mrking

Fear mode...mumblers???

Post by mrking on Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:57 pm

Hello! Silent Hill has been one of the scariest games ever along with Resident Evil. I have questions regarding to fear mode. First of all, I had 2 discs; black label and greatest hits but both discs were black. After doing research and reading I read that the grey disc with Cheryl on it is the original. Is the greatest hits with the black disc any different?
When I beat the game and saved it to play fear mode Harry was supposedly killed by mumblers in the alley rather than the grey/demons/children. I thought what??? Was one of the discs censored(don't recall which disc I used)? Which means replacing the grey children/demons with the mumblers? Or was this something random on fear mode? To me, the grey children/demons is a must have for the alley and the school for they are one of the scariest monsters in the game. I prefer the mumblers in the sewers. I now try to stay away from the censored version and prefer the original.
Has this happened to anyone else?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Fear mode...mumblers???

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:49 pm

I have both of those, I think the only difference is the picture of Cheryl on the disc (unless you have a non-US version, not sure where you are or if you bought one online or something).

The only differences I can think of offhand between regular (nondemo) versions is the American version having the grey children in the school and UK and Australia, I think, having the orange claw monsters instead (there and in the first alley area that you mentioned).
ImageImage

Giromancy

Fear mode...mumblers???

Post by Giromancy on Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:04 pm

Sorry for the offtopic guys, but can anyone confirm if the Greatest Hits version has the Fire article added please?
We know that the original NTSC release for some reason doesn´t have it, but it was included in the PAL & NTSC/J version later. Maybe Konami fix this in the Greatest Hits.

Fire Article PAL version (English).
==================================
Image Image Image
==================================

Sparagas

Fear mode...mumblers???

Post by Sparagas on Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:39 am

Hello, if we talk about software itself in the CD's, there are only 4 versions:

Europe
USA
Japan v1.0
Japan v1.1
Let's make SILENT HILL just PLAIN SCREAM

Keiyuu

Fear mode...mumblers???

Post by Keiyuu on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 am

To my knowledge there is no difference between the two American NTSC versions (SLUS-00707). It's just a Greatest Hits re-release. But what you describe there doesn't even make sense because when you start a game in Next Fear mode you skip the whole alley part and start right in the cafe. So in Next Fear mode the first child related monsters you see in the game, are at the school. If they're Mumblers this is either a PAL (Europe/Australia) or NTSC-J (Japan) version.

@Giromancy
For the same reason it's also not possible to unlock the fire article in neither of the two NTSC-U versions.
The video you posted also shows the botanical book btw. This one can be unlocked in all versions.

Return to Silent Hill