Forum to read news and post comments/questions about the Community.
 
 

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

User avatar

Jesus blows up balloons all day

Posts: 6707

Joined: Jan 18, 2006

The END of this community!

Post by nur_ein_tier on Mon May 05, 2014 1:30 am

Not to mention that, even if Konami were to officially end the series, it wouldn't stop people from wanting to play and discuss them. Even now, there are new fans just discovering the earlier games, for example, and with a long-running series like this, that won't stop while the games are still readily available.
ImageImage
 
 
 
 
 

Parvatii

Moderator

User avatar

Mind of Destructive Taste

Posts: 8652

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The END of this community!

Post by Parvatii on Mon May 05, 2014 2:34 am

First time I've heard of forums with like post buttons. How odd. I don't see why we should compete with Facebook.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

Fur

Member

User avatar

Posts: 261

Joined: Aug 07, 2011

The END of this community!

Post by Fur on Mon May 05, 2014 5:01 am

What makes this place stand out is the quality of the discussions and the unique look so it would be sad to see it end. Not sure about the like buttons, seems kind of awkward.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Otherworld

Member

User avatar

I'm going to town either way ...

Posts: 6353

Joined: Oct 11, 2013

Location: Canada

The END of this community!

Post by Otherworld on Mon May 05, 2014 9:45 am

Like buttons would seem odd. If you agree with a post, then post that you agree and add your own 2 cents ....

As far as this community goes .... Funny thing ...... I have been a Silent Hill fan as long as this franchise has existed. But, I has taken me years to find a community like this one. I don't know why .... but for whatever reason, the others I have looked at did not suit me.

When I joined here I was instantly impressed by the "substance" of the conversations here. And I knew I would be able to learn from the members here, all the while I'd be able to express my opinions openly.

Because I know I will be a fan of the franchise for as long as I live, I am sure I'll be a member here for a very long time as I have found some of the best fans of the franchise right here .......

Sorry guys, I know I'm not going anywhere ...... :lol:
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Crystopsy

Member

User avatar

Canadian Role Model

Posts: 1212

Joined: Mar 21, 2012

Location: Canada

The END of this community!

Post by Crystopsy on Mon May 05, 2014 11:39 am

nur_ein_tier wrote:Not to mention that, even if Konami were to officially end the series, it wouldn't stop people from wanting to play and discuss them. Even now, there are new fans just discovering the earlier games, for example, and with a long-running series like this, that won't stop while the games are still readily available.


This sums up exactly what I wanted to say after reading all the posts from the first page. No matter what happens, be it the series comes to an abrupt end, or new people coming in after having just discovered the series, there will always be things to talk about. This isn't to say that some people won't become bored, but that's human nature. Personally speaking, this is the only place I want to come and express my opinions, not only on the games, but on other topics as well. Not to mention, I've had the pleasure of interacting and becoming friends with some of you outside of the community over the last few years.

As for implementing a 'like" button option, I think that would deter people from engaging in conversation. The whole point of posting on a forum in the first place is to share with others and let your voice be heard.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Moss

Member

User avatar

Posts: 268

Joined: Apr 18, 2014

The END of this community!

Post by Moss on Mon May 05, 2014 5:00 pm

Crystopsy wrote:
nur_ein_tier wrote:Not to mention that, even if Konami were to officially end the series, it wouldn't stop people from wanting to play and discuss them. Even now, there are new fans just discovering the earlier games, for example, and with a long-running series like this, that won't stop while the games are still readily available.


This sums up exactly what I wanted to say after reading all the posts from the first page. No matter what happens, be it the series comes to an abrupt end, or new people coming in after having just discovered the series, there will always be things to talk about. This isn't to say that some people won't become bored, but that's human nature. Personally speaking, this is the only place I want to come and express my opinions, not only on the games, but on other topics as well. Not to mention, I've had the pleasure of interacting and becoming friends with some of you outside of the community over the last few years.

As for implementing a 'like" button option, I think that would deter people from engaging in conversation. The whole point of posting on a forum in the first place is to share with others and let your voice be heard.

The topic's only the beginning. :)
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?
 
 
 
 
 

Parvatii

Moderator

User avatar

Mind of Destructive Taste

Posts: 8652

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The END of this community!

Post by Parvatii on Mon May 05, 2014 5:09 pm

Image
Image

Doom shall be upon us! And horses!
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

Moss

Member

User avatar

Posts: 268

Joined: Apr 18, 2014

The END of this community!

