Pazuzu

Harry Mason Vs. Pyramid Head

Post by Pazuzu on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Sounds reasonable. Could PH possibly be after Kaufman? He's certainly terrible enough to merit his wrath and he tries to initially act helpful to Harry until his true nature is revealed during the Good endings. If PH is tailing Kaufman who in turn also runs into Harry, that could provide a plausible means as to how and why PH and Harry could encounter one another. Kaufman had some involvement with the cult but also his own agenda, so he wasn't on good terms with anybody.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:54 pm

Kaufman gets overlooked quite a bit. He is a pretty dastardly character in the 1st game....

But he gets his too ....

Pazuzu

Post by Pazuzu on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 pm

He'd certainly be bad enough to warrant PH coming for him, but if he somehow evaded PH if we're to believe PH had some degree of involvement in SH1, then Lisa finished the job somehow.

I also got to wonder in the years between SH1 and SH3 if Harry had more encounters or run-ins with the cult. PH could somehow fit into that timeframe if something occured.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Pazuzu wrote:He'd certainly be bad enough to warrant PH coming for him, but if he somehow evaded PH if we're to believe PH had some degree of involvement in SH1, then Lisa finished the job somehow.

I also got to wonder in the years between SH1 and SH3 if Harry had more encounters or run-ins with the cult. PH could somehow fit into that timeframe if something occured.

I am pretty sure while Harry and Heather were hiding out Harry had to kill a cult member and escape from the Order again.
Last edited by Otherworld on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:41 am.

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Otherworld wrote:
Royal Fizzbin wrote:How about an alternate timeline where Harry was alive and present during the events of Homecoming? It seems in that game Silent Hill is unleashing the monsters indiscriminately on everyone in the area, because the founders descendants failed to fulfill their sacrifice quota. We know that Pyramid Head definitely got Adam, but I seem to remember finding other bodies in the game cleaved in two hinting at the probability that PH had been through the area doing some meat work.

Those other bodies, if I am not mistaken, are all models of Adam. In fact, the man standing over Alex in the beginning cut scene is a model of Adam and PH kills right away.

Okay, that could very well be the case.

Otherworld wrote:
Royal Fizzbin wrote:Also Homecoming would seem to support my earlier hypothesis that one person can indeed cross over into another person’s experience and fight and kill that other person’s guilt monster. Alex does exactly this at least 3 times with Sepulcher, Scarlet, and Asphyxia. None of these were his monsters, but he fought and killed each one of them. And thinking about this leads me to a question, why did Alex fight these three guilt monsters, but he doesn’t fight the fourth which was The Bogeyman (PH) who killed his father? Strange design choice. I’ve never really thought about that until now.

But in any event, if Harry were around during Homecoming it might be his chance to have a go at Pyramid Head.

This really goes back to the same question asked about Abstract Daddy as well. James kills AD so we want to compare Abstract Daddy, Sepulcher, Scarlet, and Asphyxia to PH (the executioner type monster) but we cannot because only PH (the executioner type monster) is directly tied to Vatiel.

The other monsters are not.

Admittedly I’m not all that versed in the SH:BOLM stuff. But it does feel like as time went on PH got some considerable retcon into a larger role than originally intended for SH2. But it seems the Bogeyman of Homecoming might not be as cut-and-dried as that.

If this source is correct, it seems that according to authorial intent with this particular game the relationship between Bogeyman and PH as well as the origin of Bogeyman in Homecoming was left undefined and open to the personal interpretation of the player. It would seem unnecessarily dogmatic to insist on a link to Valtiel in this particular case.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:53 pm

I wrote a topic on why PH doesn't have to be exclusive to James:

https://thespiralgrove.com/2017/09/16/p ... clusivity/
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:43 am

I remember we discussed this a lot in the past. I think PH is not exclusive to James, however, it depends on James to exists - maybe that's why it is so confuse. PH is not a lost monster in SH, he will be coming for you, like in a fary tale, and that's why he lost a bit of his horror-strenght in the movie.

Ito whants to kill him now, we should open a thread Ito vs PH and make our bets!

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:32 am

Xuchilbara wrote:I wrote a topic on why PH doesn't have to be exclusive to James:

That could be a valid understanding of PH. Otherworld’s stand on the matter also is perfectly valid and respectable. But if so, to me much of that feels like a well after the fact retcon on the initial intent of the PH role in SH2.

Certainly SH had its history with the events of SH 1. And yes certain monsters reappear throughout the series like the Creeper and the Nurses. But in the first SH, Alessa has real powers that are being used to give birth to the god of the order and create their ideal world. In SH2, as I understand his character, James has no such powers. What Alessa creates is more like carving Mt. Rushmore National Memorial in granite, it’s something that’s going to last. Whereas it seems like what James is doing in SH2 is more akin to building a small sandcastle on the beach, something that’s likely to exist only as long as he’s around to maintain it.

In SH2 the energy of the area feels like it comes across as a blank canvas for people to project the world of their own head on. In these discussions PH is often said to be an executioner. In SH2 PH doesn’t really seem to be that for James, but instead is a punisher. James likely was coming to SH in the first place to kill or execute himself. James killed or executed his wife. Given this understanding, in SH2 James likely is the executioner. Pyramid head is likely James subconscious projection of himself. That seems to be the role of PH in this particular game. Something generated by James for James. PH looks like an executioner because that’s what James needs to see to accept the truth. PH executes Maria multiple because that’s what James needs to see to accept the truth. These are the truths already buried away in James head. But for James himself it seems that PH is a punisher and even a catalyst or driving force, not an executioner.

It’s interesting that in the opening scene of the game we see James staring at himself in the mirror. As an audience we see James reflection in the mirror, but are we sure that’s what James sees? Its interesting that in that scene he then takes his hand and pulls it in a downward motion across his face, almost like he’s pulling down a hood or mask of some kind.

That said, I can accept this is just my understanding based on the events of SH2. It could be wrong. And the character of PH has subsequently been given a larger role in the franchise than what he was used for in SH2. Sorry if I’m coming across as argumentative, I do respect both positions of you and Otherworld, as well as enjoy reading them.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:55 am

Royal Fizzbin wrote:Certainly SH had its history with the events of SH 1. And yes certain monsters reappear throughout the series like the Creeper and the Nurses. But in the first SH, Alessa has real powers that are being used to give birth to the god of the order and create their ideal world. In SH2, as I understand his character, James has no such powers. What Alessa creates is more like carving Mt. Rushmore National Memorial in granite, it’s something that’s going to last. Whereas it seems like what James is doing in SH2 is more akin to building a small sandcastle on the beach, something that’s likely to exist only as long as he’s around to maintain it.

Both James and Alessa have nothing to do with the happenings in Silent Hill 2. It is the town "The Place of the Silent Spirits" that is responsible for the happenings in Silent Hill 2. That is were the power comes from.

BoLM quote:

Originally Silent Hill was a holy place to the area's former inhabitants. It would seem that although the power of the town was not evil in nature, due to a number of factors including the spread of an epidemic and executions at the prison, the power that this place held was greatly distorted. Furthermore, due to the large-scale shift to the otherworld that occurred in the first game, the town has become a great catalyst for the manifestation of peoples' unconscious minds. It appears to have become a place that beckons to those who hold darkness in their hearts.

Silent Hill was once revered as a sacred place. That power has been completely twisted over the course of history.

The power of the town has become twisted because of it's history. The distortion of it was heavily influenced by the events of the first game as well. That is why we see a lot of cross over from the first game as far as bugs, nurses etc. What is also left over is the rituals of the Order in regards to the punishment of sinners.

BoLM quote:

Originally, the pyramid head outfit was the guise of Silent Hill's executioners. Three years ago when James visited this town, that figure overlapped with his own feelings of guilt, and then later appears as a representation of his desire for punishment in the otherworld created by his subconscious.

Valtiel is the being that Pyramid Head is modeled after. His form is also seen differently depending on the person.

So the state the town is in at the time of Silent Hill 2 is due to a lot of the vile things that have happened in its history including Civil War, a penal colony and prison, an epidemic that left tons dead. Stories of the Little Baroness and other boating accidents on Toluca Lake. The twisting of what the Native Americans called the holy land has been happening for some time. Add what happened in the 1st game to the mix and you get what Silent Hill is at the time of Silent Hill 2.

Royal Fizzbin wrote:In SH2 the energy of the area feels like it comes across as a blank canvas for people to project the world of their own head on. In these discussions PH is often said to be an executioner. In SH2 PH doesn’t really seem to be that for James, but instead is a punisher. James likely was coming to SH in the first place to kill or execute himself. James killed or executed his wife. Given this understanding, in SH2 James likely is the executioner. Pyramid head is likely James subconscious projection of himself. That seems to be the role of PH in this particular game. Something generated by James for James. PH looks like an executioner because that’s what James needs to see to accept the truth. PH executes Maria multiple because that’s what James needs to see to accept the truth. These are the truths already buried away in James head. But for James himself it seems that PH is a punisher and even a catalyst or driving force, not an executioner.

