AlchemillaHsospital

SH0 and Taxi Driver

rodox_head

SH0 and Taxi Driver

Post by rodox_head »

I've always seen people mention the "SH0 was inspired by Scrubs" thing, but I don't think I've seen anyone bring up Taxi Driver except me on a few occasions. I feel like the parallels are pretty noticeable.

Spoilers for the film and game:
-Protagonists have the same first name
-Grady and Bickle are both socially stunted loners who work isolated jobs that involve driving
-Bickle was in the military and some have theorized Grady was as well
-Lisa's red/white attire is similar to that of Betsy and Iris from the film
-Grady's outfit is almost identical to one of Bickle's (minus sleeves)
-The scene of Grady and Lisa in the theatre is comparable to when Bickle introduces himself to Iris with the uncomfortable sexual advances
-Bickle and Betsy have their falling out at a theatre
-Lisa and Iris are both young and naive as well as drug users that engage in prostitution (to a degree with Lisa)
-Both Bickle and Grady have a goal that involves "saving" a child
-Bickle commits spontaneous murder which is also what Grady is heavily implied to do as well.
-The theme of looking in mirrors is present in both the game and the film

Thoughts?
In here is a tragedy, art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.
There is nothing which cannot become a puppet of fate
or an onlooker, peering into the cage.
firecrest

Re: SH0 and Taxi Driver

Post by firecrest »

rodox_head wrote:-Lisa's red/white attire is similar to that of Betsy and Iris from the film
My understanding is that the original Lisa from Silent Hill 1 was modeled after the nurse from The Exorcist III. Silent Hill Origins' Lisa's attire would be connected that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5OGQr3xdfM

Silent Hill Origins and Taxi Driver doesn't seem to share a common theme other than portraying a very lonely, socially awkward man, but some references could work if there were an intention:

- In both intros, there's a close-up of each protagonist's eyes as they are driving in their respective vehicles. That kind of shot isn't all that common these days from what I gather. A similar shot of Grady's eyes is shown in the Bad Ending, too. This could be a visual reference.
- A scene where Bickle almost runs over Iris who is accompanied by her co-worker/friend. Grady almost runs over Alessa. They each go after their respective characters afterwards.
- Both characters suffer(?) from sleep deprivation. Bickle is an insomniac and Grady cannot get any sleep due to nightmares.
- Bickle asks for Wizard's advice. Wizard seems to know that Bickle is troubled and says something like, "get drunk, get laid, do anything." Buddy gives a similar advice to Grady to get laid as a cure to his sleep deprivation problem.
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

firecrest wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:45 am
rodox_head wrote:-Lisa's red/white attire is similar to that of Betsy and Iris from the film
My understanding is that the original Lisa from Silent Hill 1 was modeled after the nurse from The Exorcist III. Silent Hill Origins' Lisa's attire would be connected that way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5OGQr3xdfM
For sure, obviously Climax didn't come up with the original design for Lisa, but she could have been seen as some kind of stand in if they wanted to go with a reference
Silent Hill Origins and Taxi Driver doesn't seem to share a common theme other than portraying a very lonely, socially awkward man, but some references could work if there were an intention:

- In both intros, there's a close-up of each protagonist's eyes as they are driving in their respective vehicles. That kind of shot isn't all that common these days from what I gather. A similar shot of Grady's eyes is shown in the Bad Ending, too. This could be a visual reference.
- A scene where Bickle almost runs over Iris who is accompanied by her co-worker/friend. Grady almost runs over Alessa. They each go after their respective characters afterwards.
- Both characters suffer(?) from sleep deprivation. Bickle is an insomniac and Grady cannot get any sleep due to nightmares.
- Bickle asks for Wizard's advice. Wizard seems to know that Bickle is troubled and says something like, "get drunk, get laid, do anything." Buddy gives a similar advice to Grady to get laid as a cure to his sleep deprivation problem.
I wouldn't say the connection is too far-fetched, both Bickle and Grady are sorta plopped into a world they view as crazy; New York nightlife and Silent Hill respectively. As a graveyard shifter myself, walking around town in the dead of night sometimes feels like walking around South Vale.

Honestly, I think you gave more evidence to my point than I did with those examples.
rodox_head

Post by rodox_head »

We found the original inspiration for Travis, and it wasn't De Niro like I thought:
https://youtube.com/shorts/ni5mDo84TTA?feature=share