Forum to read news and post comments/questions about the Community.

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Why are we still here?

Post by PinentidHead on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:24 am

I didn't have much time to participate for the past months. Meanwhile, I got a job that involves Facebook, so I had to be a facebooker - no choice. My own profile was dead, now I post once a week or more. And I discovered that I use this community with more frequency - a lot more. But it makes sense, since this is an old fashion community tool, talking about a game series that has some age already. However, I'm not really in the average age here, I see so many young guys and even some children… what this people are doing here instead of posting their pets and selfs in Facebook?

What are you doing here?

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Why are we still here?

Post by Naroon on Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:54 pm

Welp I never really liked facebook or any of the other faddish social media tools, so there's that. And this is the main Silent Hill fan-board that I come to, so that's why I'm here.

Gauss

Why are we still here?

Post by Gauss on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:40 pm

I am not here as often as I used to be due to graduate school and my research on online education and social media. I still enjoy this board because it is not connected to my professional identity - that is, the folks I have discussions with here are, for the most part, not friends with me on Facebook (some are of course).
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city

Meltdown

Why are we still here?

Post by Meltdown on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:53 pm

I like the community here, and I always love talking about Silent Hill. I'm nowhere near as active on forums as I was during my high school days, and really, SHC is the only site I check in on at all anymore. I've got my Twitter and Facebook and such, but there is always a presumption that people are trying to keep up a specific appearance on social media. That doesn't apply to a board like SHC, which is more anonymous by design.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!

Silenthill4life

Why are we still here?

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:01 am

I can't answer this since I just joined lol :cry:

But I've loved SH for almost 6-7 years very deeply. I was captivated by this unique world filled with punishment/redemption and the occult/paranormal being the judge. I also loved the music/soundtracks and the history of the town/role of the order. I loved how all these elements fused to create this rich world. Above all SH has provided me with comfort in dark times (ironically)
Last edited by Silenthill4life on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:24 am.

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Why are we still here?

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:32 am

I started out on a forum/site called Restless Dream in 2005 when SH4 was still new. The admin, Mike, decided he didn't like SH anymore. I was a mod and I took over the website to save it, but he ended up deleting it anyways. I met Brandon, owner of the Silent Hill Fever site through Mike the owner of RD and I was already on SHHF. When I spent time with Mike I also met through Brandon, Fungo who owned the site that is still up Silent Hill Media.

Fungo's site had a forum called Silent Hill Talk and I fumbled my way onto that site through the networking I did. Since RD had gone down in December of 2005, I had found to sign up on SHT in February of 2006 as Xuchilbara, the red god. (Some of my old friends from SHT still call me that.) SHT was my home for years and years. I got to know everyone on the little forum and even through the drama, I stayed.

Later on, before the release of Twin Perfect's docu-drama about Silent Hill, which we had on SHT known about for years, Fungo decided he didn't want the site anymore after pretty much abandoning it. So, he turned/merged it with John's/Amy's site and out of all the old people I am the only one from SHT who stayed through all the drama and remains an active member. Every once and awhile old members pop up and say something, but they all high tailed it for their own reasons. There was a lot of drama so people have their own personal reasons for not being active here anymore which I understand. I was never involved as deeply as other people, I just have shrugged it off over the years. Now I get along with pretty much everyone! :pirate:

I color coded it so people could keep up with what I was talking about! :mrgreen:
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

Silenthill4life

Why are we still here?

Post by Silenthill4life on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:02 am

Purramid_Head wrote:I started out on a forum/site called Restless Dream in 2005 when SH4 was still new. The admin, Mike, decided he didn't like SH anymore. I was a mod and I took over the website to save it, but he ended up deleting it anyways. I met Brandon, owner of the Silent Hill Fever site through Mike the owner of RD and I was already on SHHF. When I spent time with Mike I also met through Brandon, Fungo who owned the site that is still up Silent Hill Media.

