Forum to read news and post comments/questions about the Community.

Oohfakanorus

My Star Sign Is MURDER!

The END of this community!

Post by Oohfakanorus on Tue May 06, 2014 11:49 am

Purramid_Head wrote:Sigh, I wish we could have a spazz out forum like the spam one. But you all can't be trusted so we can't have it.

How about a spazz out thread instead?
No results found for oohfakanorus.

Parvatii

Mind of Destructive Taste

Post by Parvatii on Tue May 06, 2014 11:52 am

Princess Lea wrote:
Purramid_Head wrote:Sigh, I wish we could have a spazz out forum like the spam one. But you all can't be trusted so we can't have it.

How about a spazz out thread instead?

I dunno, ask the boss lady.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

MuFc l mAtt

Post by MuFc l mAtt on Tue May 06, 2014 11:54 am

*sigh* *sigh* *sigh* ... The swag discussion was the end of the section. I seem to remember tempers boiling over and the rest being history, over something as trivial as a troll topic. I just personally think a spam/chat section is a bunch of nonsense waiting to happen.

*throws tablet through wall* This thing is great, but the typing is sooo incredibly tedious. Fukc
-

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue May 06, 2014 3:42 pm

^I remember around the first half of 2013 when I was visiting this place almost exclusively on my smartphone (didn't have internet at my place at the time, so couldn't visit from my desktop.) What a terrible experience that was, lol.

LuLu

Delugeon

Post by LuLu on Tue May 06, 2014 4:24 pm

Hmm, we'll see. I've been a part of the SHF community since around 2002 and it's still been going fairly strong since then. I've drifted a bit, buuuuuuut yeah. Still here obviously. :P (my name hasn't really changed either--it was originially o0 Lulu 0o on Proboards)

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Post by PinentidHead on Tue May 06, 2014 7:11 pm

White color scheme forum... I have to live with this, it's a market trend (tendency) - everything should be google like. I have discussions with partners and customers, in rare cases I'll like a white website, I like colors, and have some very personal preferences for dark ones. But, you know, the market... When I go from here to google, I have to put my sunglasses!

What means spazz out forum?

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Tue May 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:I'm not sure why you're worried about this place dying.

It's part of my job being paranoid - "the end is near" - and I like this community. I don't have patience with forums, facebook, chatrooms, etc.., this is the only one I spent a "large" amount of time. I'm worry about me, it's a selfish feeling - take advantage of it!

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Tue May 06, 2014 7:54 pm

What means spazz out forum?

Spaz-out forum would just be a place people go to go crazy and flip out, act in a very exaggerated melodramatic manner, etc. But I think we already have a thread or two for that elsewhere here, lol.

what

From behind the veil

Post by what on Tue May 06, 2014 8:33 pm

The other forum I am active on regularly has a 'likes' system and user rep. It actually works out well there, without much in the way of rep or kudos whoring. I don't think there's anything with the system that is intrinsically wrong, but it works best with a mature user base.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Tue May 06, 2014 9:30 pm

Maybe a good spaz-out could be a chat-room, without any history, we don't wanna see it in the future...

Maybe should have an "I agree" button instead of like it, I saw a lot around this forum...

Maybe we should have a "I din't say that / I din't mean that" thread...

Maybe I should shaddap! (I think I'm not mature enough)

Parvatii

Mind of Destructive Taste

Post by Parvatii on Tue May 06, 2014 9:51 pm

PinentidHead wrote:

It's part of my job being paranoid - "the end is near" - and I like this community. I don't have patience with forums, facebook, chatrooms, etc.., this is the only one I spent a "large" amount of time. I'm worry about me, it's a selfish feeling - take advantage of it!

How is this your job?
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

devil hunter

Ghost

Post by devil hunter on Wed May 07, 2014 3:26 am

I guess somebody has to do it.

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Post by Naroon on Wed May 07, 2014 4:04 am

Most of the tech forums I visit have rep systems, but only one community really emphasizes its usage, but it makes sense there. Since most people who partake in that hobby are mature, I've never seen anyone rep-whore on any of those sites before. But yeah, I don't think any of those sorts of things are even really necessary here. The place is fine as is.

Moss

Post by Moss on Wed May 07, 2014 6:58 am

Liking is unnecessary and only appropriate for Facebook (with actual friends) for brief acknowledgements of their existence. We're not only visiting for a moment here, though, and have the means to substantially talk! :)
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Wed May 07, 2014 5:41 pm

Purramid_Head wrote:
PinentidHead wrote:

How is this your job?

I develop for Internet in php, JavaScript, AS3 and other technologies. Also I'm a designer and do some advertisement work in InDesign, Photoshop, etc.. I only make changes in websites when I have time to test (at night, never before living my studio), I always think that - even trying my best - something will fail for some reason. Also, before send a job to print, I ask for the signature of who will pay for it (is like this you want? So sign here!). Can't trust people or computers, or even myself!

After all these years, I lived with several group of friends that eventually split up, so I got reasons to think that this group will split up someday. But this is a part of my wish of changing this community. The other part is a compulsion of changing and creating things (and bothering people). You know, I'm the kind of guy that build websites from ground zero instead of installing a Wordpress. I'm being honest, I think this community really needs an upgrade (at list to XXI century) but also I wish to do it, be a part of it.

And I should remind that when or if you deiced to make structural changes, this will take time (or money) to be realized, and than might be too late (here comes the paranoid again).

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Wed May 07, 2014 5:49 pm

Moss wrote:Liking is unnecessary and only appropriate for Facebook (with actual friends) for brief acknowledgements of their existence. We're not only visiting for a moment here, though, and have the means to substantially talk! :)

You're right for this point of view. It's a place that we spent time to build a good answer, research outside, bring links and material. But this forum is kinda slow in interaction. Every click means a reload of all content, there is only one interface (one window) and there is no activity in the background (you don't know if a user left or got in). Changing this mechanics, I don't know if this kind of resource of "Like it" button (there is other ones) is inappropriate or useful, I really got doubts about.

Moss

Post by Moss on Wed May 07, 2014 8:31 pm

I appreciate how the current design of the forum is - elegant, relevant and tranquil. Our posts appear on old paper practically and it's a nice effect, combined with colours that intermix well. Additionally, it's perfect for the theme of Downpour, water, which was the latest entry and could be viewed as 'heavy, collected fog'.

Whilst I agree one constantly needs to be apprehensive, I don't think it's healthy to invent issues or change acceptable features to (potentially) create actual ones.
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?

Meltdown

Post by Meltdown on Thu May 08, 2014 3:16 am

Moss wrote:I appreciate how the current design of the forum is - elegant, relevant and tranquil. Our posts appear on old paper practically and it's a nice effect, combined with colours that intermix well. Additionally, it's perfect for the theme of Downpour, water, which was the latest entry and could be viewed as 'heavy, collected fog'.

Whilst I agree one constantly needs to be apprehensive, I don't think it's healthy to invent issues or change acceptable features to (potentially) create actual ones.

Agreed.

I like this forum, the way its set up, the community, and the design. I don't think it has any major problems, so why fuck with it?
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!

jam6i

Post by jam6i on Thu May 08, 2014 6:40 pm

If the franchise died, places like this would last for quite awhile after the series "officially" ends.

4815162352.com was the internet's go to place for Lost discussion. Thousands of members, countless topics and posts (I was active there with like 4,000 posts or something from like 2006-2010). The show itself ended in 2010. It was like 3 years before the site disappeared.

For the first like 8 months after the show, the forum was still on fire. But after like a year, it suddenly started dying. People stopped posting, mods stopped posting, and in general people stopped coming. I was one of them. The show was over...there was not much left to discuss. After like two years the forum was almost a ghost town. There were a small group of people who still posted things like "hey...those were good times, guys", but that was pretty much it. I even stopped visiting for months at a time because there was nothing to see. It was dead, is what I'm sayin'.

The difference with a video game franchise is that there isn't really a way to know if there actually is an end. There is always the high probability that whatever game last came out won't be the last one. The indefinite status of the franchise guarantees life on forums like this.

And if the franchise were to die....the place would still be active for a long time. If the Lost forum is a good indicator, you could expect a few years of extra life after death.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

PinentidHead

Post by PinentidHead on Mon May 12, 2014 6:34 pm

This community is a little different (I think) because there is a lot of parallel subjects and even some no so parallel. I was reading "The Evil Within" thread with 83 posts, and the game wasn't released yet. So I think it might survive to a collapse of the franchise if the community keep it hot. I think the end will be a combination of end of the franchise, to old technology, to old behavior of the members to keep a "critical mass of people" that keep a community alive and health.

So as the end gets near, there is some endings:

- To keep the knife and let it be, I cannot live like this, let the water take me...
- To just leave, and maybe create theevilwithincommunity.com...
- To stay with something born from a wish, that is not really facing the reality and leave, but it's something of old with something of new, and something that I like a lot...
- To cross the lake and link the forum with Facebook...
- To face the true: nothing of this is real anyway...
- What else is there?

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Community