Amon Din

Influence On Mumbler Enemy Design

Post by Amon Din on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:52 pm

As a huge connoisseur of art, particularly abstract art, I have always loved the fact that the monsters from Silent Hill have been based on the works of some of my favorite artists (Bacon, Bosch, Bruegel, Dali, and Goya among others). Their inspirations can be seen in every Silent Hill game since 1. However, the works of Francis Bacon have been the single greatest and most used influence in all of the Silent Hill series; from monster designs to the appearance of the Otherworld locations.

One particularly haunting enemy from the Silent Hill universe is the Mumblers: faceless humanoid creatures about the size of small children wielding butcher knives. I realize that these disturbing creatures were cut from the EU and Australian versions of the game, but they are definitely worth noting, and make the game that much more disturbing.

Anyway, the biggest influence on these disturbing beings seems to come from Francis Bacon's 1961 work, 'Paralytic Child Walking On All Fours' which was inspired by one of Muybridge's Zoopraxiscope slides. I'll let you see for yourselves; both the creature's face and general body shape are very similar to Bacon's painting (especially the in-game model).

The Mumbler Enemy
Bacon's 'Paralytic Child Walking On All Fours'Image

Just for your reference, below is a link to a site that has the Zoopraxiscopic slide movie that influenced the painting:

Paralytic Child Walking On All Fours

k0n0k0

Marturos

Post by k0n0k0 on Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:04 pm

Francis Bacon works are amazing no doubt... :D

DerWilleZurMacht

Post by DerWilleZurMacht on Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:40 am

once i saw an exibition of his paintings, on a school tour... talk about violent schools...lol

i found his work very cool although agressive. almost all of them reminded me of SH.

just google it on images and you'll see...

another guy that we should consider as an inspiration could be Hieronymus Bosh...

Amon Din

Post by Amon Din on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:16 pm

DerWilleZurMacht wrote:another guy that we should consider as an inspiration could be Hieronymus Bosh...

Most definitely. Hieronymus Bosch is considered by many to be the forefather of modern impressionist art. His works have also been used extensively by the Silent Hill staff in monster design concepts. Two popular monsters that were taken directly from Bosch are Silent Hill 3's Numb Bodies and Insane Cancers (Insane Cancers are also heavily influenced by Bacon as well) Prototypes for these hellish creatures both appear in Bosch's seminal work, 'The Garden of Earthly Delights', from the 'Hell' panel or right panel of that amazing triptych.

Example:

Prototype For the Numb Body:

Prototype For the Insane Cancer:

One can clearly see the artist's influence on the games designers. In the future, I plan to post both a Silent Hill look-alike thread and a Silent Hill Monster Inspiration thread.

Btw, be sure to check the link to Muybridge's original film posted at the bottom of the original post. It's very disturbing, though. And you have a keen eye, DerWilleZurMacht. :D

Justin Case

Post by Justin Case on Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:31 pm

That's awesome. I can clearly see the origins of the numb body and insane cancer designs in Bosch's work. And that Bacon painting DOES look like the in game mumblers. The painting is actually creepier. Nice finds.

Amon Din

Post by Amon Din on Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Here you can see this creature (titled Child #2) that looks much closer to the in-game Mumbler enemies than the green thing. Compare this creature to Bacon's painting above.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:03 pm

Amon Din wrote:As a huge connoisseur of art, particularly abstract art, I have always loved the fact that the monsters from Silent Hill have been based on the works of some of my favorite artists (Bacon, Bosch, Bruegel, Dali, and Goya among others). Their inspirations can be seen in every Silent Hill game since 1. However, the works of Francis Bacon have been the single greatest and most used influence in all of the Silent Hill series; from monster designs to the appearance of the Otherworld locations.

One particularly haunting enemy from the Silent Hill universe is the Mumblers: faceless humanoid creatures about the size of small children wielding butcher knives. I realize that these disturbing creatures were cut from the EU and Australian versions of the game, but they are definitely worth noting, and make the game that much more disturbing.

Anyway, the biggest influence on these disturbing beings seems to come from Francis Bacon's 1961 work, 'Paralytic Child Walking On All Fours' which was inspired by one of Muybridge's Zoopraxiscope slides. I'll let you see for yourselves; both the creature's face and general body shape are very similar to Bacon's painting (especially the in-game model).

The Mumbler Enemy

Bacon's 'Paralytic Child Walking On All Fours'

Just for your reference, below is a link to a site that has the Zoopraxiscopic slide movie that influenced the painting:

Paralytic Child Walking On All Fours (Link: http://web.archive.org/web/201007161759 ... index.html )
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Fungo

Silent Hill Media Master

Post by Fungo on Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Honestly, I don't see a similarity besides a raised knee. Also, the object of the painting has feet for hands, and is on all fours. The only creature that walks (or "leaps") on fours is the romper.

Although I do like the art and the concept looks very disturbing. Ito's original artwork and design is no doubt inspired by Francis Bacon, as he himself stated he was influenced by Bacon, but I love Ito's artwork so much more.

His gallery:
http://www.geocities.jp/nobu_hill/gallery.html

My favorites: Image

I want a full-size painting of this: Image
Although it was made for a Kiba card, I believe.
The Greatest Time is now!

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Post by Xuchilbara on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:07 pm

There is def a influence on SH but I do not recall where. (that picture I mean.) I just got introduced to Bacon, but I love the surreal art of Dali and Fuco Ueda. I also heart Goya, specifically his Chronos picture.

Some of those must be new. I know he did some art for MGS and the SH movie recently. The movie looks Dune inspired more so.(Didn't he say he loved the Dune series?)
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:51 am

Reminds me more of a Raw Shock.

Fungo wrote:Although I do like the art and the concept looks very disturbing. Ito's original artwork and design is no doubt inspired by Francis Bacon, as he himself stated he was influenced by Bacon, but I love Ito's artwork so much more.

Agreed.
ImageImageImage

Vestige

Post by Vestige on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:29 pm

Oh! seen that image of the kid walking on fours before somewhere... not sure but worth to mention this maybe also inspired how Mowgli walks in the Jungle Book 8-) (no evidence... i'm just saying :oops:)

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:32 pm

I mean Mogli imitating the elephants... haha!

I'm curious about the artistic influence upon SH games, specially when playing SH3. Maybe a mix of european artists with some japanese references, still got no time to investigate. Usually artists done things that is crazy at the time and used and abused 50 years later, like minimalism. I'm curious about a game called Borderlines that seams based on Moebius work.

Vestige

Post by Vestige on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Here's about the art inspirations behind SH 1, 2 and 3 :).
http://www.silenthillmemories.net/lost_memories/guide/136_en.htm

On the menu to the left by the bottom you can check other kinds of inspirations, from literature, films, etc. Hope it's what you were looking for.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:04 pm

Yes! Surrealism explains a lot... Thanks!

TheGr8MC

Such indescribable abstract magnificence

Post by TheGr8MC on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:24 pm

Thanks for the link. I knew Masahiro Ito did art outside of Silent Hill but I could never find any online galleries. I just find something aesthetically attractive and beautiful about abstract art such as Ito's and Francis Bacon's.
Eye am here and yet Eye am not
Eye am cold and yet Eye am hot
Eye am healthy and yet Eye rot
Eye have it all and yet all Eye've got
is nothing but an empty lot

Return to Silent Hill