Other than the preexisting footprint left there by the Order and by Alessas power the Silent Hill that exists in 2, is a Silent Hill that calls those who hold a profound darkness in their hearts.

It has been said by Ito that "James is another PH". PH is an executioner type monster that is derived by James subconscious to punish him for his sins. PH appears as a representation of his desire for punishment in the otherworld created by his subconscious.

BoLM quote:

Originally, the pyramid head outfit was the guise of Silent Hill's executioners. Three years ago when James visited this town, that figure overlapped with his own feelings of guilt, and then later appears as a representation of his desire for punishment in the otherworld created by his subconscious.

C r e a t o r ' s C o m m e n t a r y

Pyramid Head wounds Maria again and again to reiterate the actuality of Mary's death and wake James from his delusion. In other words, something in the depths of James' consciousness is trying to force him to remember his crime.(Hiroyuki Owaku)

So his look is modelled after the executioners of times past, but PH's existence is not to execute people for their sins.

Royal Fizzbin wrote:It’s interesting that in the opening scene of the game we see James staring at himself in the mirror. As an audience we see James reflection in the mirror, but are we sure that’s what James sees? Its interesting that in that scene he then takes his hand and pulls it in a downward motion across his face, almost like he’s pulling down a hood or mask of some kind.

That said, I can accept this is just my understanding based on the events of SH2. It could be wrong. And the character of PH has subsequently been given a larger role in the franchise than what he was used for in SH2. Sorry if I’m coming across as argumentative, I do respect both positions of you and Otherworld, as well as enjoy reading them.

It is interesting that you mention the mirror. As that scene...

Always reminds me of this scene ....

Also, notice James and PH hold their weapons the same as well...

Last edited by Otherworld on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:01 pm.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 am

Both James and Alessa have nothing to do with the happenings in Silent Hill 2.

Small correction. Technically Alessa does have something to do with the happenings of SH2 because prior to the events of the first game, stuff like 2 never happened. Alessa's power greatly distorted the town.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:26 pm

Ok, let's kill PH and burn BoM!!! I think the book is the canon reference but not the Bible (today it would be written differently). After "Born From a Wish" , the PH purpose became blur, though. Also there is two at the end, maybe he is a kind, not a guy. As long Maria appears as a delusion, a desire, she also cares about Laura and guide James, so she is not just an attempt of escape of the terrible truth, but maybe a hurted mind using a fantasy as support for lucidity (baby steps). She also can became real, as of PH - but he is probably not interested.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:14 pm

Xuchilbara wrote:
Otherworld wrote:Both James and Alessa have nothing to do with the happenings in Silent Hill 2.

Small correction. Technically Alessa does have something to do with the happenings of SH2 because prior to the events of the first game, stuff like 2 never happened. Alessa's power greatly distorted the town.

Yes, Alessa had something to do with what became of the town after the happenings of Silent Hill. That is why I posted the below BoLM quote:

Originally Silent Hill was a holy place to the area's former inhabitants. It would seem that although the power of the town was not evil in nature, due to a number of factors including the spread of an epidemic and executions at the prison, the power that this place held was greatly distorted. Furthermore, due to the large-scale shift to the otherworld that occurred in the first game, the town has become a great catalyst for the manifestation of peoples' unconscious minds. It appears to have become a place that beckons to those who hold darkness in their hearts.

Silent Hill was once revered as a sacred place. That power has been completely twisted over the course of history.

I should have been more clear. The power of the land has always been there, Alessas' power amplified it, it is the "cause" in this cause and effect scenario, and the "effect' is the state the town "power of the land' is in afterwards.

BoLM quote:

Starting with the first game, the power that the town holds has intensified greatly. It has reached the point that those who hold darkness in their hearts are called to gather, and each of their unconscious minds is manifested.

Due to Alessas' power the towns power has become a place that beckons to those who hold darkness in their hearts.

Due to the appearance of the otherworld on a massive scale in the first game, the town has come to be a place that calls those who hold a profound darkness in their hearts. It seems that people with afflicted minds are easily drawn to the otherworld.

Pazuzu

Post by Pazuzu on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Otherworld wrote:I am pretty sure while Harry and Heather were hiding out Harry had to kill a cult member and escape from the Order again.

18 years passed in-between 1 and 3, it's not unfeasible to think this incident could've occured after SH2 but before SH3, when PH would've existed. This right here opens up a good window for PH to exist and possibly come after Harry. Actually thinking it over, this would be a great way for a "lost chapter" story of sorts for SH, whether as a comic or game. Harry having another run-in in-between 1 and 3, which could also have included an encounter with a particular Pyramid Head. Seems like a feasible way for it to happen logically, rather than simply have the two encounter each other at random.

Xuchilbara wrote:I wrote a topic on why PH doesn't have to be exclusive to James:

Excellent article that brings up good points as to how and why PH can exist without James. If it hasn't been more widely shared it definitely should be.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:04 pm

Pazuzu wrote:
Otherworld wrote:I am pretty sure while Harry and Heather were hiding out Harry had to kill a cult member and escape from the Order again.

18 years passed in-between 1 and 3, it's not unfeasible to think this incident could've occured after SH2 but before SH3, when PH would've existed. This right here opens up a good window for PH to exist and possibly come after Harry. Actually thinking it over, this would be a great way for a "lost chapter" story of sorts for SH, whether as a comic or game. Harry having another run-in in-between 1 and 3, which could also have included an encounter with a particular Pyramid Head. Seems like a feasible way for it to happen logically, rather than simply have the two encounter each other at random.

With Harry murdering cult members he may in fact have a very good chance of being called by the towns power if he went back to Silent Hill.

If that happened, he could have encountered a Pyramid Head manifested for him by the towns power and his subconscious.

That fits the scenario as far as calling is concerned because the towns power would see Harry as a sinner.

Pazuzu

Post by Pazuzu on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:35 pm

That works very well, I think. Even though Harry is a true blue good guy, the cult and SH wouldn't see him that way so that right there would enable a Pyramid Head for him. Which begs the question as to how his own personalized PH would be and what would make him stand apart from other incarnations of him we've seen.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Otherworld wrote:
Pazuzu wrote:

With Harry murdering cult members he may in fact have a very good chance of being called by the towns power if he went back to Silent Hill.

If that happened, he could have encountered a Pyramid Head manifested for him by the towns power and his subconscious.

That fits the scenario as far as calling is concerned because the towns power would see Harry as a sinner.

I disagree. Heather straight up murdered cult members and the town never punishes her. (Both in and out of Silent Hill.) The 'sinner' aspect only comes into play when it's not defensible (justifiable) to do that.

Also, to be 'called' by the town means being outside the town and drawn to it. Harry would have had similar feelings to James, he did not.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:25 am

Xuchilbara wrote:
Otherworld wrote:
Pazuzu wrote:

I disagree. Heather straight up murdered cult members and the town never punishes her.

I understand your point but Heather is obviously a special case, as she is portrayed as the Mother of God. We know this as Vatiel is seen carrying her body away after her death. Plus the otherworld in Silent Hill 3 is derived by Claudia and Heather/Alessa' power. Not by the power of the town.

BoLM quote:

The main constituent of the otherworld differs in each work of the series.

[Silent Hill 3]
The shift to the otherworld that occurs in the shopping mall, among other places, has to do with Claudia. As she recovers her memories, Alessa's influence grows stronger.

Claudia possesses a unique power.

Xuchilbara wrote:(Both in and out of Silent Hill.) The 'sinner' aspect only comes into play when it's not defensible (justifiable) to do that.

If this were the case then why was Angela called? Angela killing her father is seen as murder through the towns "lense" and that act could be seen as even more justifiable than Harry killing cult members.

BoLM quote:

The main constituent of the otherworld differs in each work of the series.

[Silent Hill 2]
Regarding James, who escapes from the crime that he has committed, elements from the depths of his consciousness are manifested. What the power of the town causes to appear before him is an otherworld that is a combination of his delusions and his desire for punishment. As James acknowledges his crime, the otherworld disappears.

Xuchilbara wrote:Also, to be 'called' by the town means being outside the town and drawn to it. Harry would have had similar feelings to James, he did not.

BoLM quote:

Calling
Those who have guilt are summoned.

Due to the appearance of the otherworld on a massive scale in the first game, the town has come to be a place that calls those who hold a profound darkness in their hearts. It seems that people with afflicted minds are easily drawn to the otherworld.

The town calls to those who bear the weight of some crime and shows them what is in their hearts.

The shift to the otherworld that takes place outside the town depends entirely upon a unique power.

The power that absorbs and reflects what people hold in their hearts is established as being exclusive to the town of Silent Hill.

I interpret the above to be "called" is to be called to Silent Hills otherworld. An otherworld that calls to those who hold a profound darkness in their hearts. It is the power of the town causes that absorbs and reflects what people hold in their hearts is established as being exclusive to the town of Silent Hill.

Any shifts to the otherworld outside of town depend on a unique power that Claudia or the pact made to sacrifice the first born in Sheperds Glen have. To be "called" for your sins is to summoned to the otherworld that reflects what people hold in their hearts that is established as being exclusive to the town of Silent Hill by the the power of the town.

All this being said, would Harry actually be called to the otherworld if he went back to Silent Hill before his death Nobody can be sure.

Is it a possibility?

From how I interpret the BoLM quotes above, and with Angela's example tossed into the mix. I believe it is entirely plausible.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:08 pm

Otherworld wrote:
I understand your point but Heather is obviously a special case, as she is portrayed as the Mother of God. We know this as Vatiel is seen carrying her body away after her death. Plus the otherworld in Silent Hill 3 is derived by Claudia and Heather/Alessa' power. Not by the power of the town.

This is cherry picking. Just because Claudia and Alessa have powers, it does not discount the town's power. It doesn't magically go away. The town's unique power is to manifest what is in peoples' hearts. Claudia/Alessa do not necessarily control that. If it disappeared, Alessa would have never been able to influence it in the first place.

Xuchilbara wrote:(Both in and out of Silent Hill.) The 'sinner' aspect only comes into play when it's not defensible (justifiable) to do that.

If this were the case then why was Angela called? Angela killing her father is seen as murder through the towns "lense" and that act could be seen as even more justifiable than Harry killing cult members.

Heather is specifically described as "genuine" and "innocent" even though she wants to kill Claudia and goes to town to do so. Angela is not described by the creators in such terms, and may have manipulated her father. [Hence "the Seductress"] She also seems to have attacked her father when he was not doing anything to her. We also have to take into account that this isn't an American interpretation.

[Heather also killed more people.]

Xuchilbara wrote:Also, to be 'called' by the town means being outside the town and drawn to it. Harry would have had similar feelings to James, he did not.

BoLM quote:

Calling
Those who have guilt are summoned.

The town calls to those who bear the weight of some crime and shows them what is in their hearts.

The shift to the otherworld that takes place outside the town depends entirely upon a unique power.

The power that absorbs and reflects what people hold in their hearts is established as being exclusive to the town of Silent Hill.

I interpret the above to be "called" is to be called to Silent Hills otherworld. An otherworld that calls to those who hold a profound darkness in their hearts. It is the power of the town causes that absorbs and reflects what people hold in their hearts is established as being exclusive to the town of Silent Hill.

Any shifts to the otherworld outside of town depend on a unique power that Claudia or the pact made to sacrifice the first born in Sheperds Glen have. To be "called" for your sins is to summoned to the otherworld that reflects what people hold in their hearts that is established as being exclusive to the town of Silent Hill by the the power of the town.

All this being said, would Harry actually be called to the otherworld if he went back to Silent Hill before his death Nobody can be sure.

Is it a possibility?

From how I interpret the BoLM quotes above, and with Angela's example tossed into the mix. I believe it is entirely plausible.
[/quote]

Except Harry never had any guilt and was never called. You can tout that Heather is a "special case" all day long, but what about Claudia? She specifically killed an innocent man, felt guilt about it, and was not punished like James was.

If Harry went back to the town prior to his death he would have A) Disappeared or died and B) It would be mentioned in the lore as the franchise is called "SILENT HILL" and it would be a major plot point. The original developers are not going to mention anything that is not relevant. This would be spectacularly relevant.

Use Occam's Razor here.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:15 pm

I remember that near the end of SH3, there is a room with Harry's stuff. There is letter (I guess) he describe his own terrible thoughts, even killing Heather still baby because of the events of SH1. But he deiced to create her as his daughter, also he decided to confess somehow - seams like a Marvel or DC hero. I think Harry don't get the profile of a lost soul to be called by Silent Hill and have a chat with PH.

Could be interesting a meeting Harry and PH: - have you seen a little girl...

Royal Fizzbin

living that lie

Post by Royal Fizzbin on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:58 pm

If Harry is truly a decent, thoughtful, and morally sound person, I’d like to think he’d have some level of personal despair and wrestling with the moral culpability or killing someone, be they an order member or not. Look at James, he is practically forced to kill Eddie in self-defense, but even though it was a completely justifiable act of self preservation James still seems genuinely shaken to the core and sick over having killed Eddie. Probably most people who by principle genuinely value life would be highly distraught at having to kill someone, even if it were justifiable. To me this seems like it could be a plausible scenario for Harry to harbor darkness and guilt in his heart. And we all know what that means for Harry…

Oops, well yes, I guess it could mean a visit from him. But what I really meant was Harry’s in for…

Damnit, that one doesn’t seem quite right either, lets see how about….

There we go. That’s much better. It’s him.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill