Page 1 of 2

Nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:14 pm
by smoke
This level was such a mindfuck to me the first time I played it. I remember thinking I was back in the hospital again at first but I didn't understand why I didn't have a map and why I was seeing hallways and rooms I didn't see before. When I went through one of the doors and wound up at the Green Lion antique shop I really didn't know what to think then. Where was I at? I had no clue. Then when I saved and it told me I was "Nowhere" I was like "What?! Nowhere? I have to be somewhere. I'm here aren't I? That's somewhere. How can I be nowhere?" Yeah that level got me good. It's still my favorite Silent Hill level so far. Anyone else get freaked out by Nowhere?

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:27 pm
by Otherworld
Yea, Nowhere was just another example of the "what the fuck" effect that Silent Hill did so well. The way the atmosphere, convoluted story, and mind bending places you end up all mixed together is truly what made it a success.

It is what truly what made it intriguing and frightening at the same time.

I mean, I remember first playing and wondering if I had done something wrong to make Harry pass out when he did lol.

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:27 pm
by PinentidHead
Is one of the moments I feel the world failing apart. I think is the point this game went, by far, beyond the original idea of horror survival that was very linked to RE so far. There is also the moment Harry wake up confused and the image is blur, but nowhere is more significant because is the alternate reality messed up, so the player lost the connection with know world... again!

Is particularly interesting that the Nowhere make you believe that things can be even worst - the otherworld is not the deeper. Usually the games increases the horror by increasing difficulties, monsters, twist points, visual and audio effects, etc., but Nowhere achieve the same effect in a silent way, before you realize!

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:51 pm
by Tabris
It was definitely a bit of a headtrip.

Of course when I first got there, I was just like, Alchemilla... again? Then seeing the antiques shop and the school room, it just felt so damn impossible. Or the elevator going to the same floor as it started on but the opposite side of the floor?

It was the scale of nowhere that finally made it sink in how insane Silent Hill was. Much like the Historical Society in Silent Hill 2.

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:32 am
by LisaGarland
And lets not forget Heather's Nowhere trip in SH3 - seeing the Midwich classroom remade was pretty awesome (and creepy)

Nowhere, as I like to see it, is the ultimate center of the Otherworld - where people's memories are manifested to full effect - creating a jumbled mess of rooms and nonsensical bends in time and space (magic elevators and teleporting etc)

SH2 didn't really have a section like this - the closest we saw was probably the Hotel at the end of the game.
The way James and Angela's memories collided to create the Daddy monsters in the hallways and the burning stairway.
(Note how James does a 180 and leaves, only to appear in the original staircase and not the hallway outside)

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 am
by Otherworld
LisaGarland wrote:And lets not forget Heather's Nowhere trip in SH3 - seeing the Midwich classroom remade was pretty awesome (and creepy)

Nowhere, as I like to see it, is the ultimate center of the Otherworld - where people's memories are manifested to full effect - creating a jumbled mess of rooms and nonsensical bends in time and space (magic elevators and teleporting etc)

SH2 didn't really have a section like this - the closest we saw was probably the Hotel at the end of the game.
The way James and Angela's memories collided to create the Daddy monsters in the hallways and the burning stairway.
(Note how James does a 180 and leaves, only to appear in the original staircase and not the hallway outside)


The Labyrinth seems to be the equivalent to Nowhere in SH2. At least for James. As there is no map.

The Hotel has some of the same aspects as well but we know it is part of James' journey early on and is also an actual real life destination as well.

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:29 am
by Tabris
I felt the whole Historical Society / Prison / Labyrinth area was his nowhere. It just wasn't the end of the game.

To me it's more fucky than any of the other 'Nowheres' in the series too. When you come out of the meat locker after killing Eddie and you're just on the other side of the Historical Society absolutely obliterated my mind at the time.

Especially feeling like you're damn near at the center of the Earth after all the holes you jump down and the elevator hah.

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:39 am
by Otherworld
Tabris wrote:I felt the whole Historical Society / Prison / Labyrinth area was his nowhere. It just wasn't the end of the game.

To me it's more fucky than any of the other 'Nowheres' in the series too. When you come out of the meat locker after killing Eddie and you're just on the other side of the Historical Society absolutely obliterated my mind at the time.

Especially feeling like you're damn near at the center of the Earth after all the holes you jump down and the elevator hah.


Agreed. I can remember getting into the boat and really wondering where the fuck am I going to end up next.....??? lol

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:41 am
by Tabris
And weirdly enough, you end up at probably one of the chillest and calm places in the entire series!

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:06 pm
by AgentAle47
Honestly when I get to "Nowhere" first time, I was kinda consused due the fact of what was happening, with Lisa acting strangely, that weird noise out of the room, and also how the path has become literally a path to hell, I was wondering what was happening, until later I realized it was because of Alessa losing her powers due to Flauros, is that right?

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:50 pm
by Xuchilbara
Otherworld wrote:
LisaGarland wrote:And lets not forget Heather's Nowhere trip in SH3 - seeing the Midwich classroom remade was pretty awesome (and creepy)

Nowhere, as I like to see it, is the ultimate center of the Otherworld - where people's memories are manifested to full effect - creating a jumbled mess of rooms and nonsensical bends in time and space (magic elevators and teleporting etc)

SH2 didn't really have a section like this - the closest we saw was probably the Hotel at the end of the game.
The way James and Angela's memories collided to create the Daddy monsters in the hallways and the burning stairway.
(Note how James does a 180 and leaves, only to appear in the original staircase and not the hallway outside)


The Labyrinth seems to be the equivalent to Nowhere in SH2. At least for James. As there is no map.

