what

Moderator

User avatar

From behind the veil

Posts: 2322

Joined: May 21, 2009

Location: United States

Mary's Disease

Post by what on Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:27 pm

Panko1 wrote:
what wrote:You're being excessively pedantic.
http://silenthillchronicle.net/sh2end.htm wrote:Of the four conclusions, there is no one correct interpretation. Each
ending indicates a different possibility.
I need to point out one last thing. The creators have never "said that there is no canon ending to SH2" in any interview or commentary. And that quote from the Chronicle was not written by the creators of the game either. It was simply Konami's official statement. The fact is that the creators never mentioned anything about the game having or not having a canon ending.


It's to be assumed that the official plot guide speaks for the creators, and indeed, it was published with collaboration from Team Silent. To be honest, the "it wasn't written by the creators" assertion comes up only ever when a person's ideas clash with its contents.

It should also be noted that no one involved with the game has ever stated that the game has a single correct ending, which in combination with evidence to the contrary, can be safely dismissed.

But...
silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_2#Endings wrote:Endings
Silent Hill 2 does not have an explicitly known canonical ending, although hints lean towards "In Water" being canon:
  • In Silent Hill 3 which also has plenty of Silent Hill 2 references, Douglas Cartland mentions he was involved in a case in which a man went missing in Silent Hill and was never found, and it is possible that Douglas was referring to James.
  • Silent Hill 4: The Room revealed that James and Mary "disappeared in Silent Hill".
  • The Book of Lost Memories says "Of the four conclusions, there is no correct interpretation. Each ending indicates a different possibility."
  • The novelization uses the In Water ending.
  • Masahiro Ito and Guy Cihi both choose In Water as their personal canon ending.
  • Masahiro Ito made Pyramid Head with In Water in mind.
This does not prove that "In Water" is canon, but at least support my theory that I could be right.


None of that is evidence strengthening the assertion that "In Water" is an ending with greater veracity or more truth than the others. Half of that list is selective interpretation (James would almost certainly never return home no matter what ending takes place), the other half personal opinion that none of the individuals listed means anything other than personal opinion.

And when someone says.
Otherworld wrote:^ That theory assumes that In Water is canon when we know it is not.
It just shows how you are the ones "being excessively pedantic". When in fact the "In Water" being canon is a real possibility and my theory supports that.


In Water is a canon ending. But, the other three endings are also canon.

Here is the ending of the novelization for you all "In Water" haters to enjoy.
Silent Hill 2 : The Official Novel c6 wrote:Image
“I love you, Mary.”

As the car began to slowly sink to the bottom of the lake, James pulled his wife close and gently held her. Their wish had finally come true. They would be together. And now they had an eternity to enjoy their happiness.


That's fanfiction, though. It means nothing more than the fact that I chose "Leave" when I novelized the game. Which, honestly, I would have rather done all four.

And, it's not that we hate the In Water ending. It's that it's annoying how some people latch onto it and insist that it's THE ending and argue with anybody who favors another ending, or all of them. In Water is your preferred ending, isn't that enough for you?
 
 
 
 
 
 

Panko1

Member

User avatar

I'm watching you. Who's watching me?

Posts: 147

Joined: Feb 05, 2013

Mary's Disease

Post by Panko1 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:26 am

Naroon wrote:The SH Wiki is written by peers, not anybody who worked on the games, and all that info is pure speculation.
It's funny because someone who was checking on my post, just didn't like my quote from wikia and went there to edit and removed the "although hints lean towards "In Water" being canon" part. Here is another part that have been edited.
silenthill.wikia.com/wiki/Silent_Hill_2#Endings wrote:Silent Hill 4: The Room revealed that James and Mary "disappeared in Silent Hill", which indicates either that James never left town, or that he did leave and never returned home.
Here is the same wikia quote posted on other site 1 month ago for you to compare. I'm not sure who edited that, maybe it was someone here. Who ever was, simply did not like my post. I know that any site even wikia can become target of speculation, because anyone can go there and edit things fast like that. But the reason I added that quote from wikia, was because of the reliable references linked to Ito's twitter, he is the only creator of the game who was nice enough to answer people's question on twitter about the game. And he gave many answers that were not given by the guide book.
www.translatedmemories.com/bookpgs/Pg50-51SH2Ending.jpg wrote:"Of the four conclusions, there is no one correct interpretation. Each ending indicates a different possibility."
You all believe in that quote of the guide book so much but still don't know who has written.
what wrote:It's to be assumed that the official plot guide speaks for the creators, and indeed, it was published with collaboration from Team Silent. To be honest, the "it wasn't written by the creators" assertion comes up only ever when a person's ideas clash with its contents.
And how about when that person's ideas clashing with the contents of the book is the game creator himself?
Masahiro Ito @ Twitter wrote:Masahiro Ito: My answer is "in water". it's the most natural ending. @Distant_Adam @adsk4 What do you think about endings SilentHill 2? Which one is true?
Masahiro Ito: All events which James experiences in SH town are just before <In Water>. And he hasn't noticed he killed her, too.
Alejandro: for you which is the true end of Silent Hill 2?
Masahiro Ito: It's "In Water",for me.
Ito mentions that Pyramid Head was designed with the "In Water" ending in mind.
Image
Masahiro Ito: My 1st ending was "Leave", but I knew the how to reach that. But I made the Pyramid head for James in "In water ending".

I guess no one will try to edit these messages on his twitter page too.

Published with collaboration from Team Silent does not mean it was entirely written by Team Silent. It also means that this plot guide was written by anonymous company employes unrelated to the game's development team adding their own interpretations to the game in the book. The only part written by Team Silent was a few commentaries in the book. No one can tell who has written the rest of the book, because Konami never mentioned who was the author.
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5324

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Mary's Disease

Post by Naroon on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:32 am

But the reason I added that quote from wikia, was because of the reliable references linked to Ito's twitter, he is the only creator of the game who was nice enough to answer people's question on twitter about the game. And he gave many answers that were not given by the guide book.


I dunno who edited it, as I'm not a contributor to the wikia in spite of having an account there. Could've been anyone since there are a good number of lurkers on any forum.

As for your point about including the quote, that's all well and good but even Ito didn't say anything to imply that In Water is THE canon ending of the game.

You all believe in that quote of the guide book so much but still don't know who has written.


It doesn't matter who wrote it because it's still true either way. I'm sure if the devs saw anything they didn't like in the book, it would've been taken out.

You keep mentioning Ito's tweets in spite of the fact that Ito made it clear that he thinks In Water is the most natural ending specifically for him. I have no idea why you're so hung up on the idea of proving that it's the absolute ending.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

what

Moderator

User avatar

From behind the veil

Posts: 2322

Joined: May 21, 2009

Location: United States

Mary's Disease

Post by what on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:55 am

Since it was brought to my attention that there was misinformation on the page, I made an edit which presents the facts objectively. Speculation and bias don't belong on the wiki. People should draw their own conclusions based on the evidence.
 
 
 
 
 
 

clips7

Member

User avatar

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Posts: 2280

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United States

Mary's Disease

Post by clips7 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:26 pm

I think alot of us would point to "In Water" being the true ending, but there are a variety of endings depending on journey and actions James takes. James delusional state, the letter, and other actions all point to "In Water", but the player can just as easily take a path that can result ina completely different ending.

This debate has gone on for years, so again I think if there was to be a true ending, the "In Water" would be the most depressing but also the most logical ending based on Jame's journey....but i like that the game is open-ended like that and nothing is absolute. It doesn't restrict the game for future storylines like what was seen in SH4 when the game made a small reference to SH2 there.

It was done in a way to make gamer's think, well did Jame's die in SH?..did he drown, or did he just basically leave never to be seen again?...haha..nobody knows and that is how this franchise needs to stay. Now i'm not saying the game needs to be mysterious for the sake of being mysterious, but knowing every nook and cranny about a storyline or character in general takes away a bit of the charm of the series...i'm good if i never truly find out what happened to James.

As far as wiki goes?...too unreliable since that place can be edited on the fly....
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6293

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Mary's Disease

Post by Otherworld on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Panko1 wrote:Published with collaboration from Team Silent does not mean it was entirely written by Team Silent. It also means that this plot guide was written by anonymous company employes unrelated to the game's development team adding their own interpretations to the game in the book. The only part written by Team Silent was a few commentaries in the book. No one can tell who has written the rest of the book, because Konami never mentioned who was the author.


That means that entire foundation of this book is based upon the creators thoughts and ideas themselves. That means that everything in it had to pass their sniff test doesn't it?

After all of that do you really believe that something as important as mentioning the one ending that is the true ending would be left out?

No it wouldn't. That is why it's not there.

Bottom line is believe whatever you want to believe. It's your choice. Just like I have my own thoughts and beliefs on the subject matter.