Fungo's site had a forum called Silent Hill Talk and I fumbled my way onto that site through the networking I did. Since RD had gone down in December of 2005, I had found to sign up on SHT in February of 2006 as Xuchilbara, the red god. (Some of my old friends from SHT still call me that.) SHT was my home for years and years. I got to know everyone on the little forum and even through the drama, I stayed.

Later on, before the release of Twin Perfect's docu-drama about Silent Hill, which we had on SHT known about for years, Fungo decided he didn't want the site anymore after pretty much abandoning it. So, he turned/merged it with John's/Amy's site and out of all the old people I am the only one from SHT who stayed through all the drama and remains an active member. Every once and awhile old members pop up and say something, but they all high tailed it for their own reasons. There was a lot of drama so people have their own personal reasons for not being active here anymore which I understand. I was never involved as deeply as other people, I just have shrugged it off over the years. Now I get along with pretty much everyone! :pirate:

I color coded it so people could keep up with what I was talking about! :mrgreen:

Wow you are the living, breathing SH encyclopedia.
That was a really cool post bro!

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Why are we still here?

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:24 am

Thank you, but there are others who have been around longer than me. ERROR and Nur have been around since 1999, I think What may have been around then too.

I didn't start out as a living encyclopedia of SH, I spent years studying, debating, and a bunch of other things. In short, it was a lot of refining and I was wrong about some things, but I learned better. :)

Meltdown

Why are we still here?

Post by Meltdown on Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:09 am

Purramid_Head wrote:Thank you, but there are others who have been around longer than me. ERROR and Nur have been around since 1999, I think What may have been around then too.

I didn't start out as a living encyclopedia of SH, I spent years studying, debating, and a bunch of other things. In short, it was a lot of refining and I was wrong about some things, but I learned better. :)

Didn't Nur have her own SH forum for awhile? I started out on another SH forum, and I was pretty sure it was hers. I only joined SHC after it was taken offline.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Why are we still here?

Post by Otherworld on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:07 am

I am not part of any social media whatsoever. It is something that I have consciously kept away from. I have read a lot of discussions on a good chunk of SH sites but never had the urge to sign up until I found this site. I have been a huge fan of this franchise since the release of SH1. Shitty thing is there are not many people I have found that I could have a face to face conversation with as far as this franchise is concerned.

Sometimes people don't really understand why I like the series in the first place.......

I feel lucky to have found this site as I have learned a lot here. And I continue to. I have a ton of respect for the people that post here because of the way facts are expressed and backed up. Plus if someone starts talking about how their own "theory" is actual "fact" it gets squashed pretty quick.

I appreciate that "no nonsense" approach. It is one of the many reasons why I am not part of any social media sites in the 1st place .......

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Why are we still here?

Post by Xuchilbara on Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:51 pm

Meltdown wrote:
Purramid_Head wrote:Thank you, but there are others who have been around longer than me. ERROR and Nur have been around since 1999, I think What may have been around then too.

Didn't Nur have her own SH forum for awhile? I started out on another SH forum, and I was pretty sure it was hers. I only joined SHC after it was taken offline.

Yeah I was on there too, but I really wasn't active. That's what I meant in the other post about the merging.

PinentidHead

Why are we still here?

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:09 pm

I was monitoring this thread, it was empty and suddenly flood with interesting posts! I guess one of main reasons to people stay here instead of Facebook or other newer social media is the kind of avatar. I feel that I can be myself here more than at Facebook. It's really a complex situation that creates the gravity that keep us orbiting.

Also I'm afraid ERROR was already here when the settlets came from Europe...

devil hunter

Ghost

Why are we still here?

Post by devil hunter on Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Well, there's a new SH game coming out.

I guess I'm here because I love some of you guys a lot.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Why are we still here?

Post by Alistair on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:18 pm

I feel the same way about Facebook as Heather does. The same applies for all other social media fads.
This place however, is like heaven to me. I've been following it since late '08 and have frequently visited since then. I love discussing the games and seeing how other people feel about them. I am a Silent Hill fan and most importantly a gamer.
I love visiting forums to discuss my favorite games with people and this is probably my most-visited gaming site and has been for a very long time now.
Also, Facebook is kind of useless when you have no friends. :(

PinentidHead

Why are we still here?

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:06 pm

Sophia: what do you mean by heaving no friends (and a sad face)?

Lord Zachariah

Bara Man

Why are we still here?

Post by Lord Zachariah on Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:33 pm

I'm not HUGE on social media and the only site I really use is Tumblr and thats mainly just to find funny stuff.

I can relate very much to you, Sophia.

But, yeah, the main reason I'm here is because I LOVE meeting and talking to other fans of the series, since none of the people I know irl even know what it is beside my longwinded praises.
Heather is my spirit animal, and Alessa is my Stand.

Alistair

Swooping Is Bad!

Why are we still here?

Post by Alistair on Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:13 pm

PinentidHead wrote:Sophia: what do you mean by heaving no friends (and a sad face)?

I mean exactly what I said. I have no friends. Sad, but true.
Even if I did have some, I'd prefer a good old-fashioned phone call over using Facebook.
This forum on the other hand is a great place to discuss one of my favorite franchises with people who are just as passionate about it as I am. That's why I love it here. It's really the only gaming site that I actively participate in.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Why are we still here?

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:49 am

People have mentioned me, I guess I'd better reply. Didn't see this topic before.

Let's see. I started my first SH site on angelfire in 1999, called White Claudia's SH Site (later Valtiel's Silent Hill site, later Alchemilla Hospital). I had a proboards forum for a while, and then hosted my forum on my own site (circleofdestriction) for a while. Also hung around a lot on the old shf co.uk site and SHT, before merging my forum with John's (this place here), and since he didn't have a lot of time for it, now I'm the owner of the domain here. So I come here not just because I own the place now, but because I like the place and the people.

Since OP brought up Facebook, I'm there too, but I often wonder if I'm only there to do fanpages, like the page I do for AlchemillaHospital.net and to keep up on news to discuss here. I dunno. I do think the quality of discussion on forums tends to be better and more in-depth than on FB posts, though.
ImageImageImage

Silenthill4life

Why are we still here?

Post by Silenthill4life on Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:13 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:People have mentioned me, I guess I'd better reply. Didn't see this topic before.

Let's see. I started my first SH site on angelfire in 1999, called White Claudia's SH Site (later Valtiel's Silent Hill site, later Alchemilla Hospital). I had a proboards forum for a while, and then hosted my forum on my own site (circleofdestriction) for a while. Also hung around a lot on the old shf co.uk site and SHT, before merging my forum with John's (this place here), and since he didn't have a lot of time for it, now I'm the owner of the domain here. So I come here not just because I own the place now, but because I like the place and the people.

Since OP brought up Facebook, I'm there too, but I often wonder if I'm only there to do fanpages, like the page I do for AlchemillaHospital.net and to keep up on news to discuss here. I dunno. I do think the quality of discussion on forums tends to be better and more in-depth than on FB posts, though.

Whoah, so you're the big boss?
Which weapon is most effective against you in a boss battle? :P

Sophia Peletier wrote:I mean exactly what I said. I have no friends. Sad, but true.
Even if I did have some, I'd prefer a good old-fashioned phone call over using Facebook.
This forum on the other hand is a great place to discuss one of my favorite franchises with people who are just as passionate about it as I am. That's why I love it here. It's really the only gaming site that I actively participate in.

If you believe in god, know that you are never alone
(If not pardon me for being obtrusive. :oops:)

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Why are we still here?

Post by nur_ein_tier on Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:31 am

Silenthill4life wrote:Whoah, so you're the big boss?
Which weapon is most effective against you in a boss battle? :P

Just throw a packet of beef jerky on the ground and walk on by. I won't even attack.
ImageImageImage

Next

Return to Silent Hill Community