Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

What do you think is the meaning of the air raid sirens?

Post by Wilsden Hills on Wed May 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Were they not inspired by some art-theatre production that used the sirens to indicate things were about to get whackier than they'd previously been, and the Team Silent guys simply thought 'they're cool and effective' and decided to use them in the game? Just an added layer of kookiness to further mess with the players already pretty sufficiently scrambled heads? The more I read interviews with the devs from back in the day the less I look for definitive, story-attributable 'reasons' for a lot of the lil bits and pieces in the games, they put things in simply to unsettle us, no further explanation required. The wow factor is how often they got it bang right. Not bad for a bunch of 'underachievers' at the company (though I strongly suspect that the company holds a pretty limited view of what they consider 'achieving'. I'm half-surprised no-one tried to claim credit by saying 'yeah so I threw all these geniuses together knowing they'd come up trumps'.
No-one can judge you baby, they don't live your life....

LisaGarland

Post by LisaGarland on Thu May 18, 2017 5:26 am

Wilsden Hills wrote:Were they not inspired by some art-theatre production that used the sirens to indicate things were about to get whackier than they'd previously been, and the Team Silent guys simply thought 'they're cool and effective' and decided to use them in the game? Just an added layer of kookiness to further mess with the players already pretty sufficiently scrambled heads? The more I read interviews with the devs from back in the day the less I look for definitive, story-attributable 'reasons' for a lot of the lil bits and pieces in the games, they put things in simply to unsettle us, no further explanation required. The wow factor is how often they got it bang right. Not bad for a bunch of 'underachievers' at the company (though I strongly suspect that the company holds a pretty limited view of what they consider 'achieving'. I'm half-surprised no-one tried to claim credit by saying 'yeah so I threw all these geniuses together knowing they'd come up trumps'.

Ahh, yes. I remember seeing the video of this.
It had a creepy bloodied deer suit in it and some crazy lighting effects - it looked very Otherworldly TBH

Not if only I could find the darn video - I think it is mentioned in The Real SH Experience on YT under 'Motifs and Inspirations'.

Seems it was just another random thing afterall - just there to mess with us and was never meant to be answered.
Again, as I said earlier - things are scarier if they are unusual and unknown... lets your imagination run
"I won't tell a soul. Promise. So please...."

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Post by Otherworld on Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 am

I know one thing, when I played that game for the 1st time that sound scared the ever loving shit out of me lol

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Thu May 18, 2017 11:23 am

Otherworld wrote:I quite like the fact that there was no real explanation also. I don't think there ever has to be one.

Job done! I remember thinking 'wtf now????', which illustrates where they'd manipulated my headspace to by that (early) point.

LisaGarland wrote:Seems it was just another random thing afterall - just there to mess with us and was never meant to be answered.
Again, as I said earlier - things are scarier if they are unusual and unknown... lets your imagination run

I'm on a 'see all the endings' mission on 4 at the mo, and it's just chock full of moments like these. I know what to expect in the hospital but without fail every room freaks me the fck out every time. The tentacles growing outta that guys body, that's every kind of wrong, I always feel appalled when I see it. Sure some of the rooms contain Walter-related goings on, but some merely serve to fck you up. I think it nails one of the aspects I so love about the series, their ability to skillfully manipulate you to a very high degree. It's unpleasant in many respects (being so easily manipulated by someone), but you have to doff your cap at the deep intellect required to do it so well. Bastards. :lol:

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu May 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Wilsden Hills wrote:I'm on a 'see all the endings' mission on 4 at the mo, and it's just chock full of moments like these. I know what to expect in the hospital but without fail every room freaks me the fck out every time. The tentacles growing outta that guys body, that's every kind of wrong, I always feel appalled when I see it. Sure some of the rooms contain Walter-related goings on, but some merely serve to fck you up. I think it nails one of the aspects I so love about the series, their ability to skillfully manipulate you to a very high degree. It's unpleasant in many respects (being so easily manipulated by someone), but you have to doff your cap at the deep intellect required to do it so well. Bastards. :lol:

Silent Hill 4 did that to me as soon as I watched the opening movie .... and proceeded to do this the entire play through. It was pretty freaky...

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Thu May 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Haha that video was my very first experience of Silent Hill. Glad I didn't go with my gut reaction to just take the disc out and take it back to CEX :lol:

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Thu May 18, 2017 11:02 pm

Wilsden Hills wrote:Haha that video was my very first experience of Silent Hill. Glad I didn't go with my gut reaction to just take the disc out and take it back to CEX :lol:

What was your gut reaction?

Wilsden Hills

...#*%...!$@#<...

Post by Wilsden Hills on Fri May 19, 2017 5:54 am

It was! I'd never played a horror game before, indeed since about 1996 all I really bothered with was Tomb Raider games and the very occasional other PS2 game. It was only when my son came to live with me about 4 years ago that I rediscovered the joys of the medium, and even then by chance. After a dull but necessary shopping trip I said he could pick a game from CEX for his 360, whilst he was choosing I perused the PS2 section, randomly picked Silent Hill 4, took it home and duly thought WTF? Games are meant to be fun, if I wanted to be rendered shit-scared I'd watch a film or check out the news. It was probably only my sons nattering that made me persevere at all, and even then I only made it as far as the wallmen before realising I was out of my depth and had better start at the very beginning in order to gain some context to what the fck was going on in 4. It was with that background that I entered Silent Hill properly for the first time (thanks to the magnificent PSX PS1 emulator), so you can kinda see why it impressed itself so strongly upon me, 1 in terms of simply being shit-scared but needing to proceed anyway, if only to find out what the hell was actually going on (but never really thinking 'this is great fun!'), and 2 in terms of 'wow games are as equally valid a medium for telling a complex and captivating story whilst messing you up emotionally as the best books, films, art etc. It was a genuine surprise. The intelligence at work in 2, my blubbing for the last half an hour or so (pretty much from room 312 onwards), the realisation that this was an emotional masterpiece on top of being a horror masterpiece, tbh if games don't live up to that standard (so far none have) they'll always be lesser games in my eyes. Bit like once you've seen Rammstein live in concert, any gig, no matter how good for other reasons, that doesn't feature the theatrics and mayhem will always be missing that theatre and mayhem.
And that, sir, is a long answer to a short question :lol:

Otherworld

Post by Otherworld on Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 am

Wilsden Hills wrote:It was! I'd never played a horror game before, indeed since about 1996 all I really bothered with was Tomb Raider games and the very occasional other PS2 game. It was only when my son came to live with me about 4 years ago that I rediscovered the joys of the medium, and even then by chance. After a dull but necessary shopping trip I said he could pick a game from CEX for his 360, whilst he was choosing I perused the PS2 section, randomly picked Silent Hill 4, took it home and duly thought WTF? Games are meant to be fun, if I wanted to be rendered shit-scared I'd watch a film or check out the news. It was probably only my sons nattering that made me persevere at all, and even then I only made it as far as the wallmen before realising I was out of my depth and had better start at the very beginning in order to gain some context to what the fck was going on in 4. It was with that background that I entered Silent Hill properly for the first time (thanks to the magnificent PSX PS1 emulator), so you can kinda see why it impressed itself so strongly upon me, 1 in terms of simply being shit-scared but needing to proceed anyway, if only to find out what the hell was actually going on (but never really thinking 'this is great fun!'), and 2 in terms of 'wow games are as equally valid a medium for telling a complex and captivating story whilst messing you up emotionally as the best books, films, art etc. It was a genuine surprise. The intelligence at work in 2, my blubbing for the last half an hour or so (pretty much from room 312 onwards), the realisation that this was an emotional masterpiece on top of being a horror masterpiece, tbh if games don't live up to that standard (so far none have) they'll always be lesser games in my eyes. Bit like once you've seen Rammstein live in concert, any gig, no matter how good for other reasons, that doesn't feature the theatrics and mayhem will always be missing that theatre and mayhem. And that, sir, is a long answer to a short question :lol:

The length is understood because the question was a lot more complex than its length would suggest.

With that in mind, this really reminds me of me 1st encounter with Silent Hill via Silent Hill 1.Image
I had rented Silent Hill from a video store (showing my age here) and it really changed my view of what video are and what they could be. That box art above really stood out to me. And when I opened the actual game case and the below was staring at me I was like ..... What the fuck is this???Image
I know this picture is small but this what stares at you when you remove the cd from the case.

By the time I got to the backyard on Levin street I knew this was a game this was something I had never experienced before.The 2 videos below really remind me of when I realised that .....

I had played RE and liked it but it never instilled the amount of absolute dread that the sequence above gave me. After all of that running and dodging, thinking I was in the clear when I made it into the house ..... when the it goes all dark and you have to run to Midwhich I instantly knew that I was in for something I had never experienced before.

Previous

Return to Silent Hill