But when your beliefs end up clashing with already established facts, it is very difficult to substantiate them.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

what

Moderator

User avatar

From behind the veil

Posts: 2322

Joined: May 21, 2009

Location: United States

Mary's Disease

Post by what on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:21 pm

I just don't get why anyone would want confirmation that there is a true ending. It's better not having one. There's more to talk about, more to think about. None of the games continue from any of the endings.

It's got to be stressed that all four endings are necessary to understanding this game. If you focus on one and dismiss the other three, you're ignoring the painting because you only care about the frame.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6293

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Mary's Disease

Post by Otherworld on Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:23 am

what wrote:I just don't get why anyone would want confirmation that there is a true ending. It's better not having one. There's more to talk about, more to think about. None of the games continue from any of the endings.

It's got to be stressed that all four endings are necessary to understanding this game. If you focus on one and dismiss the other three, you're ignoring the painting because you only care about the frame.


Agreed ..... 100%
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Tenebra

Member

User avatar

... I meant everything.

Posts: 246

Joined: Mar 15, 2015

Mary's Disease

Post by Tenebra on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:05 am

Yes, I also think the same, one of the best things about this game is precisely the different endings where none is actually the "real or true". Silent Hill never gave us everything processed and digested but on the contrary it allowed us to draw our own conclusions and that is why we still like to talk about it.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

firecrest

Member

Posts: 214

Joined: Sep 27, 2007

Mary's Disease

Post by firecrest on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Preferences aside, if someone were to ask, I think I would prefer there be a true ending. Despite all his shortcomings, I'd like to think James made some sort of concrete decision for himself. I don't agree with the notion that having a true ending somehow invalidates and diminishes the value of the other three possible endings. The purpose of multiple endings in SH2, outside of replayability, was to show different sides to James' character and give depth to his story. I think they serve that purpose whether we say they actually happened or not.

I recognize a certain appeal to In Water being the true ending because it relates directly with the true reason that James came to Silent Hill. The creators could have easily said that James came to Silent Hill because of his guilt for killing his wife. It's a generic enough statement that wouldn't have taken anything away from having four possible outcomes. Instead, they decided to be direct about revealing the true reason and In Water is the only ending where he meets that goal. The other three endings arguably do not benefit much from such a reveal.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6293

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Mary's Disease

Post by Otherworld on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:53 am

firecrest wrote:Preferences aside, if someone were to ask, I think I would prefer there be a true ending. Despite all his shortcomings, I'd like to think James made some sort of concrete decision for himself. I don't agree with the notion that having a true ending somehow invalidates and diminishes the value of the other three possible endings. The purpose of multiple endings in SH2, outside of replayability, was to show different sides to James' character and give depth to his story. I think they serve that purpose whether we say they actually happened or not.

I recognize a certain appeal to In Water being the true ending because it relates directly with the true reason that James came to Silent Hill. The creators could have easily said that James came to Silent Hill because of his guilt for killing his wife. It's a generic enough statement that wouldn't have taken anything away from having four possible outcomes. Instead, they decided to be direct about revealing the true reason and In Water is the only ending where he meets that goal. The other three endings arguably do not benefit much from such a reveal.


Nevertheless, if there were 1 true ending, the others, in one way or another, would become almost meaningless. Especially in a story such as this. The purpose of the other endings is to show the different sides to James. The fact that they are just as possible as In Water gives a massive amount of depth to his character, the other characters, and the story as a whole. Proclaiming that 1 ending is the true ending stripes away the depth created by the weight of the moral choices that attribute to James ending up down one of those specifics paths and/or endings.

The mere mention of the reason for James heading to Silent Hill does mean he has made up his mind about it yet. There are tons of people that have those thoughts and never actually go through with the act itself.

Just because people think of committing suicide does not mean that they would actually go through with it.

I also would like to link a very good thread by what here.

Why Silent Hill 2 Happens: The Self-Preservation Principle

James character is truly defined because of the different possible endings. The fact that his nature or essential qualities (or lack there of) become a mosaic of the thoughts, feelings and emotions that one would possibly feel when putting the scenario against real life situations gives true weight to the story, and that's why they are all essential.

Image

The story would lack depth without them being real possibilities.....
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5324

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Mary's Disease

Post by Naroon on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:43 am

Plus if there were one true ending, it would also invalidate the meta-game mechanic of the players' playstyles directly influencing the ending. Seeing as you can get one of up to three of the total six endings on a first playthrough, I don't think the creators intended for there to be one ending that the game more heavily leans towards. With one true ending, every other revelation and insight into other sides of James become essentially invalidated and redacted because in 'canon', they never actually happened. SH2 in general leaves many questions unanswered deliberately, not just for James but for the world that is presented as well. Other characters with no direct or tangential connection to James are given small bits of character development and yet are still left with a nebulous-at-best understanding of their plights and natures and backstories. This undercurrent of vagueness and uncertainty would be undermined by insisting on one true final conclusion.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

firecrest

Member

Posts: 214

Joined: Sep 27, 2007

Mary's Disease

Post by firecrest on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Otherworld wrote:The mere mention of the reason for James heading to Silent Hill does mean he has made up his mind about it yet. There are tons of people that have those thoughts and never actually go through with the act itself.

Just because people think of committing suicide does not mean that they would actually go through with it.

Let's get one thing out of the way. Silent Hill 2 is a work of fiction, which means that someone wrote the story. He introduces plot elements in order to progress and strengthen the plot. Unless the intention was to introduce a red herring, details relating to the plot are put there for a reason by the writer. Although you could draw parallels to real-life from the story, the reverse doesn't always work because the writer intended his work to follow a certain direction.

When it's revealed that James came to take his own life, we need to ask what the writer's intention was. Do you think the writer intended the players to draw parallels to people with suicidal thoughts that don't go through it?

Part of the problem I want to bring up is that I see too much effort into putting a particular ending in a negative light. It kind of defeats the purpose of "all endings are possible outcomes" if you're busy hacking away at a particular ending because someone has a preference for it.

I think convincing people that all endings are possible outcomes should work differently by discussing why all endings have equal strengths and could all be considered true endings. Ultimately, that means familiarizing yourself with plot elements that strengthen the other endings. James' true reason for coming to Silent Hill happens to strengthen the In Water ending; I'm sure there are other plot elements that do the same for the other endings.

Naroon wrote:Plus if there were one true ending, it would also invalidate the meta-game mechanic of the players' playstyles directly influencing the ending.

If we take the original Silent Hill game as an example and I got the Bad ending, I would not say that my playstyle was invalidated because the Good ending is the true ending. To me, an invalid playstyle is something that the game designer didn't intend for the players to do like if the player made use of a certain glitch.

Seeing as you can get one of up to three of the total six endings on a first playthrough, I don't think the creators intended for there to be one ending that the game more heavily leans towards. With one true ending, every other revelation and insight into other sides of James become essentially invalidated and redacted because in 'canon', they never actually happened.

Well, that's the thing. I don't think a side of James is invalidated because it never happened. I think of it as: under the right circumstances, it would have happened. A person has to make choices all the time under various circumstances. I don't think his character changes or parts of his character are invalidated because of what he did or didn't do. He's the same character - That is, if we agree that the James we play is the same character regardless of which ending was acquired. I think there are games like that where depending on how you play, your characters' background changes significantly. In that scenario, sides of a character could be invalidated, I suppose.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6293

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Mary's Disease

Post by Otherworld on Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:00 am

firecrest wrote:
Otherworld wrote:The mere mention of the reason for James heading to Silent Hill does mean he has made up his mind about it yet. There are tons of people that have those thoughts and never actually go through with the act itself.

Just because people think of committing suicide does not mean that they would actually go through with it.


Let's get one thing out of the way. Silent Hill 2 is a work of fiction, which means that someone wrote the story. He introduces plot elements in order to progress and strengthen the plot. Unless the intention was to introduce a red herring, details relating to the plot are put there for a reason by the writer. Although you could draw parallels to real-life from the story, the reverse doesn't always work because the writer intended his work to follow a certain direction.

When it's revealed that James came to take his own life, we need to ask what the writer's intention was. Do you think the writer intended the players to draw parallels to people with suicidal thoughts that don't go through it?

Part of the problem I want to bring up is that I see too much effort into putting a particular ending in a negative light. It kind of defeats the purpose of "all endings are possible outcomes" if you're busy hacking away at a particular ending because someone has a preference for it.

I think convincing people that all endings are possible outcomes should work differently by discussing why all endings have equal strengths and could all be considered true endings. Ultimately, that means familiarizing yourself with plot elements that strengthen the other endings. James' true reason for coming to Silent Hill happens to strengthen the In Water ending; I'm sure there are other plot elements that do the same for the other endings.


Agreed, the writers did have a certain direction for their work.

BoLM quote:

The complex story of the second game attracts attention with its shocking conclusion and various possible interpretations. If one plays with a deeper understanding of the elaborately integrated scenarios and the backgrounds of the characters that appear in the game, one should be able to gain a deeper appreciation for the story.


^ This description points directly at the fact that there are "elaborately integrated scenarios" so it is quite obvious that there was more than just that one scenario when writing the story. In Water is just one of them. I think the writers intended the players to draw parallels to all of the possible endings. James heading to town to take his own life was just a way of setting up the real possibility that that's what he ends up doing in that particular ending.

That fact remains, that adding that detail (James reason for heading to town) does not invalidate the Leave, Maria or Rebirth endings.

Btw, I do not see In Water in any negative fashion. I actually like the fact that it is a real possibility. I always have. I am not the one pushing to try an invalidate anything here by over looking things. Yes In Water is a real possibility. But that doesn't mean that it is the only possibility or the true ending.

And if you want an argument pointing at the other endings equal strengths just have a look below....

Image

Maria and Laura are part of the story to obviously strengthen both the Leave and Maria endings by becoming intimately involved in James journey by design. That's a pretty strong argument wouldn't you say ?

You asked:

firecrest wrote:When it's revealed that James came to take his own life, we need to ask what the writer's intention was. Do you think the writer intended the players to draw parallels to people with suicidal thoughts that don't go through it?


Now I ask, do you think the writers intended the players to draw parallels to the Leave and Maria endings when both Maria and Laura are so intimately involved in the story and those two endings mentioned above are tied to both of these crucial characters ?

The answers to both of those questions are blatantly obvious wouldn't you say ?
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5324

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Mary's Disease

Post by Naroon on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:07 pm

If we take the original Silent Hill game as an example and I got the Bad ending, I would not say that my playstyle was invalidated because the Good ending is the true ending. To me, an invalid playstyle is something that the game designer didn't intend for the players to do like if the player made use of a certain glitch.


SH1 doesn't operate on the "psychic profiling" meta-game mechanic that SH2 uses, though. SH1's methods for obtaining different endings are very traditionally 'video-gamey', especially since one of the endings requires the suspension of disbelief that Harry would somehow have the knowledge to not only randomly take a bottle, but to fill it with a mysterious red liquid and THEN save it to throw it in the face of his policewoman acquaintance when she gets possessed and tries to gank him later on.

When I said invalid playstyle, I was referring to that mechanic. If a dev came out and outright stated after all these years that one of the endings was "the ultimate true finale", then it would undermine not only that system but also every other ending as well, and undoubtedly weaken the standing of the personal gamer's experiences and feelings of whatever they themselves believe to be true.

For me I don't even hate or dislike any of the endings in SH2; In fact it's one of the very few games where I actually like ALL of the endings (yes, especially the "joke" ones). My earlier posts in here weren't an attempt to "prove" that In Water is a bad ending or it's definitely not a plausible ending, far from it. It was just to say that it's not the canon ending, or said alternatively, all endings are canon.

Well, that's the thing. I don't think a side of James is invalidated because it never happened. I think of it as: under the right circumstances, it would have happened. A person has to make choices all the time under various circumstances. I don't think his character changes or parts of his character are invalidated because of what he did or didn't do. He's the same character - That is, if we agree that the James we play is the same character regardless of which ending was acquired. I think there are games like that where depending on how you play, your characters' background changes significantly. In that scenario, sides of a character could be invalidated, I suppose.


For me James would still be James, but under that scenario it would indeed imply that those other untapped elements just suddenly aren't a real part of him. The game seems to go out of its way to imply that James is indeed not a one-dimensional character regardless of what ending you get. He's not a knight in shining armor who could do no wrong, and I think the creators were definitely cognizant of that. Because even when/if he reunites with Mary for that one bit of the game, he still doesn't get to stay with her, and he still had to go through hell to get to that point. So I think it's what you said later, a certain part/side of James would be invalidated.

I think I posted about the connection between the hypothetical James who decides to go off the deep end and try to enact the ritual in the end, and Ernest who himself is a ghost and was trying to do the ritual to see his daughter again. The fact that Ernest somehow had knowledge of James and his crimes but also the nature of Maria's existence always fascinated me, and the game just leaves it all up in the air.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

what

Moderator

User avatar

From behind the veil

Posts: 2322

Joined: May 21, 2009

Location: United States

Mary's Disease

Post by what on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:11 pm

I think convincing people that all endings are possible outcomes should work differently by discussing why all endings have equal strengths and could all be considered true endings. Ultimately, that means familiarizing yourself with plot elements that strengthen the other endings. James' true reason for coming to Silent Hill happens to strengthen the In Water ending; I'm sure there are other plot elements that do the same for the other endings.


