jam6i

The "Anywhere" Glitch (Updated)

Post by jam6i on Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:11 am

*Update Feb 2017*
Possibly just a random glitch. Read my new thread post below.

-----------------
Stumbled upon this glitch video on youtube. I've never heard of this before.

Apparently if you try to use the ring of contract on Alessa's door (leading to the final boss) it will take you to the save screen and if you save the slot will be named "Anywhere".

I haven't been able to test this myself but it looks legit. Anyone ever tried to use the ring of contract in that door? I never have.

I think it's worth mentioning because of the awesome juxtaposition of "Nowhere" and "Anywhere". Has this word ever been found in the game data?

And I did NOT find this glitch. I'm not taking claim on this.
Last edited by jam6i on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:08 pm.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:04 am

Weird how the save screen comes up there. I wonder if anything would have happened if he used that slot ....

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:04 pm

They say in the description when they load the Anywhere file it takes them back to Alessa's room, and the only difference is they can't progress because using the ring of contract on the door literally uses the ring of contract on the door (as in it disappears from the inventory).

Maybe they originally planned for the ring of contract to be one of the items on the door and they changed it during dev and gave the ring a different use? To be honest, that fridge monster and dagger puzzle always seemed really out of place even in a game that had exploding clocks and bathroom teleportation. So it would make some sense that that "puzzle" was kind of an afterthought.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:37 am

It would cool to see if there is some sort of hack to respawn the key into your inventory and try to progress ....

Just to see if anything changes ...

Roden

Post by Roden on Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:02 pm

Interesting find! I'd like to test that sometime.

jam6i wrote:To be honest, that fridge monster and dagger puzzle always seemed really out of place even in a game that had exploding clocks and bathroom teleportation. So it would make some sense that that "puzzle" was kind of an afterthought.

Well the last "dungeon" did seem a bit of an after thought with all the past areas, but it related to the story well. I thought the fridge monster was kinda cool. By the way, according to the demo files, the ring of contract is a "meteoric iron ring" - in the final game the description is "Rustic, hefty-looking ring of unknown material."

codaMaestoso

Post by codaMaestoso on Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:34 am

jam6i wrote:They say in the description when they load the Anywhere file it takes them back to Alessa's room, and the only difference is they can't progress because using the ring of contract on the door literally uses the ring of contract on the door (as in it disappears from the inventory).

Otherworld wrote:It would cool to see if there is some sort of hack to respawn the key into your inventory and try to progress ....

This is actually possible without hacks or cheats. If you perform a trigger skip after getting the Dagger of Melchior, and before using the Ring of Contract, you can exit the room without triggering the death scene. This way, you could get the "Anywhere" save without losing the option to progress.

I'm gonna try it tomorrow and see what happens.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 am

codaMaestoso wrote:
jam6i wrote:They say in the description when they load the Anywhere file it takes them back to Alessa's room, and the only difference is they can't progress because using the ring of contract on the door literally uses the ring of contract on the door (as in it disappears from the inventory).

Otherworld wrote:It would cool to see if there is some sort of hack to respawn the key into your inventory and try to progress ....

This is actually possible without hacks or cheats. If you perform a trigger skip after getting the Dagger of Melchior, and before using the Ring of Contract, you can exit the room without triggering the death scene. This way, you could get the "Anywhere" save without losing the option to progress.

I'm gonna try it tomorrow and see what happens.

Wow, please let us know how it goes and if there are any differences. Thank you.

codaMaestoso

Post by codaMaestoso on Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:46 am

Otherworld wrote:Wow, please let us know how it goes and if there are any differences. Thank you.

I just tried it out on my PAL version, but the Ring of Contract doesn't do anything on the Nowhere door. Unfortunately I don't have a NTSC version to test it on, but I might emulate it just to try.

If that doesn't work, I suspect the glitch is just very uncommon. I assumed the Anywhere save glitch would be easy to replicate, which might not be the case.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:01 am

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:06 pm

I finally remembered to test this out a few days ago and I couldn't replicate this glitch.

I was playing on psn download for my ps3 (NA) and I replicated the gameplay as it was in the video. Inventory items in possessipn, the order of objects used on the door, everything. When it comes to glitching, sometimes something that seems irrelevant is the key to replicating the glitch. That maybe having a certain inventory set allowed this to occur, or that using the items in a certain sequence messes with the programming of the ring of contract.

But I simply can't replicate this.

Some glitches just happen and can't be replicated. Maybe this is one of those.

Return to Silent Hill