Foxhound3857

Pound Puppy

What do you think is the meaning of the air raid sirens?

Post by Foxhound3857 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:44 pm

The ones that Harry hears whenever he transitions from the foggy world to the nightmare and back. He only mentions them once and there's really nothing else on them in the game.

My theory is that they are something that Alessa remembers from her past. I'm thinking that they were one of the last things she heard during/after the cult ritual, being used to warn the town of the nearby fire in the Gillespie house, the one that resulted in Alessa's burns and the subsequent razing of five other houses in that district. I'm thinking it was used as a tool for evacuation and one of the last things that Alessa heard in her past, and that's why they're in the game and Harry hears them.

Though this wouldn't explain why James hears them. Thoughts?

Princess Kenny

The fairest princess in all the land.

Post by Princess Kenny on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:10 pm

I always thought it was just something that was influenced from the film Jacob's Ladder because one scene involves the exact same siren.
As for a deep meaning. I always kind of thought it could be something to with the sirens of an ambulance or a
fire engine that would of come when the fire spread. But I most likely wrong.
The user formally known as Walter White. Also formally formally known as OneFreeMan.

Borsuk2

NERD

Post by Borsuk2 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:16 am

It could be also the horn of the crashed car (BAD ending)
SH is in me....

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:03 am

I always thought they were just a part of the otherworld, along with the buildings and trees. I thought they went off just cause...were there any sirens in the third game?
Now that I'm thinking about it, this is a subject I should've given more attention to.

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG, DESMOND HUME WILL BE MY CONSTANT

Foxhound3857

Pound Puppy

Post by Foxhound3857 on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:45 pm

SilentWren wrote:I always thought they were just a part of the otherworld, along with the buildings and trees. I thought they went off just cause...were there any sirens in the third game?
Now that I'm thinking about it, this is a subject I should've given more attention to.

I could play it again for you if you want (I've literally beaten the game well over 50 times), but I'm pretty sure there were no sirens in SH3 or 4.

As well, even though there were sirens in SH2, I'm not entirely sure James ever heard them, since he makes no mention of them. They may have been added simply for nostalgia to the player and may not carry any relevance to the character.

TraceBASS

Once A Metal Man, Still Eating Stars

Post by TraceBASS on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:47 am

I have a feeling that maybe the sirens don't have a specific meaning. It just seems to me that they give the games more atmosphere.

It might have had a specific and easier to understand meaning, had it been used in only the first game. Unfortunately, this is also heard in SH2, so the only idea I can come up with is feel. Its just one of those things that are cool, yet hard to understand. A lot like Silent Hill itself :D
I don't get mad; I get even - which isn't normal, for someone as odd as me.

~ TraceBASS

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:27 pm

As far as the first game goes, Harry heard them during the transitions, right?

So it's almost kinda like Trick or Treat and Borley's Haunted Mansion in the sense that it was a tiny instance of the town displaying consciousness.
Kinda small stuff, though. I'm not saying the town is sentient or anything. I'm sure all of that was just comic relief/atmosphere.
But with a game series as symbolic as this one is, they should've expected us to break it down. :)

Foxhound3857

Pound Puppy

Post by Foxhound3857 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:43 pm

MetalManS72 wrote:I have a feeling that maybe the sirens don't have a specific meaning. It just seems to me that they give the games more atmosphere.

It might have had a specific and easier to understand meaning, had it been used in only the first game. Unfortunately, this is also heard in SH2, so the only idea I can come up with is feel. Its just one of those things that are cool, yet hard to understand. A lot like Silent Hill itself :D

But Harry specifically heard the sirens in SH1 and even mentions them in a discussion with Cybil, when they meet in the antique shop.

Harry: I'm not quite sure. I try to make sense of it, but then my mind goes blank. Everything is dark there, and I hear sirens in the distance.

That suggests that the sirens have some sort of significance to Harry, or at least Alessa, since it is her nightmare that Harry is fighting through. The same can't be said for James because although the player hears the sirens in SH2, James makes no mention of them, so it's unlikely they mean anything to him, but Harry definitely hears them, so it's more then an atmospheric element.

Living Corpse

Post by Living Corpse on Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:17 pm

I've heard one theory that one of the last things Alessa heard was the sirens of fire trucks or an ambulance because of her burns before being put on her magical life support. That would explain the siren in SH1.

As for James, well his wife was terminally ill so maybe at one point she collapsed and had to be transported to the hospital via ambulance hence again the siren and also being moved by a gren.. a geren... stupid hospital bed thing I can't spell just like she might have. Plus
REVEAL SPOILER
cops might have been hunting down James so maybe the siren is imprinted on his mind from police sirens

Foxhound3857

Pound Puppy

Post by Foxhound3857 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Living Corpse wrote:As for James, well his wife was terminally ill so maybe at one point she collapsed and had to be transported to the hospital via ambulance hence again the siren and also being moved by a gren.. a geren... stupid hospital bed thing I can't spell just like she might have. Plus
REVEAL SPOILER
cops might have been hunting down James so maybe the siren is imprinted on his mind from police sirens

Now that's a pretty good theory. James never mentions that he hears sirens throughout the game, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't. Nice.

Kacen

Post by Kacen on Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:10 pm

In game explanation is probably the sirens of the fire engines.

Outside, well, in the Mist Novella which inspired the SH games an air raid siren goes off before the fog engulfs the town.

Rusty Hook

Post by Rusty Hook on Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:52 am

i think i read a theory somewhere else before that said valtiel could be causing the siren sound by turning the valves and signaling or causing the shift to the other world.

Borsuk2

NERD

Post by Borsuk2 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:46 am

Living Corpse wrote:
REVEAL SPOILER
Thats reminds me of Lost Highway.... one of the inspiration movies
SH is in me....

GreyChild

Lol yeah.

Post by GreyChild on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:05 am

I always thought it was just in their heads...or MAYBE...just maybe...they were something to add to the game in order for it to warn us of the otherworld, to scare us, and then to make theories about it such as undreds do...that is the crazy thing about team silent...they put things in silent hill that usually have no meaning, for us to then make tons of theories and give it our own meaning.

But this is my theory and opinion.
Be the broken or the breaker. Be the giver or the undertaker.

TraceBASS

Post by TraceBASS on Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:10 am

RoomofAngel wrote:I always thought it was just in their heads...or MAYBE...just maybe...they were something to add to the game in order for it to warn us of the otherworld, to scare us, and then to make theories about it such as undreds do...that is the crazy thing about team silent...they put things in silent hill that usually have no meaning, for us to then make tons of theories and give it our own meaning.

But this is my theory and opinion.

Lol very much what I said :lol: except I said it was probably just for atmosphere...

~ TraceBASS

Lilacatz

Mayor of Silent Hill

Post by Lilacatz on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:54 pm

So, team silent tried to drive us mad. To make us come up with crazy theories of cults and fire.
I also hear, somewhere, that the UFO endings could also be the real endings. Maybe the AIR raid sirens mean that the UFO's are comming! They come to create the other world. o.0
There is always a crazy theory of all that happens in SH.

GreyChild

Lol yeah.

Post by GreyChild on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:54 pm

LOL, yeah I suppose...I wonder if there is tons of more things that people never have seen before in the SH franchise :/
Maybe silent hill isn't really all of that stuff and team silent just made a simple game...MAYBE all of OUR theories is what makes SH so good...ever think of that?
Be the broken or the breaker. Be the giver or the undertaker.

Lilacatz

Mayor of Silent Hill

Post by Lilacatz on Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:23 am

Yes. That's why I love this game. Because of all of OUR theories, the game is awesome. All they did was send a widow and his child to get lost in this insane world. They added a cult and many disturbing details to make this awesome game called SH. It was up to us to make up theories like why this monster is this, and why they did that, etc.

TraceBASS

Post by TraceBASS on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:24 am

Lilacatz wrote:Yes. That's why I love this game. Because of all of OUR theories, the game is awesome. All they did was send a widow and his child to get lost in this insane world. They added a cult and many disturbing details to make this awesome game called SH. It was up to us to make up theories like why this monster is this, and why they did that, etc.

Yes, and then along comes Fungo, Rosseter and that-awesome-guy-whose-name-I-cannot-spell-properly, and they create THE REAL SILENT HILL EXPERIENCE which explains EVERYTHING!!!! :lol:

...Except the topic that we were originally discussing

~ TraceBASS

Wren

^Perpetual Pepper Potts

Post by Wren on Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:50 pm

^ There is a part of me that's curious about what Twin Perfect and Fungo would have to say about the air raid sirens, trick or treat, the announcer from Boreley's Haunted Mansion, etc. But it appears that we've scared them away for a while. Or maybe even for good.

@Liliacatz-I ditto that! All the more open-for-interpretation quirks in the games make them feel more real, don't they?

Next

Return to Silent Hill