The Hotel has some of the same aspects as well but we know it is part of James' journey early on and is also an actual real life destination as well.

The memo says that a 'part that abyss is in the old society' or something. The abyss is probably the labyrinth.

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:51 am
by Otherworld
The Labyrinth just has the feel of Nowhere as well.....

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:06 pm
by Xuchilbara
I think the 'abyss' in Toluca lake and 'nowhere' are connected. But for James it was only "part of it". All I know about this, is people have completely disappeared on that lake, as made mention in the memos, and I suspect this 'abyss' has something to do with it.

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:41 am
by Otherworld
Parvatii wrote:I think the 'abyss' in Toluca lake and 'nowhere' are connected. But for James it was only "part of it". All I know about this, is people have completely disappeared on that lake, as made mention in the memos, and I suspect this 'abyss' has something to do with it.


I agree.

Abyss - a deep or seemingly bottomless chasm


We see James seemingly free fall into the abyss.

ImageImage
Image
Image

He meets Angela along the way as it seems she as fallen as well.....Image

Until he arrives here ....
Image

And then ultimately meets Eddie in this abyss as well ....
Image

And I am pretty sure Eddie "disappears" here .....

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:16 pm
by Xuchilbara
I never realized but you're probably right about the other two. I think it's close to the mind and heart. As James jumps down those holes they're a metaphor for the holes in his heart because of sin. Did the others 'fall' too?

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:36 pm
by Oohfakanorus
Maybe Downpour took the falling bit too far.
Origins kept it just so it could be controlled.
But where is nowhere in Silent Hill 4? Is it the slope?

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:40 am
by Otherworld
Parvatii wrote:I never realized but you're probably right about the other two. I think it's close to the mind and heart. As James jumps down those holes they're a metaphor for the holes in his heart because of sin. Did the others 'fall' too?


My best guess would yes, in some way, shape, or form... But there is no way to know for sure.

James is not aware of why he is there (the otherworld) just yet. So the representation of the holes being a metaphor for the holes in his heart makes perfect sense. But I believe that both Eddie and Angela are very aware of why they are both there (the otherworld), and I don't know if that comes into play here for either of them .....


Oohfakanorus wrote:Maybe Downpour took the falling bit too far.
Origins kept it just so it could be controlled.
But where is nowhere in Silent Hill 4? Is it the slope?


This is a good question..... I am unsure. Is there a section where there is no map provided?

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:08 pm
by HeatherVenus
Otherworld wrote:
Parvatii wrote:I never realized but you're probably right about the other two. I think it's close to the mind and heart. As James jumps down those holes they're a metaphor for the holes in his heart because of sin. Did the others 'fall' too?


My best guess would yes, in some way, shape, or form... But there is no way to know for sure.

James is not aware of why he is there (the otherworld) just yet. So the representation of the holes being a metaphor for the holes in his heart makes perfect sense. But I believe that both Eddie and Angela are very aware of why they are both there (the otherworld), and I don't know if that comes into play here for either of them .....


Oohfakanorus wrote:Maybe Downpour took the falling bit too far.
Origins kept it just so it could be controlled.
But where is nowhere in Silent Hill 4? Is it the slope?


This is a good question..... I am unsure. Is there a section where there is no map provided?


Regarding SH4, I think that spiral staircase is the Nowhere

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 am
by Otherworld
Come to think of it..... the Water Prison may be a take on Nowhere ... as far as Walter is concerned ......
Image

Re: Nowhere

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:05 am
by LisaGarland
The abyss mentioned in the memo of SH2 isn't meant to be taken literally. Its a metaphor for whats inside James's mind.
(much like the Doctor's Note in Brookhaven is a projection of James's mind trying to validate his delusion - it isn't an actual letter - much like how Mary's Letter was manifested from James's brain too)
Lets look at the Director's Memo and his note together as one piece (since the wrench memo is a continuation)
I edited out most of the memo to only contain the key parts that are of any use.


"He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across
the abyss is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
The truth can only be learned
by marching forward.
"Or perhaps you are a fool.
The truth usually betrays people.
A part of that abyss is
in the old society.
I also saw that thing.
I fled, but the museum
was sealed as well.
Now no one dares to
approach that place.
If you do not wish to stop,
James,
I pray to the Lord to have
mercy on your eternal soul."

Now, if this was a ''real'' Director leaving a note - how does he even know James name? They have never met.
It shows that the memo is a projection from James subconscious - much like the Abyss is also a projection.

This memo again, is James subconscious trying to stop him from finding out the truth. At first, it sounds promising - advising him where to go next.
However the second half seems to want to deter him - warning him to stay away.
I see this as James's inner conflict - between finding the truth, and wanting to live his delusion where Mary is alive.

The prison sections screwy design shows James in turmoil - falling deeper and deeper into the Abyss which lies within himself.. as we know - the Otherworld is actually inside someone's subconscious until it is manifested by the powers of the town.
So the ''Director's'' note is actually talking about James looking inside himself to discover the truth.