Otherworld linked to a theory I wrote on that very subject, with James' suicidal state of mind being the nucleus not just of the one ending in which he actually goes through with it. Because, it's more than just wanting to die that is important there. That desperate state of mind that makes someone want to do something so drastic and irreparable, might also inspire them to try weird rituals, or accept an inexplicable replacement person, or perhaps even find it in themselves to at least try going on a bit longer. I feel that the game as we know it could not exist if James was not such a desperate and hopeless person, and that beginning state may lead to any kind of outcome the game provides.

You can look at the fact that he came to town suicidal and conclude that is what he'll end up doing, but the writers are brilliant because they found that sweetest of narrative spots: how to give the player just enough information to draw their own conclusions. When I examine this story, I see writers deliberately not steering me in any direction at all. It makes it so that my perceptions, my biases and my style of play are going to entirely determine what outcome I get as a player, and that James' perception of his wife, his methods of coping with her illness and what sort of person he is underneath it all, will determine the outcome he gets as a character.

That's why I also made this thread, in which I present interpretations of all four endings that are entirely different from how most people think of them.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Lifeless

User avatar

Posts: 4

Joined: Jul 28, 2011

Mary's Disease

Post by Lifeless on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:45 am

"Parkinson's disease has kidnapped my wife. It is in the process of killing her. I hug and kiss what is left of her, hang photographs of the old, strong Milly throughout the house, and talk to her. We hold hands. We make love. But she is not who she was. She cannot walk, and now she can barely speak. She is being carried into an abyss, and I am helpless to rescue her."

It's been so long since I read that passage that I honestly don't remember if I've ever brought it up in the context of a conversation about Silent Hill before, so forgive me if this has been covered.

Image

The passage comes from a book called Saving Milly written by Morton Kondracke, which chronicles the emotional turmoil he experienced while caring for his dying wife. In a vacuum, sure, it describes a state of affairs similar to what James might have gone through with Mary. But that can be said of lots of people caring for others with any number of terminal diseases. So, why bring this up here?

The connection is indirect, as it actually shows up in a different game, but check out something I spotted while playing SH3 on a PC years ago:

Image

Image

Image

A copy of Saving Milly sitting on the shelf in the bookstore. Given the thematically appropriate selection of the various other materials represented in the book store (Queen Bees & Wannabes, The Revolt of Tirn Aill, various college prep guides), I'm lead to believe that Saving Milly shows up for non-arbitrary reasons, even if it's not directly applicable to the content of SH3. SH3 came out a couple years after SH2, but it was made by a group of largely the same people, and someone deliberately added it to the bookstore shelf.

This is not to say that Mary suffered from Parkinson's disease. Its inclusion in SH3, however, could suggest that Parkinson's disease was an inspiration behind the story of James, Mary, and her disease.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5324

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

Mary's Disease

Post by Naroon on Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:58 am

Great find, dude, never knew about that before. It's defo plausible that the book was a loose inspiration for the unknown disease.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6293

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

Mary's Disease

Post by Otherworld on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:37 am

That excerpt from the book:

"Parkinson's disease has kidnapped my wife. It is in the process of killing her. I hug and kiss what is left of her, hang photographs of the old, strong Milly throughout the house, and talk to her. We hold hands. We make love. But she is not who she was. She cannot walk, and now she can barely speak. She is being carried into an abyss, and I am helpless to rescue her."


Holds what could be perceived as the same type of insight James had for his situation and for Mary at one point or another for those 3 years.

When I posted,

The fact that his nature or essential qualities (or lack there of) become a mosaic of the thoughts, feelings and emotions that one would possibly feel when putting the scenario against real life situations gives true weight to the story, and that's why they are all essential.


This is exactly what I meant.

Great find !
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Another

User avatar

really big loser

Posts: 43

Joined: Jul 14, 2012

Mary's Disease

Post by Another on Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:45 pm

Princess Kenny wrote:I personally don't think it matters what the disease is.

All that matters is How it affected James and Mary's relationship. To me anyway.

I totally agree with this. Knowing what the illness is isn't really important to the story. (Although it would be cool to know)
 
 
 
 
Previous


Return to Silent Hill 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron