PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

SH1 ePSXe Screens; Hi-Res + AA + FS Filter + Post-process fx

Post by PinentidHead on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Cool! You got some improvement in your graphics. I'm using PCSX reloaded for Mac and the only option is Dither Rendering, that make the colors a little better:

Zom-B

Post by Zom-B on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:56 pm

This is exactly how I play it! With the DualShock 3 and everything.

It would be great to edit the FOV so it wouldn't stretch to 16:9, but I don't think emulators can do that sort of thing yet (if ever).

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:57 pm

You can do it with PCSX2 with a few hacks:

I got a seemingly native 16:9 in a few games on ePSXe, but it doesn't work on all of them. I never tried it with Silent Hill, but I got it working with THPS 1 & 2, Test Drive 5 & 6, and a few other games. Looks cool.

Crystopsy

Canadian Role Model

Post by Crystopsy on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:45 pm

NarooN wrote:You can just use any gamepad, I use my DualShock 3 to play emu games.

Thank you so much for posting this! I do have one question though concerning potentially purchasing a gamepad for my computer. I was going to go the route of buying a Gaming Receiver for my Xbox 360 controller and syncing that onto my PC, but It's noted also that It's more oriented towards Windows games. So my questions now are: Will a 360 controller work with the majority of emulated games i.e. Silent Hill 1,2,3,4, Resident Evil 1,2,3, etc..., or would It be more beneficial to buy a gamepad made directly for use on the computer? If so, what brands would you recommend? I'm guessing my price ranges from 20 - 40$. Thanks!

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:34 pm

I think Microsoft actually made a 360 controller just for the PC, so you can try that, but otherwise a normal 360 controller would still work pretty well. I sometimes make my DualShock 3 emulate a 360 pad if I'm playing modern PC games like Mercenaries 2. The emulators also work very well with them.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Thu May 03, 2012 5:34 pm

NarooN wrote:You can do it with PCSX2 with a few hacks:

I got a seemingly native 16:9 in a few games on ePSXe, but it doesn't work on all of them. I never tried it with Silent Hill, but I got it working with THPS 1 & 2, Test Drive 5 & 6, and a few other games. Looks cool.

This is a PS2 game. Most of these games already got 16:9 native to a HD TV with five connectors cable. SH1 is a little more complicated, though. Maybe got to patch it.

By the way, Heater's voice is strange, if I close my eyes, it seams a 27 years old woman, not 17... Why they didn't hire Hanna Montana to do the job?

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Thu May 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Very few PS2 games had widescreen support, and I don't think any of them gave a native 16:9. It was always either anamorphic widescreen or the devs just cheating and cropping off pixels from the top and bottom of the picture. SH3 didn't have a widescreen option at all.

The only thing component cables were good for was providing a much better image overall than composite, and it also allowed you to use 480p on games that supported it.

With PCSX2, you can get a true 16:9 picture at whatever resolution you wish with that guy's hack.

Also don't really know what you mean with the voice, since that's the original PS2 version and hence, the original voiceover with Heather Morris...

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Fri May 04, 2012 10:29 pm

NarooN wrote:Very few PS2 games had widescreen support, and I don't think any of them gave a native 16:9. It was always either anamorphic widescreen or the devs just cheating and cropping off pixels from the top and bottom of the picture. SH3 didn't have a widescreen option at all.

The only thing component cables were good for was providing a much better image overall than composite, and it also allowed you to use 480p on games that supported it.

With PCSX2, you can get a true 16:9 picture at whatever resolution you wish with that guy's hack.

Also don't really know what you mean with the voice, since that's the original PS2 version and hence, the original voiceover with Heather Morris...

Well, is in the manual of RE4 and I think my race games got too. You have to initiate the game in this mode by pressing some buttons, but I didn't see it yet because my TV is an old CRT 29" :(

siha

Post by siha on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:04 am

Finally got my hands on SH1 and got the ePSXe to work but now that I saw this thread, NarooN, I need to ask you: are the settings you changd to get these results in the Video Settings Configuration in the ePSXe or is it something custom you made? :)
I was thinking...you're nice, but you can't help me.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Most of the plugins come with ePSXe, though I did use some custom shaders. I'll upload them here later along with a small descriptor of how to enable them.

siha

Post by siha on Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:57 am

That would be awesome, thank you.
I was thinking...you're nice, but you can't help me.

smoke

Post by smoke on Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:04 am

NarooN wrote:You can do it with PCSX2 with a few hacks:

This is pretty sweet but I'm curious how you can make a game play in widescreen if it's not designed for it. I mean you can stretch the picture out but that's not the same thing. Either way I bet you need a seriously good PC if you wanna play ps2 games on it.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:02 pm

The widescreen hack works by internally changing the game's field of view as well as true aspect ratio. This is only possible with hacks or external hardware/software on the PS2, and in this case, PS2 emulation. And yes, if you want to play 3D PS2 games on the emulator, you need a pretty good CPU for it to run properly.

ZombieKillerXXX

The Dude Abides

Post by ZombieKillerXXX on Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm running the ePSXe emulator on my lab top and it works just fine. That is unfortunately pushing the limits of my lab top. I've tried downloading emulators for the PS2 and GameCube and they will not run on my computer. You have to have a pretty new lab top or computer to run the PCSX2 emulator.

Minimal Specs:
AMD 64 or Intel Pentium 4 (VM Build will not work with non SSE2 CPU's)
512MB of RAM
Pixel Shader 2.0 supporting card

My wife has a newer lab top and I got the PCSX2 emulator to work on her lab top just fine. It was pretty cool playing GTA 3 on the lab top.

If I had a choice I would rather play everything on the counsel it is intended for, but an emulator is nice to have if you don't own a game or counsel for something you want to play.

Mike ;)

SwaggaDeej

On some ghoulish shit

Post by SwaggaDeej on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:00 pm

NarooN can you help me! I downloaded the ePSXe emulator and the bios files and I thought I set it up right but when I tried to play silent hill my laptop went black? After that I deleted it and gave up but if u can help me I'll try agin! :) and I know this post is old, I probably just shoulda messaged u lol
Deej aka SwaggaDeej aka Mr.Gavin aka Tall DG Shanks

Music -- http://www.youtube.com/user/SwaggaDeej

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Nah it's no problem bumping it, I'm more than happy to help.

I'll take some screenshots of my config and post them here.

SwaggaDeej

On some ghoulish shit

Post by SwaggaDeej on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks! I owe u one

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:40 pm

Video plugin: Pete's OpenGL Renderer 2.7

Sound plugin: Eternal SPU 1.50

SwaggaDeej

On some ghoulish shit

Post by SwaggaDeej on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:11 am

Thanks I'l try that! when I download the rom of silent hill I have to convert it to an iso file right?

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:32 am

You might have to, most likely it'll already be ready to go though.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill