AlchemillaHsospital

The best of the non Team Silent games...

Annin_Tofu

The best of the non Team Silent games...

Post by Annin_Tofu »

I think so, anyway.

While it could have been a somewhat better prequel in terms of the story, it's still a great game, and it has fixed camera angles. Mind how after 2005, nearly everything in the horror department was like Resident Evil 4? Over the shoulder, and very action heavy into the bargain. It zapped the tension right out of the genre, and so it became incredibly meh.

Personally, I don't even mind what the viewpoint is, provided it's a creepy game with an engaging story. But I have to be able to at least fight back. I'm not all that keen on these newer style of games where you mostly run and hide, or use a camcorder.
rodox_head

Re: The best of the non Team Silent games...

Post by rodox_head »

The game's got an emotional connection to me so I'm a little biased, but I can agree with you. I only experienced relatively minor bugs when I played it, but considering it was scrapped and rebuilt in practically a year IIRC it came out not too bad. Travis is actually my third favorite character in the series behind Heather and Douglas. The soundtrack is pretty good too.
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
Otherworld

Post by Otherworld »

OST is great and I thought the use of Travis as a conduit for Alessa worked well. Other than the weapon system I enjoyed the game.
I'm going to town either way.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm fond of it. All the unlockables, the costumes, torch styles, esp the weapons, really added to the replayability also imo.
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

Did anyone else get some kind of an "old school" vibe from the game? I actually played the first game after 0rigins and I remember finding them pretty similar in style, or at least a little more than 2, 3, and 4 were. Even the music stands out, reminding me more of stuff like Quake or Postal(Yamaoka used a lot of the same samples, but still) with its pseudo-rhythmic background ambience. The Pill puzzle in the sanitarium especially reminded me of something out of a point and click game.

It really is an outlier in the post-TS era. Homecoming and Downpour stick out enough to get hate from a lot of people, SM usualy gets the praise from the group, I think BoM is largely frogotten about, but 0rigins is just kinda there in its own little spot, only really getting hate due to it being a prequel.
Xuchilbara

Post by Xuchilbara »

It's a fun game and the soundtrack is off the wall. But the story was a bit disappointing and I don't think the writers understood source material because they contradict it.
"Speak.
I am the Crimson One.
The lies and the mist are
not they, but I.
You all know that I am One.
Yes, and the One is I."
- Me, probably
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

Xuchilbara wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:52 pm It's a fun game and the soundtrack is off the wall. But the story was a bit disappointing and I don't think the writers understood source material because they contradict it.
It's a shame. The story is set up kind of like "Taxi Driver" set in Silent Hill, it would have been a great mix if it hadn't been so half baked.
firecrest

Post by firecrest »

Having recently played the game, I find there was a lot to like about Silent Hill Origins. The Mirror mechanics was rather clever and the team really went to town on the camera angles.

I think the background detail suffered as it started off as a PSP game. It made any room look like any other room aesthetically. It didn't quite invite me to explore and examine the area as much as the earlier PS2 games. I also missed the dynamic camera control when moving the R3 button: you know, the neck exercise. :)

I am able to forgive some of the story discrepancies now that my memory of the earlier games is fuzzier on the finer details. In retrospect, I feel Silent Hill 3 also allowed some leeway and may have retconned some aspects from Silent Hill 1 in a subtle way. I noticed that the supplementary book "Drawing Block" describes the crest in Midwich Elementary (referring to the Seal of Metatron) as having been drawn to revive the God that Dahlia worships.

Perhaps I should see SH3 as Owaku's interpretation of SH1 and Silent Hill Origins as being Climax's interpretation of both works.

What was missing from Silent Hill Origins was the abstract appeal of the earlier games. The game stands well on its own, but I don't think the audience found as much to talk about after completing the game.