vote4wsullivan

Mary's Disease

Post by vote4wsullivan on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:42 am

I understand where you're coming from. But It's like I said. I didn't particularly agree with that theory. I just thought it was an interesting take on the subject.

what

From behind the veil

Mary's Disease

Post by what on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:13 am

I dunno. I think Mary is a tragic enough figure as it is, dying young and in the way she did. Throwing a poisoned rape in the backstory is overkill.

vote4wsullivan

Mary's Disease

Post by vote4wsullivan on Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:04 pm

Yeah. Is bad enough that the Mary character had to go through all that hell. But to have turned her into a rape victim as well. Would have just been extra cruel of them.

I agree with what everyone here is saying. The ''Disease'' in it of itself is not all that important. The real point of focus should be on how said ''Disease'' affected the relationship between James and Mary. I was just curious about what everyone else around here thought regarding said topic.

Neurotic

Glitch Magnet

Mary's Disease

Post by Neurotic on Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:46 am

It's not a disease, they're burns. Mary was at Lakeview Hotel when it burnt down, hence her coughing at the end of the video tape.

Rodox_Head

Just here for the chit-chat

Mary's Disease

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:25 am

She went on /b/ and got cancer.
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

Neurotic

Glitch Magnet

Mary's Disease

Post by Neurotic on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:17 am

Buuuurrnnnsssss!

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Mary's Disease

Post by Naroon on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:05 am

That necro

why

Neurotic

Glitch Magnet

Mary's Disease

Post by Neurotic on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:50 am

Naroon wrote:That necro

why

Because she died in a fire.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Mary's Disease

Post by Otherworld on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:40 am

Neurotic wrote:

why

If she did, James would never been called to Silent Hill.

Neurotic

Glitch Magnet

Mary's Disease

Post by Neurotic on Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:01 am

Otherworld wrote:
Neurotic wrote:

why

If she did, James would never been called to Silent Hill.

Actually, his presence in Silent Hill is equally anomalous;

Henry: "I got this photo from Sunderland, the superintendent. I heard his son and daughter-in-law disappeared in Silent Hill a few years back..."

Ergo, the last time anyone heard from them was when they vacationed there, and it would've had to be before "Silent Hill 2" begins because;

http://www.translatedmemories.com/bookp ... reaMap.jpg

"Before the second game took place, the hotel was completely destroyed by a fire."

They're both dead.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Mary's Disease

Post by Otherworld on Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:06 pm

So you believe that both James and Mary died in the hotel fire years before the events in Silent Hill 2 ever happened?

devil hunter

Ghost

Mary's Disease

Post by devil hunter on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:42 pm

I'd like to point out that there's a part where James watches a video tape of him introducing Mary's face to the pillow, which ends up with her spirit leaving the body while thinking how disturbed her husband is (depending on the ending of course).

So, she couldn't have died in the fire.

Rodox_Head

Mary's Disease

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:56 pm

devil hunter wrote:I'd like to point out that there's a part where James watches a video tape of him introducing Mary's face to the pillow, which ends up with her spirit leaving the body while thinking how disturbed her husband is (depending on the ending of course).

The pillow is a metaphor for fire.
"Well I like to know what I'm doing when I do it, and I do what I'm doing 'cause I don't know what to do when I'm not doing it"

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Mary's Disease

Post by Naroon on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:05 pm

Why do you guys think The Red Pyramid Thing was, well, RED? Because Red = Flame. It all makes sense now. Crimson Pyramid Thingamabob represents James' immense regret and embarrassment that he died in the fire. James could've easily saved himself and Mary, but opted to take several doses of Mescaline the night prior (and as we all know, mescaline's effects last a very long time compared to other psychotropic drugs), so couldn't come to his senses fast enough to be of any help. This is what Ernest referred to when he called James "a very bad man."

But seriously though, this theory is pretty weak lol. Yes the hotel burned down before SH2 took place, but James and Mary weren't inside of it when it happened. You're not playing as James' ghost in this game. The SH4 quote is referring to the fact that nobody saw Mary or James since they went Silent Hill -- i.e. the events of SH2, which was done to keep the "canonical" ending purposefully ambiguous in that there really isn't one. There really isn't any evidence supporting James already being dead when he gets to town. The only thing that even comes close to this is the fact that James went to the town with suicidal intentions before his delusion set in.

Rodox_Head

Mary's Disease

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Thus James was never the killer at all. It could only be something we couldn't have ever suspected...

REVEAL SPOILER

what

From behind the veil

Mary's Disease

Post by what on Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:06 pm

Julian Candy wrote:
devil hunter wrote:I'd like to point out that there's a part where James watches a video tape of him introducing Mary's face to the pillow, which ends up with her spirit leaving the body while thinking how disturbed her husband is (depending on the ending of course).

James killed Angela with a pillow it's canon

Rodox_Head

Mary's Disease

Post by Rodox_Head on Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 pm

what wrote:
Julian Candy wrote:

James killed Angela with a pillow it's canon

Actually Angela killed herself with a pillow while James watched, leaving him feeling quite aroused before remarking on the rise in temperature he was experiencing. Angela, who has lived in a constant state of nymphomania, is surprised to hear someone else sharing this feeling. She dies in peace with the knowledge that she could express what it was always like for her.

Neurotic

Glitch Magnet

Mary's Disease

Post by Neurotic on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:06 pm

Otherworld wrote:So you believe that both James and Mary died in the hotel fire years before the events in Silent Hill 2 ever happened?

That's my personal interpretation that makes the most sense to me when taking all the details into consideration. I could be entirely wrong, but without an official confirmation about what exactly DID happen, that's where the evidence leads me.

what

From behind the veil

Mary's Disease

Post by what on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:42 pm

I have to admit that it's an intriguing and original idea. I don't agree with it because it doesn't account for a lot of what's in the game. The whole plot concept of having killed her, and her having the disease and all, it really doesn't seem to fit all that well. Where do the over-arching concepts of guilt and grief come into play when the real catalyst appears to be a tragic accident?

Go on, tell me more. I want to be convinced.

devil hunter

Ghost

Mary's Disease

Post by devil hunter on Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:49 pm

So, is the battle with Eddie a battle of the elements? Fire vs ice.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill 2