AlchemillaHsospital

About the post-KCET games...

All topics that don't fit elsewhere, or about the series in general.
rodox_head

About the post-KCET games...

Post by rodox_head »

If we're being completely honest, you'd be hard-pressed to find a sizeable group of people (outside the forum at least) who talk highly about them. Silent Hills 1 through 4 all come off as fully realized games on their own merits, but everything after that is considered faulty, rife with technical/development issues or heavily criticized story-lines. I've come to look at them all with an equal and open mind, though (0rigins fanatic here :wave: ), so I have two questions:

1. Do you think the post-KCET games deserve a second chance? Be it game, film, or any other medium.
2. Do you realistically think there would be a possibility that they could get a second chance?

My answers would be:
1. Yes. I would totally watch an adaptation based on Travis, Murphy, or Shattered Memories, or even a full fledged remake to iron out the flaws that they originally had.
2. No. If 1 got passed over for a remake, then I wouldn't count on it. Even that aside, I have even more doubts that the (notoriously picky) fanbase would give it a chance. I seriously saw someone have their doubts on Bloober Team's skills because they were Eastern European like Vatra Games was :roll: .
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Norus_Rebirthed

Re: About the post-KCET games...

Post by Norus_Rebirthed »

1. A lot of the games did some good things and were (and still are) entertaining games to play.
2. I think the "You failed!" and giving the game to another company was obviously counterproductive.
Your career is set in stone and will be based on your first customer interaction/first thing made on your shift etc. Now working doesn't work like that! You develop. You learn from your mistakes and develop the skills.
Sadly, not in Konami's world! I'd have loved Double Helix to have been given a second bite of the cherry.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

Good thread.

1. Do you think the post-KCET games deserve a second chance? Be it game, film, or any other medium.

I'd give all of them a second chance if Konami would not end up sabotaging them with their unrealistic expectations and requirements. I am 100% sure that every Dev that has worked on this franchise genuinely loves it. So I believe if they were given the correct amount of time and budget to put together a Silent Hill entry it would have been a really good game.

2. Do you realistically think there would be a possibility that they could get a second chance?

Not with Konami at the helm. I mean they skipped over an SH1 remake and went to SH2 because of the potential $$$. Nothing else.

Look what they did to the HD collection—ruining the most polished games in the series.

I'm going to town either way.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

At some point Konami needs to start Silent Hill from a fresh slate. Modernize Silent Hill for a new generation of fans.

In my opinion, the only ones that makes sense to get second chances are the first two games. The first two games got Greatest Hits labels in North America. The others didn't sell enough to warrant second chances.

I think the only way a post-KCET game got a second chance is if a movie studio was able to succeed in pitching to Konami an adaptation of one of the games. Gans will likely not be making another movie that soon after "Return to Silent Hill."

I believe Konami is starting with SH2 Remake because of how the new movie's plot is an adaptation of the second game. If someone saw the movie and wanted to play one of the games, it would make sense to introduce them to the game that the movie was based on. It's really early to tell if they passed over the first game for a remake for purely monetary reasons.
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I've generally still been able to find some enjoyment in the post Team Silent games, but I have to say I'm rather narky about Homecoming over how it plays. The combat in that one is pretty bad. The story isn't terrible, though.

Downpour I felt was a bit bland and had slow loading speeds, but it still resembled much of what the series represents with you going into different buildings and solving puzzles. So yeah. It wasn't amazing, but this is what happens when you just don't have the budget to make a better game.

Even with Origins, it still felt like Silent Hill titles from before. I thought it was very similar to the other games. But I remember seeing the early concept screenshots though, and was thinking it might not be that good, because it looked as if they wanted to copy the style of RE4, which was relatively new and considered innovative. But I'm glad they changed all of that. But as for being a prequel, it's kind of like Resident Evil Zero in that it's a bit on the mediocre side. Passable stuff, but not excellent by any means.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

combat's been bad in every game lol. but people value different parts of the games, i value the stories and the visuals more than the combat. i find good and bad points in all the games
Annin_Tofu

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I don't really mind the combat. The guns in RE games now for example feel weak. I think that's possibly on purpose, as Ethan isn't supposed to be macho. But a gun is a gun. :(

The guns aren't supposed to be weak. It's the character.