vote4wsullivan

Mary's Disease

Post by vote4wsullivan on Wed May 02, 2012 3:20 pm

Now my question regarding Mary's illness. From what I can remember they never ''specifically'' mentioned what kind of terminal illness she had in the game. They simply called it a ''Disease''. I never went to medical school so I am not going to claim to be an expert on the subject but if I were to take a guess as to what was ailing her. I’d say it was some form of cancer judging by her physical appearance during her final days.

Now going by my theory. If she did in fact had cancer then I find it a bit odd that she was struck with it at such a young age. I know that like everything else in life there are always going to be exceptions to the rule. But to my knowledge cancer ''usually'' hits people when they are a lot older than twenty something.

Thoughts anyone?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Mary's Disease

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed May 02, 2012 3:39 pm

I don't think we're supposed to know what the disease is, and I don't think it's a disease that actually exists.

There is no reason to believe that it could not be cancer due to her age, though, I'd say. There's always that chance. Also, what kind of cancer makes you look like that, unless it's what the Elephant Man had (which I seriously doubt)?
ImageImage

what

From behind the veil

Mary's Disease

Post by what on Wed May 02, 2012 3:42 pm

In the discussions I've had, and observed, nobody could find a disease which matches all the characteristics. It is something fictional.

I say it is buffalo herpes.

vote4wsullivan

Mary's Disease

Post by vote4wsullivan on Wed May 02, 2012 4:02 pm

But couldn't she have gotten that way due to chemotherapy? Plus all of the medication that she was taking would explain her mood swings and side effects.

keeps

dont like fandoms

Mary's Disease

Post by keeps on Wed May 02, 2012 5:37 pm

it's damned disease

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Mary's Disease

Post by Naroon on Wed May 02, 2012 6:53 pm

keeps wrote:it's damned disease

This. James himself said it in the game.

Also, 'what', LOL @ your name.

Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Mary's Disease

Post by Princess Kenny on Thu May 03, 2012 1:53 pm

I personally don't think it matters what the disease is.

All that matters is How it affected James and Mary's relationship. To me anyway.
The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

incubi37

Mary's Disease

Post by incubi37 on Thu May 03, 2012 3:57 pm

I'm married to someone who was diagnosed with cancer at age 25. We don't live around a nuclear reactor or anything like that... it just happened. So cancer IS plausible from that end, but it's something that starts with a cough (if you played it, you know what I mean) so it probably isn't cancer based on that. I was thinking something exotic, or even something that she might have caught from the town itself. Apparently there's some weird vegetation there anyway(to make White Claudia) so maybe she caught fungal spores during the trip and they just didn't have any way to treat it?

Devoured

Mary's Disease

Post by Devoured on Thu May 03, 2012 8:51 pm

This has been discussed a lot over the years and yeah most people agree it's fictional or rather obscure, hence them having no treatment for it. Most forms of cancer know some type of proper treatment [if chemo therapy can be called a proper treatment] these days, it's more a matter of timely diagnosis and hoping the treatment works, and growths don't re-appear and such...

I never thought her depression was much of a side effect specific to the disease, but being terminally ill in general. So we really only have the look of her skin and initial coughing to go on, don't we?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Mary's Disease

Post by nur_ein_tier on Mon May 14, 2012 12:55 am

vote4wsullivan wrote:But couldn't she have gotten that way due to chemotherapy? Plus all of the medication that she was taking would explain her mood swings and side effects.

Well, maybe the mood swings, but that could also be caused by being sick and dying.

As for chemo, I have been on chemo drugs (not for cancer) and never looked like that from them! Radiation, on the other hand, can cause burns and blistering. I find it more plausible, though, that the visual aspect is a sign of the disease, not the treatment.

And as onefreeman said, the disease itself doesn't matter.

Damned buffalo herpes.
ImageImage

Devoured

Mary's Disease

Post by Devoured on Mon May 14, 2012 1:21 pm

nur_ein_tier wrote:Damned buffalo herpes.

Haha

What kind of other disease asks for chemo treatment BTW, if you don't mind my asking so? I've always assumed, as I'm sure many other people do, it was sort of 'exclusive' to cancer, being so aggressive and not much of an actual 'cure' IMO, so I'm rather curious. Just the idea of chemo therapy seems like hell to me ugh...

Back on topic, I really don't think it makes sense to assume it was a result of treatment rather than the disease itself, there's nothing to indicate this whatsoever.

Charles Phipps

Mary's Disease

Post by Charles Phipps on Mon May 14, 2012 4:49 pm

In my personal fanon, I think it's leukemia.

But yeah, it's a fictional disease.

Devoured

Mary's Disease

Post by Devoured on Tue May 15, 2012 10:37 pm

One little thing I just thought of, Mary does say : "Between the disease and the drugs I look like a monster". I don't think we should read too much into that, though. It really isn't of any importance to the story.

devil hunter

Ghost

Mary's Disease

Post by devil hunter on Wed May 16, 2012 12:04 am

Doesn't she refer to the meds by that?

Devoured

Mary's Disease

Post by Devoured on Wed May 16, 2012 12:08 am

Yeah that was my point, since I said earlier that there's nothing to indicate it was the treatment that caused her skin to look the way it did.

devil hunter

Ghost

Mary's Disease

Post by devil hunter on Wed May 16, 2012 12:10 am

Oh I see, didn't really understood what you were trying to say with that.

vote4wsullivan

Mary's Disease

Post by vote4wsullivan on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:04 am

Back again everyone. First of all, If may take the liberty to express my honest and heartfelt sympathy. I would like to say incubi37. I am sorry to hear that you're wife was diagnosed with cancer. I hope you and you're family were able to overcome that great challenge. And nur_ein_tier. I also hope that everything has gone well for you too.

@devoured. You took the words right out of my mouth. ''Between the drugs and the disease. I look like a monster'' That's exactly what I was going to say.
However I do differ from you a little bit in the sense that you've mentioned that we shouldn't read too much into that one comment. I believe that conversation holds deep merit to the story. Now bear with me for a moment.

''Warning: The following posts contain minor spoilers, a bit of controversy and is a little long''.

I think that we can all agree here that Mary's mind was perfectly lucid even during her ''final days''. By that I mean that the ''Disease'' in question was mainly affecting her physically and not mentally. By that I mean that there are other illness out there that mainly debilitate the mind more so than the body. (Alzheimer for one). So in most of these cases when there is a member of the family who is dying because of some kind of mental illness. The family members in question usually tend to completely disregard whatever that person is saying because that person is obviously not in his/her right state of mind.

But in Mary's case. I believe it's safe to assume that up until her death. Her mind was ''relatively'' healthy. I don't think that there's anything in the game that I can remember of that states the contrary. In other words, when she says: ''Between the drugs and the disease. I look like a monster''. We should at least take that comment into consideration because she wasn't a ''crazy person''.

You could argue that the ''Disease'' has affected her on an emotional level. Simply because of all the shit that you have to deal with when it comes to putting up with a terminal illness. But again. I still believe that her mind was healthy enough to understand what was going on. So when she said that the drugs was making her look like a ''monster''. She ''might'' have meant that the drugs and by extension the treatment IE chemotherapy. Was making her look the way she did.

Devoured. I understand that you weren't implying that we shouldn't listen to her comments because she was ''crazy''. I just felt like pointing that out.

I am not sure if this has ever been pointed out before. But I also believe that there was also another hidden message in that conversation between Mary and James.

I don't exactly remember what they were saying word for word. But I do remember that she was complaining about the fact that the hospital was keeping her alive for as long as they could in order to ''make a nice profit out of her''.

I think that line might have been a little jab by Team Silent towards the greater political interests concerning hospital policy. By that I mean that they might have been referring to the fact that ''some'' Doctors have the tendency to keep their patients alive for as long as possible. Even after said patient has been declared terminally ill and beyond all hope. Just because they feel the need to make their wallets just a little bit fatter.

In other words ''some'' Doctors deliberately keep their terminally ill patients alive for as long as humanly possible even if that patient is existing in a constant state of crippling agonizing pain, never ending suffering and (like Mary's case) dealing with a serious depression. Simply because from the Doctors standpoint. They are worth more to them alive than dead. Via expensive medication, extensive treatments, etc.

Now let me make this perfectly clear. ''I have absolutely no intention in starting a flame war because of this sensitive topic''. I don't want this thread to reduce itself into a massive argument over ''Naturalism vs The Sanctity of Life''. I just felt that this ''may'' have been a message that ''Team Silent'' wanted to get across ''not me''.
Last edited by vote4wsullivan on Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:07 am.

vote4wsullivan

Mary's Disease

Post by vote4wsullivan on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:12 am

''Minor spoilers below''

I happened to stumble upon another interesting theory concerning Mary's Disease. If anyone is interested the thread can be found here: http://www.silenthillforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=20166. The thing that caught my eye was what the second poster said. This theory basically suggest that Mary contracted AIDS on the count that she was raped in an apartment. Which is why James sees Pyramid Head ''apparently'' raping some of the other monsters at the Woodside/Blue Creek apartments. Which is why this is the only area in the game where we see something like this happening. Because when James explores the apartment in question. This somehow triggers the ''raping incident'' that is locked deep in his subconscious. Hence those painful memories end up resurfacing and becoming manifested externally via the town's magical powers or whatever.

While I don't particularly agree with this theory 110%. It does provide an interesting food for thought.

I understand that I may be reaching with all of this but I believe that this was something worth mentioning. Since I am the kind of person who doesn't like to lock himself up with just 1 theory of what Silent Hill is supposed to be. I prefer to study/analyze multiple concepts, ideas, and interpretations regarding the overall mystery and elusiveness of Silent Hill. And ultimately come up with my own conclusion.

what

From behind the veil

Mary's Disease

Post by what on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:27 am

I can't imagine why anybody would agree with it more than 0%, because it's absolute nonsense. If Mary had been raped, there's no way that such a terrible event would manifest in that one way and never be mentioned, or even hinted at, in any other way. It'd be something of a big deal. If James' unfulfilled sex drive manifests in everything, according to some people anyway, the rape of his wife should probably hold a huge place in his psyche. Especially if it resulted in her catching a horribly disfiguring and fatal illness.

Also, as I said in that thread myself:

I would think James would view the entire episode in a very different light if she had been killed by a super-virulent STD, copped from some previous sexual encounter.

vote4wsullivan

Mary's Disease

Post by vote4wsullivan on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:30 am

Okay. If her ''Disease'' was indeed in fact fictional or made up. Then what real life disease do you guys think comes ''closets'' to what she had. You know, besides buffalo herpes lol.

PS: incunbi37. When you said that she might have caught some sort of fungal spore or something related to their weird vegetation over there. Are you implying that she was messing around in an area where she wasn't supposed to be?

Cause I'm pretty sure that if they had some kind of weird shit growing around the town. The authorities or the local political figures would at least do something about it. Like finding ways of keeping that shit far and away from the general public.

For example. Putting up a sign with an an image of a skull that serves as a warning sign to any and all would be intruders: ''Warning keep away. Do not proceed past this area. Extremely hazardous vegetation lay beyond this heavily chained fence. Should you or anyone else you know. Come in direct contact with this heavily intoxicated substance. Consult a mortician. You will be dead in 3 years time''.

LOL :lol: I'm just kidding man.
Last edited by vote4wsullivan on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:56 am.

Next

Return to Silent Hill 2