PureBlackAura

Silence Breaker

In Game Mini-Maps Discovered

Post by PureBlackAura on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:30 pm

While searching through the code of the "Extra Options" menu using a memory editor I came across a value that was grouped with the toggle switches but had no in-game option to change it's value. When I toggled it and went back in game a mini map appeared in the top right hand corner of the screen .A few friends and I searched online just to make sure I wasn't taking credit for something someone else already found and found absolutely nothing about a mini map existing in Silent hill 2. Here are a few screenshots of the mini map.Image Image Image
So far I have activated the mini maps in the 2001 TGS demo and the original (non Director's Cut) PS2 version If you have any more information about these mini maps let me know.
If you like our finds feel free to Follow us at https://twitter.com/DeepGameRes or subscribe over here https://www.youtube.com/c/Deepgamingresearch

We appreciate the Silent Hill Community and all the help you've given us

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:48 pm

Maps! Maps! Maps! Oh my god Maps! Is this for real?? I've never heard of this. It doesn't even look real (but I'm not doubting this at all).

I kinda lose my mind when it comes to maps in SH games. It'd be awesome if you could research this as much as possible and find all the mini-maps you can. I mean, I'd really appreciate that.

I certainly have never heard of this at all, period. I doubt anyone else knows about this.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:53 pm

It looks like Snakes radar maps from the earlier Metal Gear games.

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:20 pm

PureBlackAura wrote:While searching through the code of the "Extra Options" menu using a memory editor

Oh. wish we could find this value in the resources to get this working on real PS2 too (i mean not only on emulator)...

Venithil

Post by Venithil on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:02 am

While a fun find, it is something I'd never turn on in a Silent Hill game. I like the fact that you seem lost and need to nervously check a map every now and then before you truly memorize the game. Minimaps are cool for simple games, hack and slashes and games with too big exploration area for it to be easy to stuff on your own.

Still, nice find Ob

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:04 am

That's an amazing find!

Looks like James got the gps out of his car and brought it with him just in case! (Did they even have GPS back in 1992?)

PureBlackAura

Silence Breaker

Post by PureBlackAura on Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:07 am

jam6i wrote:Maps! Maps! Maps! Oh my god Maps! Is this for real?? I've never heard of this. It doesn't even look real (but I'm not doubting this at all).

I kinda lose my mind when it comes to maps in SH games. It'd be awesome if you could research this as much as possible and find all the mini-maps you can. I mean, I'd really appreciate that.

I certainly have never heard of this at all, period. I doubt anyone else knows about this.

Sure, I'll start using the mini-map in the hacked playthrough over on youtube.

Otherworld wrote:It looks like Snakes radar maps from the earlier Metal Gear games.

I've never played them. But I'll be sure to look into that.

PaulSilentin wrote:Oh. wish we could find this value in the resources to get this working on real PS2 too (i mean not only on emulator)...

Well, I'm working on converting it into a codebreaker code for use with the actual PS2 hardware

Venithil wrote:While a fun find, it is something I'd never turn on in a Silent Hill game. I like the fact that you seem lost and need to nervously check a map every now and then before you truly memorize the game. Minimaps are cool for simple games, hack and slashes and games with too big exploration area for it to be easy to stuff on your own.

Still, nice find Ob

I agree, and thank you.

Silenthill4life wrote:That's an amazing find!

Looks like James got the gps out of his car and brought it with him just in case! (Did they even have GPS back in 1992?)

Lmao! Actually, yes they had GPS in 1992 but it was reserved for military purposes.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'll be checking back here every day or two so feel free to ask questions or just keep commenting :mrgreen: .
If you like our finds feel free to Follow us at https://twitter.com/DeepGameRes or subscribe over here https://www.youtube.com/c/Deepgamingresearch

Parvatii

The Red God

Post by Parvatii on Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:06 am

Huh, didn't even know that, of course I played the greatest its version which is like the director's cut.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

PaulSilentin

Post by PaulSilentin on Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:31 am

PureBlackAura wrote:Sure, I'll start using the mini-map in the hacked playthrough over on youtube.

Definitely will be interesting to see. Mini-map displays monsters and items on the map too? Does it have SH3 & 4?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:35 am

cool!
ImageImage

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:31 pm

PureBlackAura wrote:
Otherworld wrote:It looks like Snakes radar maps from the earlier Metal Gear games.

I've never played them. But I'll be sure to look into that.

This is what Snakes radar looks like in the earlier games.

WindowsME

Human, probably.

Post by WindowsME on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Interesting, I'm guessing that the mini map was inserted for game testing.

Silenthill4life

Post by Silenthill4life on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:11 pm

WindowsME wrote:Interesting, I'm guessing that the mini map was inserted for game testing.

That's probably true, or maybe it was part of a beta version of SH2?

WindowsME

Human, probably.

Post by WindowsME on Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Silenthill4life wrote:
WindowsME wrote:Interesting, I'm guessing that the mini map was inserted for game testing.

That's probably true, or maybe it was part of a beta version of SH2?

That's possible

PureBlackAura

Silence Breaker

Post by PureBlackAura on Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:50 pm

PaulSilentin wrote:
PureBlackAura wrote:Sure, I'll start using the mini-map in the hacked playthrough over on youtube.

Definitely will be interesting to see. Mini-map displays monsters and items on the map too? Does it have SH3 & 4?

It does show little blue dots in random places every now and then,I'm not sure about 3 & 4 but it is in every version of SH2

Well I'm not sure considering how close it is to the actual accessible options. I think they got rid of the toggle at the last minute because it would ruin the exploration aspect of the game

Otherworld wrote:This is what Snakes radar looks like in the earlier games.

Thanks for that Otherworld

PureBlackAura

Silence Breaker

Post by PureBlackAura on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:54 am

A video of the Mini map in action will be up sometime later today. I'll post again when it's up :pirate:

revil

Post by revil on Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:22 pm

This work for PC version? in particular Director Cut's?

The history of the silent hill video noticed

Lain

Post by Lain on Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:40 am

Late to the party on this one, but this is pretty awesome.

Obviously, as others have mentioned, this isn't a feature that SH should ever actually have as a user-accessible feature. But I love stuff like this... hidden features and content discovered, especially when it's been over a decade since the game originally came out. I wonder if SH3 has the same thing?

revil

Post by revil on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:07 am

I have not found the same thing in 3 parts. I think if this option has been disabled for the player in Part 2, then 3 parts have her can not be, because it is not needed.

Interestingly, this mini MAP exist in PC version. For some reason I did not find. (Director cut's)

PureBlackAura

Silence Breaker

Post by PureBlackAura on Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:29 am

revil wrote:This work for PC version? in particular Director Cut's?

Yes, it works in the PC version and I believe the Directors Cut is the only version the PC got :mrgreen:

Lain wrote:Late to the party on this one, but this is pretty awesome.

Obviously, as others have mentioned, this isn't a feature that SH should ever actually have as a user-accessible feature. But I love stuff like this... hidden features and content discovered, especially when it's been over a decade since the game originally came out. I wonder if SH3 has the same thing?

Thanks, I'm glad you like the discovery, I found it one night while I was just messing around with the blood colors :lol:
I can confirm SH3 doesn't have the map... or at least not hidden in the extra options menu.

Next

Return to Silent Hill 2