smoke

Nowhere

Post by smoke on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:14 pm

This level was such a mindfuck to me the first time I played it. I remember thinking I was back in the hospital again at first but I didn't understand why I didn't have a map and why I was seeing hallways and rooms I didn't see before. When I went through one of the doors and wound up at the Green Lion antique shop I really didn't know what to think then. Where was I at? I had no clue. Then when I saved and it told me I was "Nowhere" I was like "What?! Nowhere? I have to be somewhere. I'm here aren't I? That's somewhere. How can I be nowhere?" Yeah that level got me good. It's still my favorite Silent Hill level so far. Anyone else get freaked out by Nowhere?

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Nowhere

Post by Otherworld on Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:27 pm

Yea, Nowhere was just another example of the "what the fuck" effect that Silent Hill did so well. The way the atmosphere, convoluted story, and mind bending places you end up all mixed together is truly what made it a success.

It is what truly what made it intriguing and frightening at the same time.

I mean, I remember first playing and wondering if I had done something wrong to make Harry pass out when he did lol.
Last edited by Otherworld on Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:23 am.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Nowhere

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:27 pm

Is one of the moments I feel the world failing apart. I think is the point this game went, by far, beyond the original idea of horror survival that was very linked to RE so far. There is also the moment Harry wake up confused and the image is blur, but nowhere is more significant because is the alternate reality messed up, so the player lost the connection with know world... again!

Is particularly interesting that the Nowhere make you believe that things can be even worst - the otherworld is not the deeper. Usually the games increases the horror by increasing difficulties, monsters, twist points, visual and audio effects, etc., but Nowhere achieve the same effect in a silent way, before you realize!

Tabris

Nowhere

Post by Tabris on Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:51 pm

It was definitely a bit of a headtrip.

Of course when I first got there, I was just like, Alchemilla... again? Then seeing the antiques shop and the school room, it just felt so damn impossible. Or the elevator going to the same floor as it started on but the opposite side of the floor?

It was the scale of nowhere that finally made it sink in how insane Silent Hill was. Much like the Historical Society in Silent Hill 2.

LisaGarland

Nowhere

Post by LisaGarland on Wed May 17, 2017 6:32 am

And lets not forget Heather's Nowhere trip in SH3 - seeing the Midwich classroom remade was pretty awesome (and creepy)

Nowhere, as I like to see it, is the ultimate center of the Otherworld - where people's memories are manifested to full effect - creating a jumbled mess of rooms and nonsensical bends in time and space (magic elevators and teleporting etc)

SH2 didn't really have a section like this - the closest we saw was probably the Hotel at the end of the game.
The way James and Angela's memories collided to create the Daddy monsters in the hallways and the burning stairway.
(Note how James does a 180 and leaves, only to appear in the original staircase and not the hallway outside)
"I won't tell a soul. Promise. So please...."

Otherworld

Nowhere

Post by Otherworld on Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 am

LisaGarland wrote:And lets not forget Heather's Nowhere trip in SH3 - seeing the Midwich classroom remade was pretty awesome (and creepy)

Nowhere, as I like to see it, is the ultimate center of the Otherworld - where people's memories are manifested to full effect - creating a jumbled mess of rooms and nonsensical bends in time and space (magic elevators and teleporting etc)

SH2 didn't really have a section like this - the closest we saw was probably the Hotel at the end of the game.
The way James and Angela's memories collided to create the Daddy monsters in the hallways and the burning stairway.
(Note how James does a 180 and leaves, only to appear in the original staircase and not the hallway outside)

The Labyrinth seems to be the equivalent to Nowhere in SH2. At least for James. As there is no map.

The Hotel has some of the same aspects as well but we know it is part of James' journey early on and is also an actual real life destination as well.

Tabris

Nowhere

Post by Tabris on Fri May 19, 2017 10:29 am

I felt the whole Historical Society / Prison / Labyrinth area was his nowhere. It just wasn't the end of the game.

To me it's more fucky than any of the other 'Nowheres' in the series too. When you come out of the meat locker after killing Eddie and you're just on the other side of the Historical Society absolutely obliterated my mind at the time.

Especially feeling like you're damn near at the center of the Earth after all the holes you jump down and the elevator hah.

Otherworld

Nowhere

Post by Otherworld on Fri May 19, 2017 10:39 am

Tabris wrote:I felt the whole Historical Society / Prison / Labyrinth area was his nowhere. It just wasn't the end of the game.

To me it's more fucky than any of the other 'Nowheres' in the series too. When you come out of the meat locker after killing Eddie and you're just on the other side of the Historical Society absolutely obliterated my mind at the time.

Especially feeling like you're damn near at the center of the Earth after all the holes you jump down and the elevator hah.

Agreed. I can remember getting into the boat and really wondering where the fuck am I going to end up next.....??? lol

Tabris

Nowhere

Post by Tabris on Fri May 19, 2017 10:41 am

And weirdly enough, you end up at probably one of the chillest and calm places in the entire series!

Return to Silent Hill