Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Nowhere

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:51 am

LisaGarland wrote:The abyss mentioned in the memo of SH2 isn't meant to be taken literally. Its a metaphor for whats inside James's mind.
(much like the Doctor's Note in Brookhaven is a projection of James's mind trying to validate his delusion - it isn't an actual letter - much like how Mary's Letter was manifested from James's brain too)
Lets look at the Director's Memo and his note together as one piece (since the wrench memo is a continuation)
I edited out most of the memo to only contain the key parts that are of any use.

"He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across
the abyss is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
The truth can only be learned
by marching forward.
"Or perhaps you are a fool.
The truth usually betrays people.
A part of that abyss is
in the old society.
I also saw that thing.
I fled, but the museum
was sealed as well.
Now no one dares to
approach that place.
If you do not wish to stop,
James,
I pray to the Lord to have
mercy on your eternal soul."

Now, if this was a ''real'' Director leaving a note - how does he even know James name? They have never met.
It shows that the memo is a projection from James subconscious - much like the Abyss is also a projection.

This memo again, is James subconscious trying to stop him from finding out the truth. At first, it sounds promising - advising him where to go next.
However the second half seems to want to deter him - warning him to stay away.
I see this as James's inner conflict - between finding the truth, and wanting to live his delusion where Mary is alive.

The prison sections screwy design shows James in turmoil - falling deeper and deeper into the Abyss which lies within himself.. as we know - the Otherworld is actually inside someone's subconscious until it is manifested by the powers of the town.
So the ''Director's'' note is actually talking about James looking inside himself to discover the truth.

I agree with all that is mentioned above, but there is a literal take on James' diving into the "abyss" as well. The abyss represents both James' subconscious mind and the actual holes he drops into by that fact that he has to physically drop down seemingly bottomless black holes to continue his journey.

The literal, and the subconscious aspects of both go hand in hand here...

He physically drops down 4-5 seemingly bottomless black holes which represent how deep he has to dive into he own subconscious to realise the truth about himself ....

The fact that James came to Silent Hill to take his own life and that one of the holes is what is seen below actually spells that out pretty well...

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Nowhere

Post by Xuchilbara on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:23 pm

The 'abyss' is literal and metaphorical. Whatever is in that lake has caused entire boats of people to mysteriously disappear, and the fact that 'A part of that abyss is in the old society.' gives it an objective slant which means it is not limited to James and is probably a set location. (Memos dictate many people go missing on the lake. It implies it has to do with the abyss/other world.) What one sees there is probably the subjective part, obviously, James has an abyss in his heart, too. Perhaps, this 'abyss' broke open due to the dark thoughts of prisoners?
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Nowhere

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Not to mention the fact that the Historical Society is right against the shores of Toluca Lake ....

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Nowhere

Post by PinentidHead on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Parvatii wrote:The 'abyss' is literal and metaphorical. Whatever is in that lake has caused entire boats of people to mysteriously disappear, and the fact that 'A part of that abyss is in the old society.' gives it an objective slant which means it is not limited to James and is probably a set location. (Memos dictate many people go missing on the lake. It implies it has to do with the abyss/other world.) What one sees there is probably the subjective part, obviously, James has an abyss in his heart, too. Perhaps, this 'abyss' broke open due to the dark thoughts of prisoners?

I think those tragedies and the prison, as other historical elements, exists to justify the existence of the power of Silent Hill, and the source based on "bad fluids" accumulating during centuries by lost souls. A dark based power.

Mercury

Nowhere

Post by Mercury on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:45 pm

"Nowhere" is kind of misleading. The official name in Japanese is "Unknown". It's a part of the Otherworld, but it's not a place that actually exists or can be revisited.

I haven't poured through all the materials yet, but if I had to guess, I'd wager that it's possible for a place like it to exist under different circumstances, but none of them would be truly connected. Meaning that the odd locations in 1, 2, 3, and 4 would all be independent of one another. I haven't seen any confirmation on that one way or the other yet though.
ya fuckin rite

Previous

Return to Silent Hill