Forum to read news and post comments/questions about the Community.

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Forum suggestions

Post by nur_ein_tier on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:43 pm

These are mostly from my old horror movies forums, that's why some are violent. lol.
ImageImageImage

PinentidHead

An old Silent Hill fan old

Forum suggestions

Post by PinentidHead on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:35 pm

I just read a post saying that Hell Descent forum has ended and people will be migrating to here. Is this good because will increase our active population, or bad because means we might be next?

I'm now working to create a forum test to study phpBB, how to work with the engine with my own interface tools. I have concluded my "toolbox" that is functionally in several websites, but still very primitive. I need a new challenge! If I could do the basics, I'll call the administrators of this forum for a serious chat! Still a 2016 project, but it's in my mind every day.

My idea is to work on some aspects that make difficult for people to get in and to use this forum (usability). In addition, there is a "trend" I can see that forums becomes a part of a bigger project, usually a portal. In this case, we might think about negotiate to join some sites with this community to create a sort of museum. The goal is to guarantee a longer lifetime that will not depend only by a group of freaks… what do you think about?

nur_ein_tier

SHC Admin

Forum suggestions

Post by nur_ein_tier on Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:43 pm

^That post was talking about something that happened years ago.

The forum already is joined with a group of SH sites that can be found listed in the site partners subforum. There aren't a lot of sites that are still updated that have a lot of SH content these days (other than the ones listed), as most of the internet seems to have migrated to sites like Facebook and Twitter.

I don't really think the forum needs any serious changes at the moment.
ImageImageImage

Gauss

Forum suggestions

Post by Gauss on Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:12 am

PinentidHead wrote:I just read a post saying that Hell Descent forum has ended and people will be migrating to here. Is this good because will increase our active population, or bad because means we might be next?

I'm now working to create a forum test to study phpBB, how to work with the engine with my own interface tools. I have concluded my "toolbox" that is functionally in several websites, but still very primitive. I need a new challenge! If I could do the basics, I'll call the administrators of this forum for a serious chat! Still a 2016 project, but it's in my mind every day.

My idea is to work on some aspects that make difficult for people to get in and to use this forum (usability). In addition, there is a "trend" I can see that forums becomes a part of a bigger project, usually a portal. In this case, we might think about negotiate to join some sites with this community to create a sort of museum. The goal is to guarantee a longer lifetime that will not depend only by a group of freaks… what do you think about?

While you seem to have good intentions, the thought of having someone tamper with the forum's code worries me. The forum is working just fine, and I know I wouldn't comfortable with you coding for the site and it being your "new challenge". Regarding usability, it's unclear what exactly you mean. Are you talking about mobile usability? General usability? What specifically could be improved usability-wise?

As Amy pointed out, we have partner sites. Your point about guaranteeing a longer lifetime seems to rest on the assumption that this site could go "poof!" any moment now. This concern might come from the Hell Descent forum issue. This forum isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and we've had an active community - however small - that keeps the machine moving.
There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city

PinentidHead

Forum suggestions

Post by PinentidHead on Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:09 pm

I will agree and disagree with you and nur_ein_tier (Amy = nur_ein_tier?)! You are both right about this forum don't need changes now or in the near time, it will not just vanish. Also, another person making changes in the code is a serious thing, the code must be protected. But one thing I learn in years programming and also as a partner of a development company: coding takes time, and changing code takes time either! You see, doing a forum like this it's like to build a house, and when it becomes too old, might be a better idea to build a new one. Both solutions, to build or to reform, will take time - a lot. You only can make it fast by heaving a hell of a team, money, or maybe a ready solution, that maybe fit the necessities. So when I do a suggestion for a change, is for the years ahead.

Yes, I have seen some forums die calling for help from the fans, I helped my son by donating to a Minecraft server, but only delay death. Maybe you feel safe, but I see the Internet since the beginning, and I'll never feel safe here! I'm working alone now and have several clients. Even with a very customized code, the code never last, the server has to be updated so as the code since some instructions and libraries became deprecated - that's Internet life. If we think about next five years, when we discovered it's time for a deep change, probably will be too late.

As for any changes, I intent to work on a phpBB in my own machine to learn and try something that might be possible to do without changing the code on your server. A step ahead will be I sent some code for you to start a parallel project, never to change the original one. So don't worry, I don't intent to mess with your code, I just don't wish to start a project based on your forum without your knowledge! Developing is not funny without clients to say it won't work, it's weird, we don't need it, etc...

Whitney

Partner

Silent Hill Historical Society Curator

Forum suggestions

Post by Whitney on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:24 pm

Didn't realize this forum needed saving....
My Websites!
Image Image Image

jam6i

Forum suggestions

Post by jam6i on Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:13 am

Pinny I think they *may* be hinting to you that, at least for the near future, things are okay. I'm pretty sure (speculation since I don't actually know for fact) the problem with Hell Descent was the site was absorbed by Rely On Horror and there wasn't much need to have a forum there anymore, though they tried to make it work for a time. Unless this site becomes a journalism site like RoH, I doubt anything drastic will happen.

At the very least I feel comfy saying Hell Descent was an out of the ordinary situation that this place probably won't have to go through.
There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

PinentidHead

Forum suggestions

Post by PinentidHead on Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:14 pm

I don't know a lot of forums in english, but it seams, by what I've read here from testimonials, what makes this forum successful it's you guys! And when I give my suggestions, I'm thinking in make it easy for the others, not for us that are here already and won't go anywhere. Also I don't know another forum still working in this format, almost pure php that have to reload everything for every step and is not friendly with the rest of the Internet. I can't imagine how an updated interface can be bad to this community, but it seams I'm talking alone in some nowhere's empty room...

PinentidHead

Forum suggestions

Post by PinentidHead on Sun May 15, 2016 6:14 pm

I'm looking a conspiracy theory of P.T. and thinking about the children of Silent Hill (or orphans). I think this community might need a place for "Spiritual Successors" games, maybe inside additional part. Of course, we will have the dirt job of to select the games - somebody has to do it.

JUI

Forum suggestions

Post by JUI on Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:41 pm

Dear forum,

I want to publish a fan work here in "Creative Aspiration", which is a suggestion for a SH2-ish game. It is a text document (Libre Office) about 16 pages long so far. (It will become longer.)

My question: How do I attach this document to my post, and is it possible at all?

Thank you for reply
I am the kicking, panting James' unresolved issue. Enjoy.

Otherworld

I'm going to town either way ...

Forum suggestions

Post by Otherworld on Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 pm

JUI wrote:Dear forum,

I want to publish a fan work here in "Creative Aspiration", which is a suggestion for a SH2-ish game. It is a text document (Libre Office) about 16 pages long so far. (It will become longer.)

My question: How do I attach this document to my post, and is it possible at all?

Thank you for reply

Greetings and Salutations JUI.

It's probably best to post link of it.

PinentidHead

Forum suggestions

Post by PinentidHead on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:29 pm

^JUI: You might choose a virtual disk as DropBox, 4shared, etc. and post the shared link for forums.

Previous

Return to Silent Hill Community