Post by Moss on Mon May 05, 2014 5:57 pm

Three more horses until we have all four and then I'll be terrified.
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?
 
 
 
 
 

clips7

Member

User avatar

MiNd...ExPaNsIoN...

Posts: 2287

Joined: Sep 28, 2011

Location: United States

The END of this community!

Post by clips7 on Mon May 05, 2014 6:13 pm

I didn't know what I was going to do when Helldescent originally shut down. I went to SH Heaven, and I still go there from time to time, but this forum is the shining star for the franchise. I like the members and even tho some of the subject material can cause some threads to become a tad heated, I've never had any ill-will towards anyone here and all of the subjects have been handled in a mature manner.

I also like the overall color scheme of this site...I can't stand forums that have white backgrounds...>_<....best SH site around with a nice set of members. I think this place will thrive even if they discontinue the series. Once a new game is announced, I'm sure traffic will surge again. I still visit Helldescent to show those cats some luv, and even tho they aren't what they used to be, there are still a bunch of fine folks over there.
Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding....these are the basic fundamentals of life....

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t...
 
 
 
 
 

Parvatii

Moderator

User avatar

Mind of Destructive Taste

Posts: 8652

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The END of this community!

Post by Parvatii on Mon May 05, 2014 6:16 pm

Moss wrote:Three more horses until we have all four and then I'll be terrified.



Doesn't Dahlia's horse face count?
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

PinentidHead

Member

User avatar

An old Silent Hill fan old

Posts: 1875

Joined: Oct 03, 2011

Location: Brazil

The END of this community!

Post by PinentidHead on Mon May 05, 2014 6:33 pm

Princess Kenny wrote:
nur_ein_tier wrote:Yeah, I'm on 2 other forums with "likes," and I still believe they only belong on Facebook.

Also, I think if you like a post, you should make a reply and tell everyone WHY you like it, rather than clicking a "like" button and then leaving the thread. It doesn't help improve the discussion.


I like this post because it exposes the idiocy of the like system.


:hand down:

Don't be so quickly by lowering a suggestion, you may like a like button or not, why those who use it are idiots?

There is hands resource too, or maybe a quick observation, all resources like old fashioned smilies that exists for us to use it or not.

And in my personal opinion, a chat room won't work here.
 
 
 
 
 
 

PinentidHead

Member

User avatar

An old Silent Hill fan old

Posts: 1875

Joined: Oct 03, 2011

Location: Brazil

The END of this community!

Post by PinentidHead on Mon May 05, 2014 6:50 pm

Fur wrote:What makes this place stand out is the quality of the discussions and the unique look so it would be sad to see it end. Not sure about the like buttons, seems kind of awkward.
Purramid_Head wrote:First time I've heard of forums with like post buttons. How odd. I don't see why we should compete with Facebook.


When I mentioned Facebook and like buttons it's because I went an example of a dynamic forum, not try to build a FaceBookOfMemories. Also, I was thinking (and reading) and I think this community should not be connected to Facebook, as is usual, will bring a lot of unknown people that might decrease the quality of discussions - one strong point here.

Using a real world example, DVD rental are dying here, because of online contents. So the traditional places are changing to multiply sellers and rental of related stuff, like collectable items, old things (a museum), also got coffee and ice cream. So they don't give up of their business and the activities they love, but they adapt the "business model". We don't "sell" things here, an advantage, but I think we will have to adapt our way of life to keep the community warm.

I know there is communities of arcade games, text-based MMORPGs... we will survive!
 
 
 
 
 
 

Parvatii

Moderator

User avatar

Mind of Destructive Taste

Posts: 8652

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The END of this community!

Post by Parvatii on Mon May 05, 2014 6:56 pm

I'm not sure why you're worried about this place dying. I mean, look at my sign up date. >.<
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5325

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

The END of this community!

Post by Naroon on Mon May 05, 2014 11:25 pm

A "Like" button isn't needed. If you like someone's post that much, may as well give them the courtesy of an actual direct acknowledgement.

I also like the overall color scheme of this site...I can't stand forums that have white backgrounds...


Agreed. I vehemently dislike any website that emphasizes a nuclear-explosion-white color scheme, which unfortunately is most sites out there. I'm mostly at my PC during night/early morning, so the contrast of having my eyes suddenly burned out never ceases to be an unpleasant phenomenon.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Moss

Member

User avatar

Posts: 268

Joined: Apr 18, 2014

The END of this community!

Post by Moss on Tue May 06, 2014 2:51 am

NarooN wrote:A "Like" button isn't needed. If you like someone's post that much, may as well give them the courtesy of an actual direct acknowledgement.

I also like the overall color scheme of this site...I can't stand forums that have white backgrounds...


Agreed. I vehemently dislike any website that emphasizes a nuclear-explosion-white color scheme, which unfortunately is most sites out there. I'm mostly at my PC during night/early morning, so the contrast of having my eyes suddenly burned out never ceases to be an unpleasant phenomenon.

People should already think think of 'likes' as tacit, even irrelevant at times, and not be dependent on a superficial sign for support/confidence/status. The thought of externalizing the already poor concept into a terse, tangible system is not only superficial, it would likely lead to an absurd competition to attain likes, including awful techniques...
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5325

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

The END of this community!

Post by Naroon on Tue May 06, 2014 7:29 am

Indeed. I've seen it happen elsewhere -- people creating threads where it's obvious the sole purpose was to acquire a collection of "Likes" to their ever-growing assemblage, like achievement-whores in video games. It really brings down the vibes and discourages others (sane reasonable ones, anyway) from engaging in conversation. Pretty much another form of spam, really.
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Moss

Member

User avatar

Posts: 268

Joined: Apr 18, 2014

The END of this community!

Post by Moss on Tue May 06, 2014 8:03 am

NarooN wrote:Indeed. I've seen it happen elsewhere -- people creating threads where it's obvious the sole purpose was to acquire a collection of "Likes" to their ever-growing assemblage, like achievement-whores in video games. It really brings down the vibes and discourages others (sane reasonable ones, anyway) from engaging in conversation. Pretty much another form of spam, really.

Youtube remarks have this as prevalent, "Like the following comment to agree with X" - so contrived as a method to beg for likes through obvious appeals/options to receive them, manipulatively so. Need I mention chain letters? Ostentatious photoshoots across Facebook? Repetitive memes? Inside jokes?

Urgh!

Individuality! A community compromised of individuals is beautiful, not an assembly of people as only a 'crowd'. These social gimmicks are an efface and affront to these depths!
Silent Hill abbreviated is SH. Survival Horror abbreivated is SH. If you pronounce 'SH' in a Japanese accent, it it pronounced as 'see'. Do you 'see' Silent Hill is the Survival of Survival Horror- the prophet?
 
 
 
 
 

MuFc l mAtt

Member

User avatar

Posts: 2826

Joined: Mar 13, 2013

Location: United Kingdom

The END of this community!

Post by MuFc l mAtt on Tue May 06, 2014 8:41 am

No, to both chatrooms and 'Like' buttons. As others have said, the addition of a Like button decreases chance for conversation. There's also Like-whoring, in which you only have to take a gander at YTube to see how brain numbingly desperate that can get.

Chatrooms.. look at what happened with the spam section a year back, It seemed many just signed in to have a mess about, never to return again once the section got shutdown.


As for the forum dying down, I'll be hear as long as I'm still breathing. Besides, I've learnt all I have done as far as the series goes from you folks here(still a way to go, mind you); haven't touched another SH-related forum. I'm loyal through and through! Even if the whole SH game section fell into the abyss, I'd still be making my daily visits to the 'Everything else' section in order to see how you fine folks are getting along. :P

Something that this series possesses, that most others do not, is that of an everlasting degree of player interpretation, in turn paving way for all sorts of crazy debates and whatnot.
-
 
 
 
 
 

Naroon

Member

User avatar

Pillman's got a gun!

Posts: 5325

Joined: Mar 29, 2011

Location: United States

The END of this community!

Post by Naroon on Tue May 06, 2014 11:14 am

Chatrooms.. look at what happened with the spam section a year back, It seemed many just signed in to have a mess about, never to return again once the section got shutdown.


Haha, yep. The Spam section and how it turned out was as good a test run and reason as any to see why a live chatroom would never work here. It was a fun sub-forum, but somehow some people got butthurt over the most trivial things and wound up ragequitting this board (or getting banned outright) over it. Human psychology is an amazing thing, innit?
Image
 
 
 
 
 

Parvatii

Moderator

User avatar

Mind of Destructive Taste

Posts: 8652

Joined: Feb 21, 2006

Location: United States

The END of this community!

Post by Parvatii on Tue May 06, 2014 11:23 am

Sigh, I wish we could have a spazz out forum like the spam one. But you all can't be trusted so we can't have it.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)
 
 
 
PreviousNext


Return to Silent Hill Community



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest