Foxhound3857

Pound Puppy

What do you think is the meaning of the air raid sirens?

Post by Foxhound3857 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:29 pm

SilentWren wrote:^ There is a part of me that's curious about what Twin Perfect and Fungo would have to say about the air raid sirens, trick or treat, the announcer from Boreley's Haunted Mansion, etc. But it appears that we've scared them away for a while. Or maybe even for good.

@Liliacatz-I ditto that! All the more open-for-interpretation quirks in the games make them feel more real, don't they?

All we did was ask them questions and requested confirmation on some of their theories and explanations. =/

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:29 pm

^I know. That's why I don't understand their absence. :D

It seems like the silence is even worse than them saying something like "We've spent all the time on this that we want to, and have no further comment."
At least that would be SOMETHING. *hint, hint*

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

hairymason

Sweet sweet lovin'

Post by hairymason on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 pm

personally if I were them, I'd be absent too. If people started trashing my ideas, that's one thing. But when people start trashing each other when it's not even their idea in the first place, I would prolly just lay low for a while so as to let people move on. But that's me, they could be in a warehouse breaking stuff to express their rage, or drinking Zima and crying, either way I don't blame them for going quiet. People got pretty irate, even me, and I'm usually here to be a smart ass. :twisted:
No more questions! We have Rosemary!

TraceBASS

Once A Metal Man, Still Eating Stars

Post by TraceBASS on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:16 am

hairymason wrote:personally if I were them, I'd be absent too. If people started trashing my ideas, that's one thing. But when people start trashing each other when it's not even their idea in the first place, I would prolly just lay low for a while so as to let people move on. But that's me, they could be in a warehouse breaking stuff to express their rage, or drinking Zima and crying, either way I don't blame them for going quiet. People got pretty irate, even me, and I'm usually here to be a smart ass. :twisted:

And that's why we value here on SHC, hairymason :D your ideas, and how you make me feel less left out :mrgreen: I really can't add anything without repeating stuff already said...Immah just stick with my idea that's the siren was simply for atmosphere, and go shoot some cockroaches :twisted:
I don't get mad; I get even - which isn't normal, for someone as odd as me.

~ TraceBASS

Wooten

Post by Wooten on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:32 am

They're never really identified as air-raid sirens. It's been said that the sirens you hear would have been the overwhelming flood of sirens you would have heard the night Silent Hill burned down. This being one of the last things Alessa heard before her body was burned, and then place in a suspended state by her mother. Seeing that mostly everything else in Silent Hill are representations of Alessa's fears from childhood, it'd be easy to suggest that the drone of distant sirens would be something that would plague her nightmares. I think it carried over to the other games simply because it's easy to associate that sound with things turning south for you, and it's just good sound design.
STUFF GETS RUSTY. ALL DOORS ARE LOCKED!

monkeyme5

Ooh Boomer its forbidden..

Post by monkeyme5 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:22 pm

its an old Fire drill ringing in the background as its not only snow falling in SH but also ash! and its manifested by Alessa due to her memorys of the fire way back in the day :twisted: ... you prob dont hear them in three or four due to Alessa's spirit been overcome with new memorys from Heather!!!
someday you will find me - caught beneath the landslide...

TraceBASS

Once A Metal Man, Still Eating Stars

Post by TraceBASS on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:05 pm

monkeyme5 wrote:its an old Fire drill ringing in the background as its not only snow falling in SH but also ash! and its manifested by Alessa due to her memorys of the fire way back in the day :twisted: ... you prob dont hear them in three or four due to Alessa's spirit been overcome with new memorys from Heather!!!

Not sure if that exactly sounds like a fire drill to me, but it's a good idea.
And yeah, the reason we don't hear it in Silent Hill 4: The Room is because it's a whole new story, with whole new characters, and entirely different themes.
I don't get mad; I get even - which isn't normal, for someone as odd as me.

~ TraceBASS

monkeyme5

Post by monkeyme5 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:07 pm

I think it! - its prob pre 50s era - remember! (haha like you was there!) the wind up ones done by hand - also used in world wars to alert people of iminent BOMBING :twisted:

Wooten

Post by Wooten on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:33 pm

monkeyme5 wrote:its an old Fire drill ringing in the background as its not only snow falling in SH but also ash! and its manifested by Alessa due to her memorys of the fire way back in the day :twisted: ... you prob dont hear them in three or four due to Alessa's spirit been overcome with new memorys from Heather!!!

Okay, but the ash falling wasn't introduced until the movie, which I'm pretty sure isn't canon with the game series. In the games it's supposedly just snow (with a mention that it might also be White Claudia) But just snow again for James in SH2.
And I could swear those sirens are in 3. But anything that doesn't add up in 4 when you compare it to the other games can be argued with "Silent Hill 4 wasn't supposed to be Silent Hill 4"
STUFF GETS RUSTY. ALL DOORS ARE LOCKED!

monkeyme5

Post by monkeyme5 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:04 pm

Wooten wrote:

Okay, but the ash falling wasn't introduced until the movie, which I'm pretty sure isn't canon with the game series. In the games it's supposedly just snow (with a mention that it might also be White Claudia) But just snow again for James in SH2.
And I could swear those sirens are in 3. But anything that doesn't add up in 4 when you compare it to the other games can be argued with "Silent Hill 4 wasn't supposed to be Silent Hill 4"
The ash falling is canon! - SH Origins - at the beginning - one of Travis's first lines of dialogue in the game - '' not fog, smoke '' - the original fire that started it all burnt into Alessa's memory to carry on through the series up until SH2 ... Also probably the main reason the fog/smoke shroud has never lifted! - which is why even though the sound of the sirens ceased in three the fog/smoke would still be there! 8-) ... Also adding to the concept of using falling ash take a look at a few vids on SH1 gameplay - Ive looked and nowhere on the paths roads or buildings can you see piles or drifts of snow of any kind (of which theres only one 8-) )..... You fight a big flippin moth on top of a roof! which has no snow on it - You step out of the diner after speaking with Cybil - and theres no snow out there... Where do people get this snow idea from - the only SH game I ever saw true snow in was SHSM!

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:03 am

Wait....there wasn't any snow in SH 2, just fog.

Horrorspieler

Silent Hill Fetisch

Post by Horrorspieler on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:45 pm

The siren is for telling that the reality changes.
I can't figure out why pyramid head leaves then.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:25 pm

I think this thread has to do with the sirens in Silent Hill 1. They seem to spill over into 2 like the cockroaches and such. There were air raid drills in schools when Alessa attended school. That might have something to do with it.

crewsjp8

Post by crewsjp8 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:02 pm

Well, I have a theory, the Silent Hill town is supposedly based on a ghost town in Central, Pennsylvania. The town was abandoned due to a coal fire in 1962.
Now, coal mines had an emergency siren call that they used when the mine was in danger and if you've ever heard one, the sound varies, but most sound exactly like the ones in the game. My speculation is that the ash is from a coal fire that happened in silent hill, and the sirens are from the coal mine.
I've thought about this for a while but wasn't sure if there was a mention of a coal fire in silent hill (except in the movie), but based on the town silent hill is based off of, it makes sense to me.

Anyways, this is just a theory and I hope it's helpful.

EDIT: I think the town might have been for the inspiration of the film (not the game). It might have been the game though, i'm not sure.

asim1999

Post by asim1999 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:00 pm

crewsjp8 wrote:Well, I have a theory, the Silent Hill town is supposedly based on a ghost town in Central, Pennsylvania. The town was abandoned due to a coal fire in 1962.
Now, coal mines had an emergency siren call that they used when the mine was in danger and if you've ever heard one, the sound varies, but most sound exactly like the ones in the game. My speculation is that the ash is from a coal fire that happened in silent hill, and the sirens are from the coal mine.
I've thought about this for a while but wasn't sure if there was a mention of a coal fire in silent hill (except in the movie), but based on the town silent hill is based off of, it makes sense to me.

EDIT: I think the town might have been for the inspiration of the film (not the game). It might have been the game though, i'm not sure.

'True. Coal mining was huge in the UK back in that time and the games do use a British WW2 siren

asim1999

Post by asim1999 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Otherworld wrote:I think this thread has to do with the sirens in Silent Hill 1. They seem to spill over into 2 like the cockroaches and such. There were air raid drills in schools when Alessa attended school. That might have something to do with it.

]that is true. But if silent hill is an American town, why did they use British sirens in the games, just curious as I am a silent hill fan and from the UK

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:48 pm

asim1999 wrote:
Otherworld wrote:I think this thread has to do with the sirens in Silent Hill 1. They seem to spill over into 2 like the cockroaches and such. There were air raid drills in schools when Alessa attended school. That might have something to do with it.

]that is true. But if silent hill is an American town, why did they use British sirens in the games, just curious as I am a silent hill fan and from the UK

Welcome to the forum, asim1999!
I think of all the sounds they could of used (It wouldn't work as well with an emergency vehicles siren) the Silent Hill siren taps into the historical associations with the player who know to link it with the massive World War.

Why the town itself uses that type of siren, I don't know. But above was just my thought of what the developers wanted the game to have. Even though in the original 1999 game it's mainly a bell ringing constantly the player hears instead of the air raid siren. Oohfakanorus(1974)

EDIT: Would it still work if they used Jaws music instead of the siren? No... Just thought about it. But the principle seems the same.
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:00 pm

^ Agreed, they make things feel "surreal" for lack of a better term.

LisaGarland

Post by LisaGarland on Wed May 17, 2017 6:26 am

crewsjp8 wrote:Well, I have a theory, the Silent Hill town is supposedly based on a ghost town in Central, Pennsylvania. The town was abandoned due to a coal fire in 1962.

I really am trying not to sound too harsh here (this is by no means aimed at you crewsjp8, I'm just generalizing) - but I love how most modern or newer SH fans presume this is the case (as goes for several ''SH Fact'' videos on Youtube.
The first movie was based on what you have just explained - the games were totally different.
(The director of the movie really messed things around and caused confusion to fans and even modern SH developers)

SH1 has falling snow - not ash.
Remember what kaufmann says "And its snowing out. This time of year"
There was no coal fire - Alessa burning was accidental (not part of a ritual) Again, a file in SH1 states so.
SH is set in Maine, New England.. (referencing Stephen King novels mainly - and it makes sense - the main road in town is Bachman Rd - King's pen-name)
As far as I recall - several official game manuals also state SH is set in Maine.

Sorry for going slightly off topic there..
In terms of the sirens in SH1 - they really aren't explained at all.. and that added to the curiosity and horror of the unknown (something SH is known for)
The moment you start to add reason behind it - it loses its mystique and becomes less horrifying IMO

SH Origins tried to give explaination to both the fog and siren (for Origins and SH1) and it does make sense - but kinda ruins the creepiness I guess.
The 'fog' is the smoke from the house fire - and the siren is the approaching ambulance/fire sirens coming to help
(You can here them, and then it alters into the Air Raid siren before Travis blacks out)
"I won't tell a soul. Promise. So please...."

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 am

I quite like the fact that there was no real explanation also. I don't think there ever has to be one.

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill