Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Born From A Wish

Post by Princess Kenny on Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:19 pm

One of the bonuses with getting the HD collection was being able to play born from wish.

I loved it. One of the scariest moment was in the attic hearing Amy Baldwin. I also loved the cut scenes between Maria and Ernest. I just wondered if everyone else enjoyed it. Also What motivated TS to do a side-story specifically to SH2.
The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

Q. Valintyne

Unofficial Drawception Champion of SHC

Born From A Wish

Post by Q. Valintyne on Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:32 pm

I really, really enjoyed it. I have the original version of SH2, so I never had the chance to play it before now. The cutscenes between Ernest and Maria (especially with the new voices) were fantastically done and really moving.

I think people had a lot of questions about Maria. Does anyone know if Born From A Wish was developed prior to the original release but cut at the last minute?

Shadedarkan

Apprentice

Born From A Wish

Post by Shadedarkan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:51 pm

From what I understand, the PS original release did not have it. They made a port for XBOX, called Restless Dreams, that included the side story. Then ported it back over to PS under the same name as the XBOX version with the side story less than a year after the original PS release. As far as the reasoning for all of a sudden adding the side story to the game, I don't know.
If they had already made it and knew they would be adding it to the game I can't see them purposefully releasing a version without it. I'd imagine it was going to be cut, then someone changed their mind about it. I just feel bad for all those people who bought the original PS release and had to go back six to eight months later and get the Restless Dreams release.
"Chaos is merely the realm of the infinite possibilities. Imagination is merely a spinning wheel pulling threads of reality from that realm. Thought is merely a loom weaving those threads into the fabric of existence." -Someone

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Born From A Wish

Post by Naroon on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:41 pm

The PS2 version was still just called "Silent Hill 2", but it was re-released under the Greatest Hits line and that version included all the bonus content from the Xbox and PC releases.

Believe it or not, but that scenario is my favorite part of the game. Ernest is my favorite character in the game besides Angela. I was fascinated by that scenario. Just the nature of Ernest and him staying in that mansion, or being stuck there for so long, unsure of
REVEAL SPOILER
why his beloved daughter Amy died.
I also loved the conversations Maria had with him.

I think it was created because fans had lots of questions about Maria's origins and whatnot around the time the game came out, so they developed that side-story to add more character development for her. I forgot where I read that at, but it was some time ago.

Shadedarkan

Apprentice

Born From A Wish

Post by Shadedarkan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:12 pm

My PS2 disc says Silent Hill 2: Restless Memories on it. Of course, I did buy it in 2005 while I was still in Okinawa. It should be a US version release though as I bought it on base. But, small things.

I like that her side story was an actual story and not just a series of disjointed scenes that caused more questions than anything else.
"Chaos is merely the realm of the infinite possibilities. Imagination is merely a spinning wheel pulling threads of reality from that realm. Thought is merely a loom weaving those threads into the fabric of existence." -Someone

WalterisHere

Raptor Jesus

Born From A Wish

Post by WalterisHere on Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:29 pm

onefreeman316 wrote:One of the bonuses with getting the HD collection was being able to play born from wish.

I loved it. One of the scariest moment was in the attic hearing Amy Baldwin. I also loved the cut scenes between Maria and Ernest. I just wondered if everyone else enjoyed it. Also What motivated TS to do a side-story specifically to SH2.

I think every SH should of had a side quest. SH 1 with cybil, SH3 with Douglas, SH 4 with Eileen. anyone else???
"You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy." - Charlie Manson

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Born From A Wish

Post by Naroon on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:15 pm

Shadedarkan wrote:My PS2 disc says Silent Hill 2: Restless Memories on it. Of course, I did buy it in 2005 while I was still in Okinawa. It should be a US version release though as I bought it on base. But, small things.

Not doubting you at all, since SH2 had sooooo many different titles across the various regions (NTSC & PAL, various systems) and whatnot. The standard release, the PC release, the Xbox release, the Greatest Hits version on PS2, the budget line in Japan, etc. There were close to around 10 different names/versions altogether from what I remember, lol.

edit: As for every game having a sidequest, I dunno. It'd be cool, but only if done right, like in SH2. It would've been cool to see what Douglas saw, and him trying to track down Claudia. Eileen's scenario might suck since all she did was go to parties and do random chores around her apartment :p.

Shadedarkan

Apprentice

Born From A Wish

Post by Shadedarkan on Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:46 pm

Yeah, when I went to get a new copy Gamestop didn't know what I was talking about when I asked them to see the disc because I wanted to make sure it had the Born from a Wish on it. You definitely have to make sure if you are getting a new PS2 version to get the right one.

I don't think every game should have one. The point of the side quest was to reveal more information, but if every game had one then we wouldn't have anything to argue about on this forum.

TheCrazy

Inner Fear on Wordpress

Born From A Wish

Post by TheCrazy on Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:07 pm

I really enjoyed how this sub-scenario complements the main game by letting us play as Maria. I think that it was great and I gladly had the chance to play it back on 2003 when I got my Xbox copy - Silent Hill 2 Inner Fears (european title)

Another Silent Hill game where a sub-scenario would make sense was Downpour, it seems that Anne lived her very own nightmare in the town... but this belongs to other topic, so nvm!
My Silent Hill blog:

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Born From A Wish

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:55 pm

Shadedarkan wrote:From what I understand, the PS original release did not have it. They made a port for XBOX, called Restless Dreams, that included the side story. Then ported it back over to PS under the same name as the XBOX version with the side story less than a year after the original PS release. As far as the reasoning for all of a sudden adding the side story to the game, I don't know.

This. The first copy I bought did not have it, IIRC, so I bought another copy so I could get that and the UFO ending.
ImageImageImage

EliphasLevi

Follower of the Red God

Born From A Wish

Post by EliphasLevi on Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:05 am

Yes I never got a chance to play this sub scenario, didn't know it existed. Didn't have the internet at the time, I was living pretty ghetto. Hopefully they'll patch the 360 version so when I play it doesn't blow the console.
I'll beat you like a bad step son in two seconds, if you don't make me a beagle.

voodoohandbag

Born From A Wish

Post by voodoohandbag on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:09 am

The HD Collection was my first chance to play this short scenario, too. I've got to say, I really enjoyed it. I expected more of a focus on Maria, to be honest, although I did have a bit of a fangirl squee when I heard Travis Willingham's voice. That really helped me appreciate it ;)
Master of my own illusionary world.

Oomi

Born From A Wish

Post by Oomi on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:26 pm

onefreeman316 wrote:One of the scariest moment was in the attic hearing Amy Baldwin.

Yes, I agree! I had my volume up rather high during that part. Startled me when Amy & Earnest started talking. @_@ Overall I enjoyed Born From a Wish, but I wish the sub scenario was a little longer.

Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Born From A Wish

Post by Princess Kenny on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:20 am

Oomi wrote:
onefreeman316 wrote:One of the scariest moment was in the attic hearing Amy Baldwin.

Yes, I agree! I had my volume up rather high during that part. Startled me when Amy & Earnest started talking. @_@ Overall I enjoyed Born From a Wish, but I wish the sub scenario was a little longer.

I was wearing earphone that was plugged into my TV so when I heard her I jumped and my earphones fell of. I too wish it was longer.
The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Born From A Wish

Post by Naroon on Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:06 pm

I third this notion of wishing it were longer. I wish Ernest were explored a bit more.

Devoured

Born From A Wish

Post by Devoured on Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:01 pm

For the record, I'm 99% sure it was officially confirmed somewhere [Making Of SH3 possibly?] that it was done after SH2 had been released because Maria basically 'outgrew' what they had intended her to be, and they felt the need to create a scenario for her to further explore her nature. Not that we get many straight-forward answers, but after 2 we pretty much have no real clue as to just what she is exactly, if she was consciously messing with James, to just what extent she actually thought for herself, and we do learn quite a bit about her motivations in that sense.

Q. Valintyne

Unofficial Drawception Champion of SHC

Born From A Wish

Post by Q. Valintyne on Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Devoured wrote:For the record, I'm 99% sure it was officially confirmed somewhere [Making Of SH3 possibly?] that it was done after SH2 had been released because Maria basically 'outgrew' what they had intended her to be, and they felt the need to create a scenario for her to further explore her nature. Not that we get many straight-forward answers, but after 2 we pretty much have no real clue as to just what she is exactly, if she was consciously messing with James, to just what extent she actually thought for herself, and we do learn quite a bit about her motivations in that sense.

This answered my original question. It wasn't in the Making Of (not the one I saw, anyway). It must've been somewhere else.

People thought I meant "was it on the original SH2 disc."

Silly people. :lol: I may look dumb, but I'm totally not.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Born From A Wish

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:13 pm

Me too. I just receive my Greatest edition. It didn't recognize my old saves on memory card, never mind, I'll play it again!

Devoured

Born From A Wish

Post by Devoured on Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:51 am

Q. Valintyne wrote:This answered my original question. It wasn't in the Making Of (not the one I saw, anyway). It must've been somewhere else.

People thought I meant "was it on the original SH2 disc."

Silly people. :lol: I may look dumb, but I'm totally not.

Yeah I wasn't too sure about it being in the Making Of SH3 but I'm sure it was quickly touched upon in some interview like the Making Ofs had, and I don't think we've had all that many [with actual video footage]...

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Born From A Wish

Post by PinentidHead on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 pm

I play it half hour ago. The scenario is cool, but I don't think agree much to the main story as it doesn't explain much and open more questions. Maria now got a higher status and the story stop rounding only James. She is closer to James and who is she anyway? Amy really die or Maria is Amy reborn by Ernest with already 17 years old, prostituted and thinking about blow his own head? I'm more confused than before...

Next

Return to Silent Hill 2