Forum to read news and post comments/questions about the Community.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Forum suggestions

Post by nur_ein_tier on Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:29 pm

I would not know how to do that, I don't know of any mods for it. People could put it as their custom usertitle but beyond that, all I could do would be to close that thread and not allow it anymore, and I don't think it's really harmful enough to do that.
ImageImageImage

what

From behind the veil

Forum suggestions

Post by what on Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:03 pm

We could ask that people who change their usernames add a little snippet in their signature or usertitle for thirty days, to the effect of "formerly known as PyramidScrotum19" or something, to help alleviate confusion. Because I agree, it is confusing.

Vestige

Forum suggestions

Post by Vestige on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:37 pm

Can you guys open a new field in the member profile to include aliases? I wrote mines in the "interests" field for now, maybe we should make it netiquette here to put your aliases in the profile.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Forum suggestions

Post by nur_ein_tier on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:54 pm

@mr Wiggums: I did that: go to user control panel and profile:
ImageImageImage

Vestige

Forum suggestions

Post by Vestige on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:02 pm

^ Awesome, i hope people start using it because it is indeed something very weird and confusing. I noticed it doesn't hold much text but maybe one alias is enough anyway. Thanks :3.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Forum suggestions

Post by nur_ein_tier on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Maximum number of characters is now 200.
ImageImageImage

MuFc l mAtt

Forum suggestions

Post by MuFc l mAtt on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:36 pm

Quality stuff. Hopefully everyone goes along with this.

I'm pretty sure I've seen several forum members speaking to others like they're newly acquainted when as a matter of fact they've actually spoken in the past only under a different name. XD
-

Arkjoww

Horizon to Zenith

Forum suggestions

Post by Arkjoww on Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but if not...I vote towards the removal of a post count. I used to be active on Starmen.net and at first I thought it odd that they didn't have a post count. But when I asked about it, I received the inevitable "because post number dictates ego/dick size" response. We seem to be a rather tight knit community here anyways, but anything to make other users feel they are on an equal pedestal.

I also vote towards the addition of a chatroom.
tHiS iS a SiGnAtUrE. iS iT dIsTrAcTiNg?

Naroon

Pillman's got a gun!

Forum suggestions

Post by Naroon on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:37 pm

I don't think the post count really intimidates newcomers. This site has a minimalistic feel as it is, which is great. I hate forums that show the user's rank with like, 100 stars and ten different custom user-titles under their "info" area, and then they have like three animating .GIF's in their sig area and such, etc. Just lots of clutter.

This community is, as you said, tightly-knit and pretty down-to-earth, so newcomers easily feel at home when they arrive. Sadly most newcomers only stay here for a very brief time anyway, but still...lol.

what

From behind the veil

Forum suggestions

Post by what on Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:56 pm

To my knowledge, a visible post count has never caused any problems here. We wouldn't allow it to.

I have 1900 or so more posts than you do, and I'm a moderator. I'm no better than you and the rules apply to me every bit as much.

lol pyramidscrotum. Maybe I'll change my name to that one day.

Borg

Ghost

Forum suggestions

Post by Borg on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:09 pm

I don't even notice how many posts I have, usually. But, when I do, I'm like: damn.

Arkjoww

Horizon to Zenith

Forum suggestions

Post by Arkjoww on Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:32 pm

Well then I stand corrected! Glad to know the post count has never caused an issue. It seems to happen on other forums, but I guess we're just awesome that way.
tHiS iS a SiGnAtUrE. iS iT dIsTrAcTiNg?

MuFc l mAtt

Forum suggestions

Post by MuFc l mAtt on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:07 pm

I have a 2233 post count... I fucking rock! Anyone below me is scum. Either that, or I need to find some kind of hobby due to only joining just over a year ago.<-- Truth. :lol: What can I say, I love this place and enjoy reading all of your daily shenanigans and whatnows.

But seriously, I couldn't give a flying poop what my count is, it was only until a while ago that I actually noticed mine at all, in honesty. The count read "1992" and I caught sight of this and thought to myself "dats my birf date, yo!" as you do when your mind wanders as mine does. Haha

I used to post at the EpicGames forum and "high ranking" members used to openly ignore people with a low post count on a regular basis; usually referring to them as a "scourge" or some GoW-related nerd word used to speak down to newcomers. I once addressed them on this and their reason behind their ignorance was, "We've found that people only sign up to the forums in order to enter the prize giveaways and then never return again" now that's understandable and all, but those few people, alone, shouldn't warrant future newcomers having to take the heat for that. What a great way to greet and introduce people to your forums. We should implement that here, most definitely.

Edit: Make that 'Post count: 2234'.. I be gettin' all da b*tches! #SWAG
-

Meltdown

Forum suggestions

Post by Meltdown on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:18 pm

Arkjoww wrote:Well then I stand corrected! Glad to know the post count has never caused an issue. It seems to happen on other forums, but I guess we're just awesome that way.

There are a lot of other forums that make a bigger deal out of post counts and the like. For example, another forum I'm a member of gives custom ranks and special customization options to members who have achieved certain post counts, like a ranking system. I can see that as somewhat annoying and/or intimidating.
Hopscotch chalk is made with lead!

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Forum suggestions

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:28 pm

Yeah, I haven't ever noticed it being an issue here.
ImageImageImage

Leonard Wolf

Just another resident of Silent Hill

Forum suggestions

Post by Leonard Wolf on Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:01 am

Wow, I'm glad I could find a topic like that here, since I was thinking to create one to make a suggestion of mine, it's good this one is specific for suggestions. :D
Well, my suggestion is: I was thinking about creating a topic in the board "Welcome to Silent Hill", called "Member Profiles", for (as the name itself implies) us to post there information about ourselves (you know, which other games we like besides Silent Hill, what else we like besides videogames, where we live, our age, our hobbies, etc), for everyone to get to know each other better, especially the new guys, since with this topic they will get to know us better and we'll also get to know them better, and I think the topic should be a fixed thread in the board, along with the other announcements.
I hope I have made myself clear, but in a nutshell, whoever posts in the topic should answer these following questions:(I hope everybody agrees with these questions, but if the moderators accept my idea with the condition to change one or two questions, that's fine for me)
(And yes, I know some of these informations everybody can see in each other's profile, but even so)

First things first:
-----------
Name: (Note: If you don't want to write your full name, you can put only your first name, since it's your true name)
Birth Date:
Marital Status:
Qualities:
Defects:
Hobbies:

Physical appearence:
---------------
Hair Color:
Eyes Color:
Height:
Weight:
Photo (URL):

Personal tastes:
---------------
Actors:
Actresses:
Books:
Movies:
Songs:
Bands/Singers:
Favorite Color(s):
Foods:
Sports:

Silent Hill:
-------------------
Set the game in one single word:
When you knew the game:
You liked Silent Hill because...:
Favorite game of the series:
Favorite Characters:
Favorite Weapons:
Favorite Enemies:
Your opinion about the movies:

Others:
-----------
Other games you like:
Other foruns you frequent:
Other stuff for which you are a fanatic:

(And yes, if you prefer to, you can also choose not to answer one question or another, if you feel uncomfortable about that question)
Well, that's it, here's my suggestion!=)
I hope it's accepted.^^

what

From behind the veil

Forum suggestions

Post by what on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:16 am

I think that might be a bit overboard on the personal information front, especially things like weight and 'defects', and most of this information is in threads asking about them.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Forum suggestions

Post by nur_ein_tier on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:26 am

We have entire threads devoted to most of those things in the Member's status and General Discussion forums.

You are free to create a thread with a longer, more comprehensive questionaire in one of those places, if you like.

This thread is intended more for suggestions for changes to the actual forum itself (themes, custom profile fields, etc.)
ImageImageImage

Xuchilbara

The Red God

Forum suggestions

Post by Xuchilbara on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:27 am

We aren't a dating service. That's Hell Descent, formerly Silent Hill V fporums, where my ex boyfriend met all the girls he was with, including me. He doesn't go there now. Lol

Anyway, if the sight starts asking me for my weight, I might stab some fools.
WHY NOT ZOIDBERG? (V)(;,,,;)(V)

MuFc l mAtt

Forum suggestions

Post by MuFc l mAtt on Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:43 am

I was up for LW's idea, but whatever. Plus, we pretty much already have that in the form of each members profile card information, though, I'll admit, they aren't too spacious. An everlasting thread in the 'Welcome to Silent Hill' in which for everyone to post their completed form around your guidelines would've been cool, figuring we're a close bunch and all. :)

Purramid_Head wrote:We aren't a dating service.

Well I've been had. The forum will never hear from me again.

@nur/Purr/tur/Burr/hdhf/what - Can we get a new 'normal smiley'? The one above has always creeped me out. It's like a forced, serial killer-ish smile. Just sayin'.. I don't want people getting the wrong impressions. ._.
-

PreviousNext

Return to Silent Hill Community