thing. Help him do that thing and then figure out for yourself what it all means.

Go down one level and you have James making his way through a universe with specific rules but no guiding hand. As with any video game, James is your avatar, and even though his character is central to what is happening in the game, it is ultimately up to you to decide why he did what he did, and what sort of person that makes him out to be.

I don't really buy this either:
what wrote:8. James takes her body to Silent Hill, their special place, intending to die by driving into Toluca Lake.

[url=http://silenthillchronicle.net/XI.htm]The real reason James came to Silent Hill was to take his own life in a
place of memories. If this is the case, could Mary's body be in the car!?[/url]

I do think that it isn't necessarily certain that he brings her body, but I make the assumption that he does so that they can rest together at the bottom of the lake. He may not have brought her body along. The body he is trying to revive in Rebirth could very well be Maria's for all we know. That's why I love this fucking game.

Intending to die into Toluca? That's one of the endings. It's plausible but can't say I really believe it to be the case that that was his main intention or thought. And it kinda contradicts the multiple endings [that it could be any of them]. (I know there are reasons to do that in SH1, so, yeah...* Here's a fitting example; mostly the #5 post.) You could still say that it may have been a thought he gets more driven into as the story goes on. I feel he would "grow" into that as the story progresses. Again, you can say quite a few things here.

James most certainly came to town intending to die, but the fact that there are multiple endings is indicative of the fact that he isn't entirely sure he wants to. I wrote a thesis explaining my thoughts on this matter in more detail, please give it a read.

* I've actually seen a theory that "there might be [is] a reference to James in SH3 by Douglas":
During the car ride, Douglas and Heather discuss the rumors of Silent Hill, and Heather's past as Alessa Gillespie. Heather also recaps the events of the first Silent Hill. Douglas mentions he went to Silent Hill once on a missing person's case, which may possibly be a reference to James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2. Douglas sits silently in the car, listening to Heather's feelings about her father's death.

http://silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Douglas_Cartland (Video)

Which, nevertheless, seems like a total stretch to me. Anyway, he talks about a "missing person" which doesn't necessarily mean a dead person. Or James for that matter. Whatever. (Can we say we really know what his intentions where or when the illusions start to kick in?)

It may or may not be true, and without evidence in either direction, I'm ambivalent. I don't think it would make any real difference if the missing person was James or not.

Just some thoughts I made reading your list... I'm not necessarily denying anything but there are many paths you could explore.

No, absolutely I appreciate your insight!

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:45 pm

I think the running themes that intertwine the characters is crucial to gain a deeper understanding of the story itself.

If your plot guide will include the endings this is something to really think about. As I believe that the characters were all called at the same time by design.

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:41 pm

I've been thinking about this lately, never heard it discussed before.

But:

What if the three paintings in the prison can allude to the story of Amy and Ernest Baldwin?

Ernest requests aid from Maria for a ritual, which he intends to use to resurrect his late daughter Amy, who accidentally fell out of a window in November, on the day of his birthday, 10 years prior to Silent Hill 2.

1.) 436 People at a Recital=A Birthday Party being held, and people are in attendance.
2.) Woman in Flight=Amy Baldwin falling out of the upper window to her death ("in flight")
3.) Burning Man=the aftermath regarding Ernest and the ritual.

I dunno. It's just something I've been thinking about lately. It seems to tie the three together. Of course Burning Man being the hotel kinda screws it up but ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:16 pm

He may not have brought her body along. The body he is trying to revive in Rebirth could very well be Maria's for all we know. That's why I love this fucking game.

Interesting prospect, and one way I hadn't thought about it. Though it does raise a few questions.

How does he retrieve Maria's body? If he is able to retrieve it, does he retrieve it from the roof of the Lakeview Hotel (depending on if you get Mary/Maria as the avatar for the final boss), or does he hoist her off of the restraints from the final Pyramid Head battle? How is he able to get the body (which is an egoscopic projection, essentially) all the way through a neurocognitive time-abyss to where he carries out the ritual? Why does he utter the name "Mary" when making his way out into the lake? If we are to ignore this reference, does this mean that the Rebirth and Maria endings aren't necessarily distinct from one another and that Maria can simply be seen as a continuation of Rebirth (if you also ignore the reading of the letter beforehand)?

Of course, I ask all this not in the spirit of undermining you, Ryan (some of it's definitely a wonderful exercise in pedantry). It's definitely given some food for thought.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:13 am

Disrupticon wrote:
He may not have brought her body along. The body he is trying to revive in Rebirth could very well be Maria's for all we know. That's why I love this fucking game.

Interesting prospect, and one way I hadn't thought about it. Though it does raise a few questions.

How does he retrieve Maria's body? If he is able to retrieve it, does he retrieve it from the roof of the Lakeview Hotel (depending on if you get Mary/Maria as the avatar for the final boss), or does he hoist her off of the restraints from the final Pyramid Head battle? How is he able to get the body (which is an egoscopic projection, essentially) all the way through a neurocognitive time-abyss to where he carries out the ritual? Why does he utter the name "Mary" when making his way out into the lake? If we are to ignore this reference, does this mean that the Rebirth and Maria endings aren't necessarily distinct from one another and that Maria can simply be seen as a continuation of Rebirth (if you also ignore the reading of the letter beforehand)?

Of course, I ask all this not in the spirit of undermining you, Ryan (some of it's definitely a wonderful exercise in pedantry). It's definitely given some food for thought.

Simpler than all that. He goes back to his car and finds "Mary" in the trunk and is none the wiser. The 'ritual' is complete nonsense and she 'comes back to life' at just the right moment.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:33 am

Thanks for clarifying.

The idea that 'Rebirth' and 'Maria' lend themselves to each other is probably false (almost certainly so), but it's another compelling way to look at things. It would slightly deviate from what you'd said. The ritual is nonsense and doesn't succeed. He travels back to town a defeated husk of a man, and this is where he runs into Maria, once again.

Almost certainly untrue, again, but gives a newer dimension to his derelict mental state. The idea that they at least don't contradict one another is one worth exploring.

Thanks. You've given me further insomnia fuel.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:50 am

You know, I have always wondered if those newspapers that James finds in the Labyrinth just before the Abstract Daddy boss battle were manifested by the town for Angela just as the Thomas Orosco newspaper is manifested for James in the small room before that area.

James remarks that the newspaper had "today's date" but was unable to read the rest. Most believe that James killed Mary that same day.

That always said to me that James was never ready to know the truth at that point but the town ensures that Angela does. Making Angela's rant at the end of the boss battle a lot more significant.

And when James says that's ridiculous, his body language says entirely something else.

I also believe that the first meeting with Eddie while he was stress vomiting is the first time Eddie believes that he has killed someone. His stress vomiting and his emphatic denial are sure signs that is what occurred before James enters the room.

Eddie says as much in the prison cafeteria after he admits to killing the person in the cafeteria as he says "he was making fun of me with his eyes, just like that other one."

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:41 pm

Disrupticon wrote:Thanks for clarifying.

The idea that 'Rebirth' and 'Maria' lend themselves to each other is probably false (almost certainly so), but it's another compelling way to look at things. It would slightly deviate from what you'd said. The ritual is nonsense and doesn't succeed. He travels back to town a defeated husk of a man, and this is where he runs into Maria, once again.

Almost certainly untrue, again, but gives a newer dimension to his derelict mental state. The idea that they at least don't contradict one another is one worth exploring.

I think it's absolutely possible that it could work out the way you say, though it's not the likeliest scenario. I kind of figure that James?Rebirth is completely out of touch with reality and the ritual will succeed even if it doesn't.

Honestly, I never really considered the endings playing into each other as you described. It could work that way for In Water, too. Having failed to revive Mary, he decides to drive into the lake with her body.

Disrupticon

Post by Disrupticon on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:42 pm

what wrote:
Disrupticon wrote:Thanks for clarifying.

I think it's absolutely possible that it could work out the way you say, though it's not the likeliest scenario. I kind of figure that James?Rebirth is completely out of touch with reality and the ritual will succeed even if it doesn't.

Honestly, I never really considered the endings playing into each other as you described. It could work that way for In Water, too. Having failed to revive Mary, he decides to drive into the lake with her body.

Good point, the fact that the reading of the letter doesn't occur after 'Rebirth' (if memory serves), both are compatible candidates to be lead into.

Although it almost certainly doesn't work on a meta-in game level.

Mirra

Post by Mirra on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:46 am

I like your theories about 'Rebirth' ending, it mostly makes sense, especially connection between 'Rebirth' and 'Maria' endings. I hope Hiroyuki Owaku conceived all these options in his scenario and it isn't just a overthinking. And also about 'Rebirth'...I remember Masahiro Ito pointed out in his twitter that this ending was inspired by Pet Sematary film :shock: Like they enjoyed watching it and made the ending in a reference or something like this. I was really disappointed by this.
Last edited by Mirra on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:53 am.

Mirra

Post by Mirra on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:51 am

Well, I found it
REVEAL SPOILER
"I don't dislike the Rebirth and Leave Ending. Except Maria ending, those are James's natural ways for Mary. Of cause I and Hiroyuki Owaku who are SH2 scenario writer like the movie "Pet Sematary" and that sorrowful ending. I image James was killed by Mary after he revived her, like the ending of Pet Sematary. In this connection, Hiroyuki Owaku and I made a ending which linked the place of "Rebirth Ending" in comic 'Silent Hill_Double under Dusk' "

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:55 pm

I don't see any reason to be disappointed by it. They were hugely influenced by tons of various American films and novels to begin with.

Mirra

Post by Mirra on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:32 pm

Naroon wrote:I don't see any reason to be disappointed by it. They were hugely influenced by tons of various American films and novels to begin with.

True. It is just...not what I expected. I don't know, maybe because I personally don't like this whole idea of living dead, especially relating to Silent Hill universe.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:55 pm

Mirra wrote:
Naroon wrote:I don't see any reason to be disappointed by it. They were hugely influenced by tons of various American films and novels to begin with.

True. It is just...not what I expected. I don't know, maybe because I personally don't like this whole idea of living dead, especially relating to Silent Hill universe.

Well, you can choose to believe that it's a premise they took in different directions.

I mean, you don't know for sure that he succeeded in the ritual, or that he got what he hoped he would get. There's a world of possibilities.

Mirra

Post by Mirra on Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:44 pm

what wrote:
Well, you can choose to believe that it's a premise they took in different directions.

I mean, you don't know for sure that he succeeded in the ritual, or that he got what he hoped he would get. There's a world of possibilities.

Yep. This is also about Ernest Baldwin, who attempted to perform similar ritual in order to revive his daughter. I assume it does work somehow, like everything in this town. You see, people do believe it works and it happens, but there is only the "power" of the town behind it. Maybe these items (white chrism, books, obsidian goblet) are not needed at all. I'd like to believe in that explanation.

Next

Return to Silent Hill 2